DCU Visa® Platinum Credit Card review
Get a variable APR as low as 8.5% on both purchases and balance transfers.
- Get this card if you think you’ll qualify for a low APR and you want few fees.
- Pick something else if you want a intro APR or rewards.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
8.5% to 18% variable
Minimum Credit Score
How to apply for the DCU Visa® Platinum Credit Card
- Go to the Digital Federal Credit Union website and click Apply Now.
- Select the Credit Card from the Credit Card Type drop-down menu. Then select New Visa, and click Continue.
- Complete the application with details like your name, address, annual income and Social Security number.
- Review and submit your application.
How long will it take to be approved?
Typically, credit card providers decide on your application approval within 10 days. In some cases, your application is approved immediately.
If there are issues with your application, you may need to wait up to a few weeks to hear back.
The DCU Visa® Platinum Credit Card is about as straightforward a card as you can find. You’ll get an APR of 8.5% to 18% variable for purchases, balance transfers and cash advances. On top of paying $0 annual fee, you’ll pay no balance transfer, foreign transaction or cash advance fees.
The card may be a good choice if you think you’ll qualify for a low APR. However, you may want to compare other cards, especially those that offer 0% introductory APRs.
Should you get the DCU Visa® Platinum Credit Card?
- If you want a 0% intro APR or rewards, check out other cards.
- If you think you’ll qualify for a low APR and you want few fees, the DCU Visa® Platinum Credit Card may be a good choice.
- ANNUAL FEE: $0 A $0 annual fee makes it easy to keep the DCU Visa® Platinum Credit Card long term.
- Limited fees. Digital Federal Credit Union doesn’t charge balance transfer, cash advance or foreign transaction fees.
You’ll also like…
- Potentially low APR. Depending on your creditworthiness, you may qualify for a variable APR as low as 8.5% on purchases, balance transfers and cash advances.
Compare intro APR credit cards
How does a balance transfer work with this card?
1. Apply for the card. You can make a balance transfer when you open your credit card or request one later. To make a balance transfer, you’ll need the account number of your existing balance. You’ll also need personal information like your income, employment details and Social Security number.
You’ll pay $0 fee to make a balance transfer.
2. Pay off your transferred balance over time. Digital Federal Credit Union doesn’t offer an introductory APR. Rather, you receive an APR of on balance transfers. To avoid a ballooning balance from growing interest, try to pay more than the minimum payment each month.
What to watch out for
- Penalty APR. Digital Federal Credit Union may apply a penalty APR of 18% fixed to your account if you make a late payment. This rate applies until you make six consecutive on-time payments.
DCU’s penalty APR is much lower than that of other credit card providers, as it’s not uncommon to see one above 25%. Still, don’t be afraid to compare other credit cards if you don’t like penalty APRs. Plenty of providers don’t charge them.
What to know before you apply
To apply for the DCU Visa® Platinum Credit Card, you must be at least 18 years old.
Information you’ll need
- Your full name and contact information.
- Your residential status.
- Your annual income, source of income and employment information.
- Your Social Security number.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of approval if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 to 850.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make timely payments. Pay your bill online at DCU’s site, where you can enroll in autopay.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of at least 25 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late payments come with fees of up to $35.
- Contact customer service. If you have questions, contact DCU at 800-328-8797.
Bottom line$0 annual fee, a potentially low APR and almost no transaction fees — If these benefits resonate with you, then the DCU Visa® Platinum Credit Card may be a good choice.
Otherwise, look into other cards and providers offering enticing intros and even rewards.
Frequently asked questions
- How do I qualify for a low APR?
You’re more likely to qualify for a low APR if you have a good credit score of 670 or higher.
- Why should I get a balance transfer card?
A balance transfer card can be useful if you’re paying heavy interest on your current credit card. You can move your existing balance to another card that offers low or no interest for a period of time. This can help you pay off your debt faster and more cheaply.
What is a balance transfer?
- Why should I get a credit card from a credit union?
Credit union credit cards tend to have lower ongoing interest rates and annual fees than those provided by larger financial institutions.
- Does DCU offer loans?
Yes. You could get a personal loan from Digital Federal Credit Union. DCU personal loans come with reasonable rates and flexible loan amounts that are based on your creditworthiness and ability to pay.
DCU also offers a range of other loan types including auto loans and business loans.