We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
How to prequalify for Capital One credit cards
Get a customized list of cards before you apply.
Capital One’s prequalification tool can be especially useful if you don’t know which cards you’d likely get approval for.
Compare Capital One credit cards
What does prequalification mean?
If you’re prequalified, a bank has checked your credit with a soft pull and believes you could be a customer. According to some estimates, you could have an 80% to 90% chance of approval after getting prequalified.
Prequalification doesn’t guarantee approval. After you apply for a card, the provider will check your credit with a hard pull. You could still be denied if the bank has issues with your credit profile.
Soft pull vs. hard pull: What’s the difference?
A soft pull is a background check, and it won’t affect your credit. A bank will look into your credit to see if you may be a good fit.
A hard pull is a credit check that follows a credit application. The bank assesses your risk as a borrower. A hard pull will typically lower your credit score by a few points. This is a normal part of a credit application, and your score will rebound as you consistently make on-time payments.
What are the benefits of a Capital One prequalification?
- Better chances of approval. You can see cards that fit your credit profile, though nothing is guaranteed.
- You can still shop around. There’s no obligation to apply. Feel free to get prequalified with other banks.
- Your credit score won’t be affected. Keeping your credit score intact could increase your odds when you apply for a card.
How do I get prequalified for a Capital One credit card?
1. Go to the Capital One prequalification page.
2. Complete the prequalification form with your name, date of birth, Social Security number and residential address. Also, select which card benefit matters most to you and where your credit stands.
3. Click the box next to I understand that this is not a credit card application.
4. Review your application and click See your card offers to submit your prequalification request.
Capital One offers a short prequalification form. After you submit your information, the provider will show you card offers within 60 seconds.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert