American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card review
Earn miles and take advantage of basic benefits.
- Get this card if you occasionally fly American Airlines.
- Pick something else if you want a general travel card.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
All information about this card has been collected independently by Finder.
Miles as welcome offer
Up to 2x
15.99% to 24.99%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Welcome Offer||10,000 miles plus $50 after spending $500 in the first 3 months|
|Rewards||2x miles at grocery stores, 2x miles on American Airlines purchases and 1x miles on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||15.99% to 24.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||15.99% to 24.99% variable|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards and investments writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
If you’re looking for an entry-level American Airlines credit card, the American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card is the way to go. You’ll earn miles on your American Airline flights and grocery purchases without paying an annual fee.
And that’s pretty much it. If you’re looking for free checked bags and priority boarding, consider upgrading to a higher-tier card.
- Earn miles. Earn 2x miles at grocery stores and on grocery delivery services, and 2x miles eligible American Airlines purchases. On all other purchases earn 1x miles. Redeem miles for flights or upgrades to First Class, car rentals, hotel stays or vacation packages.
- Signup bonus. Spend $500 on purchases within your first three months of card membership to earn 10,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus
miles and a $50 statement credit.
How can I earn more miles?
Combine the American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card with the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® to earn more miles. Use the first card for groceries and the other at gas stations, restaurants and when traveling abroad.
Also, you can qualify for both signup bonuses.2x miles on American Airline purchases2x miles on American Airline purchases
|American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card||Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®|
|2x miles at grocery stores, including grocery delivery services||2x miles at gas stations and restaurants|
|3% foreign transaction fee||No foreign transaction fee|
|Get 10,000 bonus miles after you spend $500 in the first 3 months of card membership||Get 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,500 in the first 3 months of card membership|
You’ll also like …
- No annual fee. You won’t pay an annual fee to own the card.
- In-flight savings. Save 25% on in-flight food and beverages when you pay with your card.
- Apple Pay. Simplify your credit card payments by using your Apple device.
- Citi Concierge. Get help with your travel, dining, entertainment and everyday needs, 24/7.
What to watch out for
- Signup bonus eligibility. If you had this card in the last two years, you aren’t eligible for the bonus offer. But if you have or had another American Airline card, you can still qualify.
- Foreign transaction fee. Despite being a travel card, you may want to limit your card usage abroad; you’ll pay a fee of 3% of each transaction.
- Penalty APR. After you make a single late or returned payment, you’ll pay a fee and incur a penalty APR of up to 29.99% variable and lasts indefinitely.
- No intro APR period. If you’re looking to transfer your balance or make a large purchase and pay off your balance interest-free, consider a 0% intro APR card.
How many American Airlines miles does a one-way flight in the US cost?
According to the American Airlines website as of January 2019, you can get one-way main cabin MileSAAver award flight in continental US for as low as 12,500 miles.
Compare travel credit cards
The American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card can be a great choice if you don’t fly often and if you want to earn miles on groceries. It can also be a great choice if you already own the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® and you want to get the most miles possible.