Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
American Express® Gold Card vs Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
Choose between earning Membership Rewards points and cash back.
Updated . What changed?
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express is an especially good choice for grocery spending, offering 6% cash back at US supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%. The Amex Gold Card pays a lower rate on grocery spending, but it offers 4x points at restaurants and 3x points on eligible flights.
Summary of card features
American Express® Gold Card
- Earn 4x points at restaurants. You'll also earn 4x points at US supermarkets up to 25,000 per calendar year. Earn 1x points after that and on everything else.
- A solid 60,000-point welcome offer after you spend $4,000 within your first 6 months of account opening.
- Get a great selection of travel benefits and credits, including a monthly $10 dining credit and $100 airline fee credit.
Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
- Earn cash back. Earn 6% cash back at US supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year. After that, you'll earn 1% back. You'll also earn 6% on select US streaming services and 3% on transit purchases. At US gas stations you'll earn 3% back. For everything else you buy, you'll get 1% back.
- Welcome offer. Get $300 in statement credit after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first three months of card membership. This offer expires December 10, 2020.
- Intro APR period. Enjoy a 0% intro APR period on purchases for the first 12 months of account opening. After that, a variable APR of 13.99% to 23.99% applies.
Compare similar credit cards
More guides on Finder
OakStone Platinum Secured Mastercard® review
Build credit with this secured credit card.
Best credit cards for young professionals
Earn rewards on travel, dining, public transportation and other categories you spend the most in.
Sally Beauty Rewards Credit Card review
Earn rewards on your Sally Beauty purchases and redeem them for store coupons.
Emirates Skywards Premium World Elite Mastercard® review
Earn Emirates miles on your purchases and enjoy premium benefits with this airline credit card.
SoFi Credit Card review
A new 2% cashback card enters the ring.
Alliant Credit Union Free Teen Checking review
A free account that rewards your teen with 0.25% interest and $20 in ATM rebates.
DCU Primary Savings Account review
Watch your savings stack up with 6.17% APY on the first $1,000 in your account.
Verizon Visa® Credit Card review
Plus $0 annual fee, 3% on dining, 2% on Verizon purchases and 1% on everything else.
Netspend Savings account review
Earns 5% APY on balances up to $1,000 — but only if you have a Netspend Card account.
Synchrony Car Care™ credit card review
A no-annual-fee store card for gas and maintenance.
Ask an Expert