Rein in your day-to-day spending with this personalized reloadable card.
- Sign up for this card for nationwide ATM access and multiple ways to load your card without a credit check.
- Pick something else if you plan to deposit less than $1,000 a month — otherwise, you’ll pay a monthly maintenance fee.
|Monthly fee with a direct deposit||$0|
|Signature transaction fee||$0|
|PIN transaction fee||$0|
Prepaid cards work a lot like debit cards. They’re a good option if you need help with budgeting or don’t want the hassles that come with a traditional credit card.
The Card.com Visa Prepaid Card is just one type of reloadable card on the market that you can use anywhere that accepts Visa. Dip your card at more than 39,000 ATMs across the country to withdraw funds. And when your funds run low, reload the card online, in stores or through an app.
However, if you deposit less than $1,000 a month, the card’s fees may outweigh its benefits.
What you’ll like
The Card.com Visa Prepaid Card boasts a slew of benefits, including the ability to choose the look of your card from an extensive gallery of fun designs. All without the need for a bank account.
Easy to use
- Fee-free ATMs. Use your card at more than 39,000 MoneyPass ATMs across the country to withdraw cash.
- No minimum balance. You can load as little as you need onto your card up to a maximum $15,000.
- Speedy signup. Apply in a matter of minutes, and pay no fee to order or activate your card.
- Choice of plans. Pay one maintenance fee for a single card or family plan of up to three card accounts.
- Handy online banking tools. Check your balance, upload checks, transfer money and search for ATMs through the app or your online account.
- Early direct deposit program. Receive your paycheck or federal benefits up to two days faster at no extra charge. To qualify, your payroll or benefits payment provider must submit the deposit early.
- No direct deposit holds. With Card.com, you can access funds as soon as they’re loaded onto your card account.
Convenience and security
- Multiple ways to reload. Add cash to your card by direct deposit, bank transfers, checks, card-to-card transfers and virtual wallet transfers from PayPal or Google Wallet. Or visit a Western Union or Green Dot location with cash.
- Fraud protection. The card is issued by the Central Bank of Kansas City, which is FDIC-insured. It’s also protected by Visa’s Zero Liability Policy for unauthorized transactions.
- No credit check. Because it’s not a credit card, there’s no soft or hard pull on your credit.
What to watch out for
The prepaid card may be popular, but that doesn’t mean it’s perfect. Weigh a few of its drawbacks against your needs.
- Not nationwide. This card isn’t available in Connecticut or Vermont. If you move to one of those states, Card.com may close the card and return the remaining balance to you.
- Limited support. Help is available only by phone weekdays from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. CT.
- Reload and transfer limits. With some methods, the limits can be low. For example, card-to-card transfers can’t exceed $300 a day, and Western Union cash loads are limited to $900 a day.
- ATM withdrawal limits. You can withdraw up to $500 in cash per day.
- Monthly $9.95 maintenance fee. Card.com waives the fee if you sign up for a qualifying direct deposit or deposit $1,000 or more in the previous month.
- Ongoing costs. A long list of fees includes $2.95 for each withdrawal at an ATM overseas or outside the MoneyPass network, $0.95 for each balance inquiry at an out-of-network ATM, $1.95 for paper statements and $7.95 to replace a lost or stolen card. There’s also an over-the-counter withdrawal fee of $2.95 per transaction.
- Foreign transaction fees. Jetsetters may be put off by this fee equal to 2.95% of each transaction in US dollars.
Compare with other prepaid cards
What should I know before I apply?
You must be at least 18 years old and provide:
- Your full name, address and date of birth.
- Government-issued documents, like your driver’s license or state ID.
How to apply for the Card.com Visa Prepaid Card
Applying for a card is simple: all you need to do is hop online and fill out an online order form. If Card.com can verify your identity, you’ll be approved within minutes. Follow these steps:
- Go to the Card.com website.
- Select Sign up for a single card plan.
- Choose your design. There are thousands on offer. Press See more if you need other options.
- Enter your first name, last name and email address. Click Next.
- Provide your address, date of birth and identifying documents.
How long will it take to get my debit card?
You can expect to receive your card in seven to 10 business days. Once you activate your card online or over the phone, you’ll be able to load funds onto it and use it immediately.
What do customers say about Card.com?
Card.com has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau since 2014 and boasts an A+ rating.
But customer reviews tell a different story. The BBB has registered 252 complaints in the past three years, most relating to problems with products and services. At the time of writing, Card.com earns 1.5 stars based on 34 reviews.
On TrustPilot, Card.com earns a four-star rating based on 851 reviews. Customers praise the simple signup, informative website and friendly customer service team. Some say the card is ideal to for everyday expenses.
I have the card. Now what?
Make the most of your new card with easy reloads, including options that can help you avoid the monthly fee.
- Load money online. Deposit funds from an external bank account, upload and deposit checks on an app or transfer funds from an eligible digital wallet.
- Set up direct deposit. Enroll in direct deposit through your customer account. You can automatically deposit all or part of your employer paycheck and any government benefits.
- Avoid fees. Keep fees low by depositing at least $1,000 into your account each month, opting for electronic statements, sending funds through direct deposit or ACH transfers and using only MoneyPass ATMs.
- Get help. Call 866-345-4520 weekdays from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. CT, email email@example.com or send a message on Facebook or Twitter. If your card is lost or stolen, report it 24/7 online or over the phone.
Card.com is a popular choice for prepaid cards, accepted just about anywhere that Visa is accepted. Access your money at ATM nationwide while managing your spending from your phone.
You might want to look elsewhere if you can’t make steady deposits, given the monthly fee. And a string of other fees can eat into your balance, if you’re not careful.
Before applying, read our guide to prepaid cards to learn more about benefits and perks you could be eligible for.