We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
Ally and Marcus are home to some of the strongest deposit accounts available today. And while they offer similar rates and fees, the differences between the two could help you determine which is best for you.
Pros and cons of Ally vs. Marcus
- Easy access. Ally offers a cutting edge mobile app and widespread ATM access.
- Wide range of financial products. Ally offers a broad selection of financial products, allowing you to do all or most of your banking in one place.
- 24/7 customer service. Customer service is available around the clock.
- Slightly lower savings rates. You’ll earn slightly less interest on Ally savings accounts than with Marcus.
- Higher fees. Ally has higher service charges and monthly fees on its deposit accounts.
- Fewer loan options. If loans are your priority, Marcus may be better suited for your needs.
- Personal loans. Marcus offers a wide range of loan options and specializes in debt consolidation.
- Slightly higher savings rates. You’ll earn a bit more interest with Marcus savings accounts.
- Lower fees. Marcus has lower service charges and monthly fees than Ally.
- More difficult to access money. Marcus doesn’t have ATMs or branches, so getting access to your money could be more difficult.
- Limited financial products. Despite its selection of deposit accounts and loan offerings, Marcus doesn’t have many other financial products.
- No 24/7 customer service. Unlike Ally, you won’t have 24/7 access to customer service.
Ally vs. Marcus savings accounts
These institutions offer two extremely competitive high-yield savings accounts, but Marcus wins this category for its higher APY.
Ally vs. Marcus checking accounts
Marcus doesn’t currently offer a checking account, giving Ally the clear edge in this category.
Ally vs. Marcus certificates of deposit
Ally vs. Marcus other products
While both of these institutions offer other financial products, Ally has a much larger selection:
- Credit cards
- Money market account
- IRA CDs
- Home loans and refinancing
- Brokerage accounts
- Portfolio management
- Personal loans
- Debt consolidation
- Home improvement loans
Ally vs. Marcus branches and ATMs
Choosing to bank online makes good customer service even more important. Here’s how the two banks measure up:
Ally vs. Marcus special features
Both banks have a couple of features that make them stand out from their competition:
These top-rated online banks both offer a selection of personal banking options and other financial products, but the best one will depend on your situation. Pick Ally for more banking products and a mobile app, or go with Marcus for slightly higher savings rates and specialized loans. Or if neither is right for you, compare options from other banks to find a good fit.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert