Foremost car insurance review Jan 2021
Get car insurance coverage without a perfect driving history.
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if you want flexible payments and discounts.
- Pick something else if you want an online quote or have a clean driving record.
- Drivers with a history of accidents or claims or who need an SR-22 can get coverage.
New car protection
|States served||48 states (available everywhere except Hawaii and Massachusetts)|
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||12 months, monthly, custom|
|Claims methods||online, phone, in-person|
- Supports high-risk policy holders
- Financial solidity
- Dynamite Deductible Endorsement program
- Overall positive ratings
- Online quotes unavailable
- Factors credit score into policies
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Roslyn McKenna is an insurance publisher for Finder, where she's driven to help people get a great deal on insurance to protect their families and finances. Roslyn earned a BA in writing and communications from Maryville College and has written professionally for more than a decade, showing up on Bankrate, MSN and Reader's Digest.
Foremost strives for accessible and affordable insurance, priding itself with coverage that other providers don’t offer. It’s broadly recognized as an insurer for high-risk drivers, which means you can get coverage even with an imperfect record and credit score. However, low credit could factor into a high premium, making it necessary to get quotes across multiple providers to find the best rate for your financial and driving record.
What car insurance coverage does Foremost offer?
Despite its wide range of coverage options, Foremost is best known for its mobile home and auto insurance offerings. Its willingness to accept high-risk drivers makes it great for those having trouble finding coverage elsewhere. However, its commitment to customer service and vast network of independent agents make it a feasible choice for almost anyone.
- Liability protection. Coverage when you’re at fault in an accident that results in property damage or bodily harm.
- Collision/comprehensive damage. Pays for damage caused to your car if you hit another car or object; also covers damage from fire, flooding, hail, theft or vandalism.
- Personal injury protection. Covers the cost of doctors, hospitalization or even funerals if you or a passenger is injured or killed, no matter who is at fault in the accident.
- Uninsured motorists coverage. Pays for costs of damage or injury from a hit-and-run accident or an incident where the other driver is uninsured. This covers you and your passengers on medical expenses, lost wages and other injury-related losses.
- Underinsured motorists coverage. This coverage takes care of the gap between someone else’s policy limits and the actual cost of your medical expenses after an accident.
- Loan/lease coverage. If your car is totaled, this type of coverage will pay off your loan or lease so you’re not stuck with payments for a car you can’t drive.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Foremost offer?
Foremost specializes in auto insurance for high-risk drivers, so its special programs are fairly limited. With that being said, here’s what’s available:
- Rental reimbursement. If your vehicle is out of commission, Foremost will reimburse your rental car costs up to the limits of your coverage.
- Towing and roadside service. Reimburses you if your car needs to be towed or if you request roadside assistance and you pay out of pocket.
- Dynamite Deductible® Endorsement. Foremost will reduce your deductible for Comprehensive or Collision losses by $50 for every semi-annual policy renewal or $100 for every annual policy renewal.
- Learning center. Foremost offers a comprehensive learning center packed with helpful resources to help you learn more about insurance and improve your skills on the road.
What discounts can I get with Foremost?
Foremost offers a handful of discounts on its auto insurance coverage. The website isn’t overly specific about the size of each discount, but there are a number of ways you can save.
- Auto pay. Receive discounted rates when you pay your bills through electronic funds transfer.
- Multi-line. Receive discounted rates when you have multiple insurance policies with Foremost.
- Multi-vehicle. Receive discounted rates when you have more than one vehicle insured on your policy.
- Teen driver. Receive a discount if one of your insured drivers is under the age of 19.
- Away at school. Receive a discount if any of your insured drivers are away at school.
- Paid in full. Receive a discount when you pay your premiums in a single, lump-sum payment.
- E-mail. Receive a discount for giving Foremost your email address.
- Transfer. Receive a discount when you transfer from another provider to Foremost Insurance.
- Clean driving record. Receive a discount if you’ve had no accidents or infractions in the past three years.
Pros and cons of Foremost car insurance
- Supports high-risk policyholders. Some drivers have difficulty getting insured. Foremost is known to be an insurer that tolerates greater risk from its policyholders than other providers, which can be helpful if you’re in a tough spot and need to get insured now.
- Financial solidity. Partly because it’s backed by the Farmers Insurance Group and Zurich International, Foremost is known to be financially strong. It has a top-tier financial stability rating from S&P, among others.
- Dynamite Deductible Endorsement program. Get $50 off your deductible for every twice annual policy renewal. The lower your deductible, the less you’ll end up paying when car repairs or replacements are needed.
- Overall positive ratings. While Foremost has received mixed to negative customer reviews, it’s accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has an independent rating of A-. In addition, it’s part of the Farmers Insurance Group, which is also BBB accredited with an A+ rating.
- Online quotes unavailable. Unlike many providers, Foremost has no online tool for you to get a quote for any of its policies.
- Factors credit score into policies. In some states, Foremost factors credit scores into approval or denial of your application. This means if you have a poor credit score, you may be denied on that basis alone — or your great credit can help you get a lower rate.
- No online applications. Unfortunately, you won’t be able to apply for coverage online. Instead, you’ll need to locate an agent and apply through them.
Alternatives to Foremost
How to apply for Foremost car insurance
Unfortunately, this provider doesn’t accept online applications. You can use the Find An Insurance Agent tool on Foremost’s website to locate an agent in your area. You’ll then need to contact the agent directly to get a quote and apply for insurance.
Foremost car insurance reviews and complaints
BBB gives Farmers Insurance, Foremost’s parent company, an A+ rating based on factors such as regulatory compliance, transparency, safeguarding privacy and integrity, as of October 2020.
This provider holds a composite score of 2.5 out of 5 possible stars, a rating that considers both customer reviews and the official BBB rating. However, there are a number of complaints about this provider, with the most common complaints being about Foremost’s insurance services themselves. Other complaints include billing and payment issues.
When assessing a product or service by reading reviews, it’s important to remember that many customers are unlikely to review something unless they want to rant or rave. This is one reason the BBB gives a composite score that takes customer reviews into account but doesn’t entirely rely on them for a rating.
How to contact Foremost
There are a number of ways you can contact Foremost Insurance Group.
- Phone: 1-888-888-0080
- Online: Fill out an online email form on the Contact Us page.
- Fax: 1-800-325-1507
- Mail: Foremost Insurance Group, P.O. Box 0915, Carol Stream, IL 60132-0915
- In person: Enter your ZIP code into the Find An Insurance Agent tool to find the agent nearest you.
Frequently asked questions about Foremost car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.