Bellwether Smart Cash Card review
Get 1.5% cash back and a 0% balance transfer offer, but not much else.
- Get this card if you want a flat-rate rewards card with a balance transfer offer.
- Pick something else if you want to earn higher rewards rates.
- Apply with a good credit score of 670 or higher for best chances of approval.
Up to 1.5%
Intro purchase APR
for the first 12 billing cycles (then 12.99% to 22.99% variable)
|Product Name||Bellwether Smart Cash Card|
|Purchase APR||3.99% intro for the first 12 billing cycles (then 12.99% to 22.99% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first 12 billing cycles (then 12.99% to 22.99% variable)|
|Balance transfer fee||4%|
|Cash advance rate||12.99% to 22.99% variable|
|Cash advance fee||$10 or 4% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Penalty APR||24.99% variable|
|Foreign transaction fee||2% of the transaction value|
|Interest free period||Up to 25 days|
|Late payment fee||Up to $35|
|Returned payment fee||Up to $27|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The Bellwether Smart Cash Card offers unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases. This isn’t bad, but it’s hard to keep up with competitor cards like the Chase Freedom Unlimited®, which earns 3% and 5% back on a variety of categories, and 1.5% back on everything else. Plus, the Chase card offers a much higher signup bonus.
The only benefit that keeps Bellwether Smart Cash Card competitive is its long 0% intro APR on balance transfers. This makes the card a valuable debt-consolidation tool.
All things considered, the Bellwether Smart Cash Card could be a good choice for anyone looking for a cashback card with a balance transfer offer. But if earning rewards is your priority, you can find better cashback cards elsewhere.
Bellwether Smart Cash Card benefits
- Cash back. Earn 1.5% cash back on all purchases.
- Signup bonus. Earn a $50 cash bonus after you spend $1,000 in your first 90 days of account opening. Not bad but not nearly enough to beat competitor cards that offer $150 and $200 cash bonuses.
- Intro APR period on purchases. Get a 3.99% intro APR period on purchases during your first 12 billing cycles. After that, a variable APR of 12.99% to 22.99% applies.
- Intro APR period on balance transfers. Get 12 billing cycles of 0% intro APR period on balance transfers. Your rate reverts to 12.99% to 22.99% variable after that.
- No annual fee. There’s no annual fee to own the card.
What to watch out for
- Balance transfer fees. You’ll notice a $0 balance transfer fee advertised on Bellwether’s website. However, this only applies after the 0% intro APR period has ended. During the 0% intro APR period, you’ll pay a 4% balance transfer fee.
- Foreign transaction fees. Purchases made abroad or online with foreign retailers will cost you 2% of the amount.
How to apply for the Bellwether Smart Cash Card
You can apply for the Bellwether Smart Cash Card following these steps:
- Visit the BCCU website.
- Click Borrow at the top menu and select Bellwether VISA Cards.
- Find the Smart Cash Card and click Apply now.
- Fill out the application form.
- Review the application and submit.
What credit score do I need?
For the best chances of approval, apply with a good credit score of 670 or higher.
Compare cash back credit cards
The Bellwether Smart Cash Card is a simple cashback card with a flat 1.5 cashback rate on all purchases and a long 0% intro APR period on balance transfers. Aside from that, this isn’t a very impressive credit card. Compare other cashback cards, which may offer a better value.