Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Citi Prestige® Credit Card vs. The Platinum Card® from American Express
Two top-tier cards with premium travel rewards and perks.
The Citi Prestige® Credit Card has a slightly lower $495 annual fee than the Amex Platinum Card, which costs $550 a year. However, Amex’s card has higher total travel credits versus the Citi card’s. The Amex Platinum Card offers superior rewards for hotel spending, while the Citi Prestige is the far better choice for restaurant spending.
Summary of card features
Citi Prestige® Credit Card
- Signup bonus. 50,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 in the first 3 months of account opening. Reward points. 5x points on air travel and restaurants, 3x points on hotels and cruises and 1x points on all other purchases.
- Complimentary fourth night. Book four consecutive nights at a hotel through ThankYou.com and get a complimentary fourth night stay twice every year.
- Annual travel credit. Get up to $250 travel credit every calendar year.
- VIP lounge access. Priority Pass Select lounge access to hundreds of VIP lounges.
The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Membership reward points. Earn 5x points on flights and prepaid hotels booked directly through Amex Travel. You can use your points toward gift cards, travel rewards, statement credit and more. If you redeem these points for the highest valued rewards, you'll get 5% back. On all other eligible purchases, you'll earn 1x points.
- Welcome offer. Get 60,000 membership rewards points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of card membership. That's up to $1,200 worth of rewards when transferred to travel partners.
- Airline fee credit. Select a qualifying airline and receive a $200 airline fee credit each year to cover incidental charges, such as checked bags or in-flight purchases.
The Citi Prestige® Credit Card and The Platinum Card® from American Express can give you that VIP feeling, but is that what you want? If you’re shaking your head yes, the next move is to apply for whichever card has features aligned with your spending and lifestyle.
If neither have you jumping for joy, there are plenty of other credit cards out there. Compare the features of some other rewards credit cards below to find the perfect piece of plastic.
Compare travel credit cards
Ask an Expert