Amalgamated Bank of Chicago Platinum Rewards Mastercard® review
A no-annual-fee, easy option for everyday rewards.
- Get this card if you’re looking for an intro APR on purchases.
- Pick something else if you’re looking for better reward rates.
- Apply with an excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 5x
Intro purchase APR
for the first 12 months (then 12.9% to 22.9% variable)
|Welcome offer||$150 after spending $1,200 in the first 90 days|
|Rewards||1x points on all purchases and 5x points in quarterly rotating categories on up to $1,500 each quarter you activate, then 1x points|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 12 months (then 12.9% to 22.9% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||12.9% to 22.9% variable|
|Minimum Credit Score||670|
Megan Horner is the banking and credit cards Group Publisher at Finder. She's passionate about helping you find the best credit cards and bank accounts to meet your financial needs — whether that's earning great rewards or improving your credit score. Megan's expertise has been spotlighted on Lifehacker, CreditCards.com, American Banker and featured on news broadcasts across the country. Before working at Finder, Megan worked at Credit Karma and QuinStreet.
With no annual fee, a $150 signup bonus, 1x points on all purchases and an intro APR period on purchases, the Amalgamated Bank of Chicago Platinum Rewards Mastercard® offers consumers an accessible credit card with decent rewards.
What makes this card especially handy is it has no annual fee and comes with an intro APR period. Every dollar saved can add up when you’re building your credit, and these benefits alone can help you ease into your spending.
Amalgamated Bank of Chicago Platinum Rewards Mastercard® benefits
- No annual fee. You can keep the card open and use it when necessary without feeling pressured to close your account.
- Introductory APR. Enjoy a 0% introductory APR on purchases for the first 12 months following your account opening. After the intro period is up, your rates revert to a variable 12.9% to 22.9% APR.
- Rewards program. Earn 5x points on up to $1,500 in select purchasing categories each quarter you activate. After you reach the spending cap, or if you don’t activate, you’ll earn 1x points on all purchases. The 1x points rate also applies on everything else you buy.
- Signup bonus. You can earn a $150 statement credit after you spend $1,200 on purchases within the first 90 days of your account opening.
- Late payments don’t raise APR. If you happen to miss a payment, you won’t have to worry about a penalty APR.
- Mastercard zero liability. You won’t be held accountable for any unauthorized transactions performed on your credit card.
Amalgamated Bank of Chicago Platinum Rewards Mastercard® drawbacks
- Foreign transaction fees.This card doesn’t waive foreign transaction fees, so it may not be the best option if you do a lot of traveling. If you do, you’ll be charged 0% of the transaction each time you swipe abroad.
2020 calendar for quarterly rotating categories
|Quarters||January–March 2020||April–June 2020||July–September 2020||October–December 2020|
|5x category||Monthly bills||Dining and transportation||Travel||Department stores|
|Example||Qualifying utilities, cell phone, cable, Amazon Prime and streaming subscription services||Groceries, bakeries, fast food, gas, tolls and mass transit||Airfare, cruises, car rental, hotels, gas and ride shares||Department stores, electronic stores, Target, Walmart and Amazon.com|
Compare similar rewards cards
If this card isn’t right for you, compare other rewards cards on the market. Consider factors such as annual fee, intro APR periods and the categories you spend most in.
Those looking to earn rewards on everyday spending may find the Amalgamated Bank of Chicago Platinum Rewards Mastercard® to be quite valuable. While a few comparable cards offer better reward rates, they also tend to have fees that can offset that advantage depending on your spending.
Compare other rewards credit card options to see if the Amalgamated Bank of Chicago Platinum Rewards Mastercard® is the right fit for you.