Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Car insurance calculator
How much is car insurance? Compare rates online in seconds
Updated . What changed?
Car insurance savings calculatorCalculate how much you could save by switching car insurance.
|Annual car insurance cost|
Fill out the form and click "Calculate" to see how much less you could be paying for car insurance.
Expected savings: $
How are car insurance rates calculated?
Your individual circumstances, your car and the policy you choose will affect the price you pay for car insurance. Insurers calculate cost based on your perceived risk.
- Age. Young drivers under 25, as well as seniors, will pay more for car insurance. Less driving experience means higher rates.
- Gender. Generally women pay slightly less for car insurance, although the gap widens for male drivers under 25, who pay the most.
- Job. Some occupations are riskier than others or lead to more time behind the wheel.
- Marital status. If you get married, you’ll see your premiums decrease.
- Location. Some areas are at higher risk of theft, storms, accidents and other hazards. You’ll see different rates based on your state, city, ZIP and address.
- Driving record. The more claims and violations you have on your driving record, the more you can expect to pay for your car insurance.
- Credit score. Credit score is correlated with risk, so a higher score means a lower rate, except in California, Hawaii and Massachusetts.
- Typical driving habits. Your typical distance driven, how often you get behind the wheel and where you drive all affect your rates.
- Your car. Your car’s make and model are the biggest factors in insurance rates. Insurers also look at your car’s safety ratings, safety features and theft rates.
- Coverage. Higher coverage maximums and additional types of coverage increase rates. A higher deductible also means lower rates.
Get car insurance quotes online
Comparing costs is a good way to start your search for the right car insurance, but price and discounts aren’t the only factor. Understand what you’re covered for with each policy and what level of coverage you need. Research each provider to make sure you’re happy not just with your bills but also customer support, claims process, account management and more.
Compare your options online to make your search easy.
Questions about how to calculate car insurance
Ask an Expert