FordPass™ Rewards Visa® Review
This store card is hampered by a subpar rewards program.
- Get this card if you regularly spend at Ford dealerships and want to earn and spend rewards on those purchases.
- Pick something else if you want a stronger, more flexible rewards card.
- Apply with a good credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 10x
Intro purchase APR
for the first 6 billing cycles (then 15.99% to 26.99% variable)
|Product Name||FordPass™ Rewards Visa®|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 6 billing cycles (then 15.99% to 26.99% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||15.99% to 26.99% variable|
|Balance transfer fee||$10 or 5% of the transaction, whichever is greater|
|Penalty APR||25.24% fixed|
|Foreign transaction fee||3% of the transaction value|
|Interest free period||Up to 21 days|
|Late payment fee||Up to $40|
|Returned payment fee||Up to $35|
Steven Dashiell is a credit cards writer at Finder. He's worked on 250 Finder articles and counting, helping readers embrace and maximize credit cards. Backed by nearly a decade of research and reporting experience, Steve's work can be seen on Debt.com, CreditCards.com and Lifehacker.
Like most “store” cards, the ultimate worth of the FordPass™ Rewards Visa® comes down to the rewards value. Unfortunately, points earned with this card are worth only about a half cent each. This is lower than some other automobile cards out there such as the BMW Card for Motorrad. But given the siloed nature of automobile cards, you can’t just switch over to the BMW Card unless you wanted to buy a brand new BMW car to go with it.
How to apply for the FordPass™ Rewards Visa®
To apply for the FordPass™ Rewards Visa®:
- Visit the FordPass™ Rewards Visa® site.
- Fill out the application form.
- Click the button that says Sign in & apply now to start the application process.
- You’ll need to be a FordPass member to apply, so you can simply create an account here if you need by clicking the apply button.
- After signing in and filling out the application, click Submit to send off your information. You should hear back shortly after.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll want a good credit score of 670 or higher to qualify for the FordPass™ Rewards Visa®.
FordPass™ Rewards Visa® benefits
- Rewards. You’ll earn 5% back on Ford dealership purchases, including service and parts. You’ll also earn 3% back on dining purchases and 1% back on everything else.
- Signup bonus. Earn a $100 statement credit after you spend $3,000 within your first 3 billing cycles of account opening. Also earn 11,000 FordPass Rewards points after your first purchase while enrolled in the FordPass program.
- Annual bonus. Earn 200 every year when you spend $6,000 in 12 consecutive billing cycles.
- No annual fee. You won’t pay anything to use this card.
- Intro APR. You’ll have a 0% intro APR on purchases for 6 billing cycles from the date of purchase on Ford dealership purchases over $499, reverting to 15.99% to 26.99%.
What to watch out for
- Reward restrictions. Points earned in the FordPass Rewards program can’t be redeemed for cash back, and you can’t earn points while abroad. You can also only redeem your rewards in person or through the FordPass app, not through an associated Ford dealership website.
- Low point value. Points earned in the FordPass Rewards program are only worth about a half cent a piece. The rewards standard in most programs is 1 cent per point.
- High fees. Balance transfer fees and cash advance fees will run you the greater of $10 or 5% of the transfer or cash advance.
How does the FordPass Rewards Visa Card stack up to the competition?
To get a better understanding of the strength of the FordPass™ Rewards Visa®, we’ll need to compare it to a similar card: the BMW Card for Motorrad.
|Feature||FordPass™ Rewards Visa®||BMW Card for Motorrad|
|APR||0%% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 12 billing cycles, reverting to 15.24% – 24.24% variable|
|Point value||Half a cent||1 cent|
|Points expire?||After 365 days of no account activity||After 5 years from earning|
As we can see, the BMW Card for Motorrad doesn’t have the same loyalty program earning potential as the FordPass™ Rewards Visa®. However, it does have a stronger point value compared to the FordPass™ Rewards Visa®, so you could be earning more value, even if you’re technically earning fewer points. The BMW Card for Motorrad also comes with a 12 billing cycles intro APR on purchases and balance transfers, which offers the card some extra flexibility.
With that said, both cards fall into the same hyper-niche automobile card category. These cards are strictly for serious automobile spenders and are unlikely to convince you to purchase a BMW over a Ford or vice versa. They should be used as supplemental cards to your existing financial (and automobile) preferences.
FordPass™ Rewards Visa®reviews and complaints
As of November 2020, First National Bank of Omaha, the bank behind the FordPass™ Rewards Visa®, earns an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and has been accredited with the organization since 1985.
The bank received a 1.24 out of 5 rating from customer reviews and 203 complaints have been filed.
Ford fans looking to add a little extra earning potential to Ford purchases might find the FordPass™ Rewards Visa® a decent supplement to their existing card lineup. But reward restrictions and a weak point value hamper the overall strength of this card. If you’re looking for a more robust rewards option, compare rewards cards to find one that can add some oomph to your wallet.