Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Capital One travel insurance: Which credit cards have it?
A wide selection of cards, but few coverage options.
What's in this guide?
- Types of Capital One travel insurance policies
- Travel insurance provided by Capital One
- Compare Capital One credit cards with travel insurance
- Who is eligible for Capital One travel insurance coverage?
- How to file a Capital One travel insurance claim
- Read more about credit card travel insurance offered by different brands
- Bottom line
- Frequently asked questions
Types of Capital One travel insurance policies
Here is a breakdown of the two types of travel insurance you’ll receive when using certain Capital One credit cards.
Auto rental collision damage waiver.
You’ll have car rental coverage for damage due to collision or theft on eligible rental car vehicles.
Travel accident insurance.
Receive coverage against death and other bodily losses while traveling with a licensed common carrier. You must have charged your entire fare to your Capital One card.
What does “common carrier” mean?
Definitions vary, but a common carrier is often any public form of transportation that requires a ticket — for example, an airplane, bus or train.
Covered losses for Capital One travel accident insurance
Travel insurance provided by Capital One
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card|
|Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card|
|Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards Credit Card|
|Capital One® SavorOne® Cash Rewards Credit Card|
|Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card|
|Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card|
|Capital One® QuicksilverOne® Cash Rewards Credit Card|
|Capital One® Secured Mastercard®|
|Journey® Student Rewards from Capital One®|
|Capital One® Platinum Credit Card|
|Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business|
|Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business|
|Capital One® Spark® Cash Select for Business|
|Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business|
|Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business|
|Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business|
What to watch out for
Capital One’s travel insurance policies are subject to change.
To receive travel accident insurance, you’ll need to pay for the entirety of your fare using your Capital One credit card. Capital One will send you a full explanation of your card benefits and coverages when you open your account.
Compare Capital One credit cards with travel insurance
Who is eligible for Capital One travel insurance coverage?
All Capital One cardholders receive some form of travel insurance. If you want the coverage, however, you’ll need to purchase the entirety of your travel or rental using your credit card.
Cardholders, their spouse and legal dependents receive coverage under Capital One travel insurance. Car rental insurance obtained this way applies to the cardholder and anyone else listed as a driver on the rental agreement.
If you need to cover domestic partners or other family members, you’ll need to look for other insurance options.
Lost luggage reimbursement
Visa cardholders may be eligible to receive coverage for lost or damaged luggage. This is a perk under the Visa umbrella, so you can also gain other Visa perks for picking up a Capital One Visa card.
Do I receive coronavirus coverage?
Capital One doesn’t offer any insurance options that cover coronavirus. You can check out our coronavirus coverage guide for more information about credit card coverage options.
How to file a Capital One travel insurance claim
Filing your insurance claim differs slightly depending on which coverage you need to file.
In the event of a loss, you or your beneficiary should contact the claim administrator for a claim form. Contact information is available in your card’s guide to benefits.
You or your beneficiary will then complete the claim form. If the claim administrator deems the loss eligible, it will distribute the benefit to you or your beneficiary. A beneficiary is the person or entity of your choice who will receive an insurance benefit in the event of your death.
- Notify the Common Carrier to begin their claims process.
- Call the Capital One benefit administrator at 800-757-1274 to explain your loss. You need to make this call within 20 days of your loss date.
- Complete the claim form you receive from the benefit administrator. You need to complete and mail this form within 90 days of your loss date.
- Notify your insurance company.
Travel accident insurance
- Write and send a written claim notice to Capital One within 20 days of your accident.
- Complete the claim form you receive from Capital One. You need to send this back within 90 days of the date of your accident.
Auto rental collision damage
- Call the Capital One benefit administrator at 800-397-9010 within 45 days of your accident. You should call before liability has even been established.
- Obtain documentation from the auto rental company, including:
- A copy of the accident report form and claim document.
- A copy of the initial and final rental agreements.
- A copy of the repair estimate and itemized repair bill.
- Two photographs of the damaged vehicle.
- A police report.
- Submit these documents along with a completed auto rental claim form to the benefit administrator within 90 days of the date of your accident. You’ll also need to send:
- A copy of your receipt to indicate the vehicle was charged to your credit card.
- A statement from your insurance carrier showing the costs that you’re responsible for.
- A copy of your automobile insurance policy’s declarations page.
- Any other documentation your benefit administrator deems necessary.
How much coverage will I receive for travel accidents?
This depends on which Capital One card you have. Typically, you’ll have $100,000 to $250,000 of travel accident insurance, but the Savor cards offer up to $1,000,000 in coverage.
If your card is a Visa, your coverage may also vary if you have the Platinum or Signature version.
The following are the typical coverage amounts for Capital One cards. These values may vary based at Capital One’s discretion.
|Card||Amount of coverage|
|Capital One® Platinum Credit Card||$100,000|
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card||$250,000|
|Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card||$100,000 (Visa Platinum)|
$250,000 (Visa Signature)
|Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card||$100,000|
|Capital One® QuicksilverOne® Cash Rewards Credit Card||$100,000|
|Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards Credit Card||$1,000,000|
|Capital One® SavorOne® Cash Rewards Credit Card||$1,000,000|
|Journey® Student Rewards from Capital One®||$100,000|
|Capital One® Secured Mastercard®||$100,000|
|Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business||$250,000|
|Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business||$250,000|
|Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business||$250,000|
|Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business||None|
Read more about credit card travel insurance offered by different brands
While it’s convenient that every Capital One credit card comes with some form of travel protections, the cards are more limited in their coverage than other brands out there. Check out other issuers that offer credit cards with travel insurance if you’re looking for more robust coverage.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
BP Visa Credit Card review
Get up to 10 cents off on your BP and Amoco station gas purchases.
Best business tax software for 2021
Compare options if you’re self-employed, a freelancer, a partner and more.
Petal® 1 "No Annual Fee" Visa® Credit Card vs. Petal® 2 "Cash Back, No Fees" Visa® Credit Card
Two great cards for building your credit score.
CIT Savings Connect account review
CIT Savings Connect combines aspects of a checking and savings account in one product.
Sephora Credit Card review
Sephora regulars get to earn rewards on their purchases.
Capital One savings account interest rates for 2021
See how much interest you could earn with a savings account from Capital One.
Citi savings account interest rates for 2021
An online savings account with a tiered interest model but not-so-competitive rates.
Help your child learn to spend and save wisely with a virtual, COPPA-compliant debit card.
Best credit cards for rewards in 2021
Take advantage of miles, points and perks with a card that best fits your lifestyle.
Best balance transfer credit cards of 2021
Here are our top balance transfer picks for 2021.
Ask an Expert