Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
American Express® Gold Card vs Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
Choose between earning Membership Rewards points and cash back.
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express is an especially good choice for grocery spending, offering 6% cash back at US supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%. The Amex Gold Card pays a lower rate on grocery spending, but it offers 4x points at restaurants and 3x points on eligible flights.
Summary of card features
American Express® Gold Card
- Earn 4x points at restaurants. You'll also earn 4x points at US supermarkets up to 25,000 per calendar year. Earn 1x points after that and on everything else.
- A solid 35,000-point welcome offer after you spend $4,000 within your first 3 months of account opening.
- Get a great selection of travel benefits and credits, including a monthly $10 dining credit and $100 airline fee credit.
Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
- Earn cash back. Earn 6% cash back at US supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year. After that, you'll earn 1% back. You'll also earn 6% on select US streaming services and 3% on transit purchases. At US gas stations you'll earn 3% back. For everything else you buy, you'll get 1% back.
- Welcome offer. Get $250 in statement credit after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first three months of card membership.
- Intro APR period. Enjoy a 0% intro APR period on purchases for the first 12 months of account opening. After that, a variable APR of 13.99% to 23.99% applies.
Compare similar credit cards
Ask an Expert