DCU Visa® Platinum Credit Card review
Get a variable APR as low as 8.5% on both purchases and balance transfers.
- Get this card if you think you’ll qualify for a low APR and you want few fees.
- Pick something else if you want a intro APR or rewards.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
8.5% to 18%
Purchase APR (variable)
Recommended credit score
|Product Name||DCU Visa® Platinum Credit Card|
|Purchase APR||8.5% to 18% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||8.5% to 18% variable|
|Balance transfer fee||None|
|Cash advance rate||8.5% to 18% variable|
|Cash advance fee||None|
|Penalty APR||18% fixed|
|Foreign transaction fee||None|
|Interest free period||Up to 25 days|
|Late payment fee||Up to $35|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
The DCU Visa® Platinum Credit Card is about as straightforward a card as you can find. You’ll get an APR of 8.5% to 18% variable for purchases, balance transfers and cash advances. On top of paying $0 annual fee, you’ll pay no balance transfer, foreign transaction or cash advance fees.
The card may be a good choice if you think you’ll qualify for a low APR. However, you may want to compare other cards, especially those that offer 0% introductory APRs.
Should you get the DCU Visa® Platinum Credit Card?
- If you want a 0% intro APR or rewards, check out other cards.
- If you think you’ll qualify for a low APR and you want few fees, the DCU Visa® Platinum Credit Card may be a good choice.
ANNUAL FEE: $0
A $0 annual fee makes it easy to keep the DCU Visa® Platinum Credit Card long term.
Digital Federal Credit Union doesn’t charge balance transfer, cash advance or foreign transaction fees.
You’ll also like…
Potentially low APR.
Depending on your creditworthiness, you may qualify for a variable APR as low as 8.5% on purchases, balance transfers and cash advances.
Compare intro APR credit cards
How does a balance transfer work with this card?
What to watch out for
Digital Federal Credit Union may apply a penalty APR of 18% fixed to your account if you make a late payment. This rate applies until you make six consecutive on-time payments.
DCU’s penalty APR is much lower than that of other credit card providers, as it’s not uncommon to see one above 25%. Still, don’t be afraid to compare other credit cards if you don’t like penalty APRs. Plenty of providers don’t charge them.
What to know before you apply
To apply for the DCU Visa® Platinum Credit Card, you must be at least 18 years old.
Information you’ll need
- Your full name and contact information.
- Your residential status.
- Your annual income, source of income and employment information.
- Your Social Security number.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of approval if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 to 850.
How to apply for the DCU Visa® Platinum Credit Card
1. Go to the Digital Federal Credit Union website and click Apply Now.
2. Select the Credit Card from the Credit Card Type drop-down menu. Then select New Visa, and click Continue.
3. Complete the application with details like your name, address, annual income and Social Security number.
4. Review and submit your application.
How long will it take to be approved?
Typically, credit card providers decide on your application approval within 10 days. In some cases, your application is approved immediately.
If there are issues with your application, you may need to wait up to a few weeks to hear back.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make timely payments. Pay your bill online at DCU’s site, where you can enroll in autopay.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of at least 25 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late payments come with fees of up to $35.
- Contact customer service. If you have questions, contact DCU at 800-328-8797.
Bottom line$0 annual fee, a potentially low APR and almost no transaction fees — If these benefits resonate with you, then the DCU Visa® Platinum Credit Card may be a good choice.
Otherwise, look into other cards and providers offering enticing intros and even rewards.
Frequently asked questions