Revolut review Germany
Benefit from simple international money transfers, budgeting tools and €0 card option.
Revolut is a finance app and card that are designed to let you easily manage and spend your money. It’s a good option for those who want a simple way to manage their money, save on foreign currency and want access to premium features.
This review covers everything you can do with Revolut in Germany, including how it works, what it costs and its pros and cons, to help you establish whether Revolut is right for you.
Currency conversion Fee
|Product Name||Revolut Standard|
|Management Fee||0 €|
|Card delivery||Up to 9 working days|
|Supported currencies||GBP, SEK, PLN, CHF, DKK, NOK, USD, CZK, CNY, CAD, AUD, BGN, GEL, RON, EUR, HKD, JPY, ZAR, SGD, MXN, THB, TRY, SAR, RUB, ILS, HRK, QAR|
|Card Fee||0 €|
|ATM Withdrawal||1 €|
|International ATM Withdrawal||1 € - 2%|
|Currency conversion Fee||0.5%|
|Free ATM Withdrawal Limit||200 € per month or 5 withdrawals|
|Mobile payments||Apple Pay, Google Pay|
|Go to site|
How it works
Revolut is a money app that lets you spend globally at a minimal cost. When you sign up, you will need to choose between four account tiers, starting at €0 per month for the Standard account.
For all account tiers, Revolut gives you an IBAN account, a UK account and a debit card so you can spend your money. You can spend in over 150 currencies at the interbank exchange rate and exchange 29 fiat currencies. There are a number of features that come with each account tier, such as free ATM withdrawals, as well as exclusive features that come with paid accounts.
Key features of Revolut
- Current account and IBAN. You get a UK account number and sort code as well as a European IBAN. You can set up recurring payments, withdraw cash at ATMs, make contactless payments and use both Apple Pay and Google Pay. You’ll be able to view your balance on a spending-visualisations screen.
- Make international payments. The app lets you transfer money to 30 currencies at the interbank exchange rate (the same rates banks give each other).
- Spend globally fee-free. All spending abroad is also charged at the interbank rate.
- Apple Pay and Google Pay. You can pay with either Google Pay or Apple Pay using Revolut.
- Pay friends. You’re able to pay other people with ease or use the split-bill feature to divide a group spend.
- View spending habits. Using analytics, your spending will be categorised by type of transaction, by merchant or by country.
- Control your card and account. You can lock and unlock your card in the Revolut app as well as set monthly spending limits.
- Save money. Revolut’s Vault feature let you build up funds for a specific funding goal. Keep in mind it doesn’t pay any interest like a normal savings account, but it can be helpful for saving towards short-term goals.
- Access to Revolut Junior. Revolut Junior is a money management platform aimed at children aged seven to 17 years old. This feature lets parents or guardians securely manage their child’s spending in a sub-account within the app.
- Invest in cryptocurrency. You can invest in over 30 cryptocurrencies including Bitcoin, Ether, Ripple and Stellar. Revolut lets you invest from just €1. You can then sell and transfer your crypto, set up price alerts and auto exchanges and track mark movements in real-time.
Coming soon: Revolut Stays
With Revolut Stays, you’d be able to discover and book amazing accommodation all around the world within a few taps on the app. So whether you’re seeking bargain B&Bs or luxury lodges, you can get them all sorted out quickly through Revolut – with exclusive rates and no extra booking fees*.
If you’re on a Revolut Premium or Metal plan, you’d also get to enjoy up to 10% instant cashback, plus a whole suite of other travel perks.
At the time of writing (27 July 2021), Revolut Stays is not yet available but the team has announced that it’ll be coming to the Revolut app soon. So keep your eyes peeled for more updates!
*Do note that fees and charges from accommodation providers may apply.
Revolut account options
Revolut offers four account tiers: Standard, Plus, Premium and Metal. Each of these accounts come with different levels of benefits and a different monthly fee.
Fees and rates
- Monthly fees: You will pay no monthly fee for the Standard account, €2.99 for Plus, €7.99 for the Premium account and €13.99 for the Metal account.
- ATM fees. A 2% ATM fee will apply if you withdraw over the monthly limit for your chosen account: 200 € per month or 5 withdrawals for Standard, €2.99 for Plus and 400 € per month for Premium and 800 € per month for Metal.
- Currency exchange fees. If you have the Standard or Plus accounst you are limited to Up to 1.000 £ per month, after which a 0.5% fee is charged.
- SWIFT transfers. Premium and Metal account holders are entitled to one free SWIFT transfer per month.
- Investments markup. There is a markup on cryptocurrencies and commodities exchange for all accounts. For Standard and Plus, you’ll be charged a 2.5% markup for crypto and 1.5% for commodities. Premium and Metal account holders are charged a 1.5% markup for crypto and 0.25% for commodities.
Revolut is a great option for those that travel often, trade cryptocurrency or want budgeting tools and premium banking features. Each of the Revolut accounts suits different needs, so take time to consider the features and decide which account level will be useful to you. If you’re going to use all the features on offer, the Premium and Metal accounts are excellent options to consider.
If you’re unsure if you’ll use the features in the higher tier accounts, sign up for a free account first. Then, if you find yourself wanting more after getting to grips with the entry-level accounts, you can easily upgrade to Revolut Premium or Revolut Metal later on.
If you’re looking for exclusivity in the form of concierge, priority customer support and cashback on purchases, it’s the Revolut Metal account that you’ll want to turn to. You’ll find all these features and more. Just be sure to shop around and compare your options first.
Experiences from other Revolut users
Revolut scores 4.3 over 5 based on 80,900+ reviews and is rated Excellent on Trustpilot.
|User ratings||# of reviews||What do customers say|
|4.3 / 5||80,979|
*Note: Information provided is based on the reviews and rating on Trustpilot (14 May 2021).
How to apply
You can sign up to Revolut by downloading the app to your smartphone and registering. Click Go to site on this page to get started. You will need to verify your identity by providing a valid ID and taking a selfie. After you sign up, you can request a contactless Revolut card and begin using your account.