Great signup bonus and attractive perks for American Airlines regulars.
- Get this card if you fly with American Airlines often.
- Pick something else if you want intro APR period on purchases.
- Apply with good to excellent credit score of 670 to 850.
|Product Name||AAdvantage® Aviator® Red World Elite Mastercard®|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||18.24%, 22.24% or 27.24% variable|
|Introductory Purchase APR|
|Balance Transfer APR||18.24%, 22.24% or 27.24% variable|
|Introductory Balance Transfer APR||0% for the first fifteen billing cycles (then 18.24%, 22.24% or 27.24% variable)|
|Balance Transfer Fee||$5 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater|
|Cash Advance Rate||27.49% variable|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
|Cash Advance Fee||$10 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 23 days|
|Late Payment Fee||$37|
|Returned Payment Fee||$37|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Welcome Offer||60,000 when you make your first purchase in the first 90 days and pay the annual fee|
|Rewards||Earn 2x miles for every one dollar spent on eligible American Airlines purchases and x miles on everything else|
|Base Rewards||1x miles|
|Rewards Points Expiration||Never|
Frequent American Airlines travelers will enjoy one free bag check, preferred boarding, in-flight savings on food and beverages and double miles earned on purchases made with the carrier.
However, you’ll have to pay an annual fee for the card.
Alternative for airline rewards: Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American ExpressRead more
Make a single purchase with your card within 90 days of account opening and earn 60,000 bonus miles. This is the largest and easiest signup bonus you can get with an airline credit card.
Earn 2x miles on American Airlines purchases and 1x miles on everything else you buy.
Intro APR period on balance transfers.
Use 15 months of 0% intro APR period on balance transfers. After that, a variable APR of 18.24% to 27.24% applies.
Is the annual fee worth it?
If you often fly with American Airlines and their partners, you can make the annual fee worth if you:
- Make at least three one-way trips annually on American Airlines to save $90 on first checked bag.
- Earn the signup bonus, which is enough for four MileSAAver flights within the continental US. If you fly less than 500 miles, the signup bonus is enough for eight flights within the US.
- Spend at least $3,000 on American Airlines purchases to earn 6,000 miles. That’s worth around $90 according to the AAdvantage website at the moment of writing.
You’ll also like …
First checked bag free.
Save $240 on first checked bags for a family of four on a round-trip flight with American Airlines. Everyone else pays $30 for the first checked bag for a one-way trip.
No foreign transaction fees.
Use your card abroad without incurring fees.
With this perk, you and up to four companions traveling on your reservation can board your plane sooner.
Save 25% on inflight purchases of food and beverages on eligible flights. You get the savings as a statement credit to your account.
Mastercard concierge service offers help planning travel, insurance for auto rental, trip cancellation, trip interruption and more.
What to watch out for
Expect to pay $95 annually to own the card and use its perks.
Balance transfer limitations.
The intro APR period only applies to balances transferred in the first 45 days of account opening. Any balance transferred after that will incur the standard APR of 18.24% to 27.24% variable.
No intro APR period on purchases.
You only get an intro APR period on balance transfers but not on purchases. If you’re looking to make a large purchase and carry your balance interest-free for months, look for 0% intro APR credit cards.
Welcome offer eligibility.
If you already own this card or if you owned it and closed your account in the past 24 months, you may not be eligible for the signup bonus.
Compare travel credit cards
Want to earn more AAdvantage miles?
Add the American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card by Citi to your credit card collection.
There’s no annual fee and you’ll earn 2x AAdvantage miles on grocery store purchases.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the card, you must be at least 18 years old and a US resident. Residents of Puerto Rico and US territories are not eligible.
Information you’ll need:
- Full name and contact information.
- Residential status.
- Annual income and employment information.
- Social Security number, date of birth and mother’s maiden name.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of approval if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
How to apply for the AAdvantage® Aviator® Red World Elite Mastercard®
- Go to the Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red website and click Apply now.
- Complete the application.
- Review your application and click Apply to submit.
I got the card. Now what?
- Download the Barclays US mobile app. Use the app to access your free FICO score, to monitor your account, to pay your bills and more.
- Download the American Airlines mobile app. Use the app as a mobile boarding pass, to get flight updates, to select or upgrade your seat and more.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 23 days to pay your balance to avoid interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $37. Balance transfers and cash advances also come with fees.
- Customer service. If you have questions, contact Barclaycard customer service at 866-928-8598.
How do I redeem miles from AAdvantage® Aviator® Red World Elite Mastercard®?
Log in to your American Airlines AAdvantage online account and choose one of the following redemption options:
- Award flights
- Seat upgrades
- Car rentals
- Hotels stays
- Admirals Club membership
- Gift cards
- Charitable donations
If you’re a frequent American Airlines flyer, you’ll enjoy having the AAdvantage® Aviator® Red World Elite Mastercard®. Not only can you qualify for an impressive signup bonus, but you’ll also score attractive American Airlines perks, including one checked bag free, preferred boarding and in-flight savings on food and beverages.
If you fly other airlines or if you’re looking for a general travel credit card, check out other cards with travel benefits.