We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
Capital One credit card travel insurance
With only accident and car rental coverage, your protections are limited.
Though there are limited travel insurance perks associated with Capital One credit cards, cardholders can still find a card that offers some of your desired protection. You may find that you need to supplement your insurance if you want more coverage.
What's in this guide?
Our pick for Capital One travel insurance
Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit CardRead more
Compare Capital One credit cards with travel insurance
Types of Capital One travel insurance policies
Auto rental collision damage waiver.
You’ll have coverage for damage due to collision or theft on eligible rental car vehicles.
Travel accident insurance.
Receive coverage for accidental death and dismemberment for you and your immediate family.
Travel insurance provided by Capital One
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card|
|Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card|
|Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards Credit Card|
|Capital One® SavorOne® Cash Rewards Credit Card|
|Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card|
|Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card|
|Capital One® QuicksilverOne® Cash Rewards Credit Card|
|Capital One® Secured Mastercard®|
|Journey® Student Rewards from Capital One®|
|Capital One® Platinum Credit Card|
|Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business|
|Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business|
|Capital One® Spark® Cash Select for Business|
|Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business|
|Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business|
|Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business|
What to watch out for
Capital One’s travel insurance policies are subject to change.
To receive travel accident insurance, you’ll need to pay for the entirety of your fare using your Capital One credit card. Capital One will send you a full explanation of your card benefits and coverages when you open your account.
Who is eligible for Capital One travel insurance coverage?
All Capital One cardholders receive some form of travel insurance. If you want the coverage, however, you’ll need to purchase the entirety of your travel or rental using your credit card.
Cardholders, their spouse and legal dependents receive coverage under Capital One travel insurance. That means if you need to cover domestic partners or other family members, you’ll need to look for other insurance options.
Lost luggage reimbursement
Visa cardholders may be eligible to receive coverage for lost or damaged luggage. This is a perk under the Visa umbrella, so you can also gain other Visa perks for picking up a Capital One Visa card.
How to file a Capital One travel insurance claim
Filing your insurance claim differs slightly depending on which coverage you need to file.
- Notify the Common Carrier to begin their claims process.
- Call the Capital One benefit administrator at 800-757-1274 to explain your loss. You need to make this call within 20 days of your loss date.
- Complete the claim form you receive from the benefit administrator. You need to complete and mail this form within 90 days of your loss date.
- Notify your insurance company.
Travel accident insurance
- Write and send a written claim notice to Capital One within 20 days of your accident.
- Complete the claim form you receive from Capital One. You need to send this back within 90 days of the date of your accident.
Auto rental collision damage
- Call the Capital One benefit administrator at 800-397-9010 within 45 days of your accident. You should call before liability has even been established.
- Obtain documentation from the auto rental company, including:
- A copy of the accident report form and claim document.
- A copy of the initial and final rental agreements.
- A copy of the repair estimate and itemized repair bill.
- Two photographs of the damaged vehicle.
- A police report.
- Submit these documents along with a completed auto rental claim form to the benefit administrator within 90 days of the date of your accident. You’ll also need to send:
- A copy of your receipt to indicate the vehicle was charged to your credit card.
- A statement from your insurance carrier showing the costs which you’re responsible for.
- A copy of your automobile insurance policy’s declarations page.
- Any other documentation your benefit administrator deems necessary.
Read more about credit card travel insurance
While it’s convenient that every Capital One credit card comes with some form of travel protections, the cards are more limited in their coverage than other brands out there. Compare travel credit cards if you’re looking for one that offers more robust insurance coverage.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert