Xfinity Mobile phone plans review
No-contract plans with unlimited data for its Internet customers only.Xfinity Mobile Internet customers can sign up for up to 5 cellphone lines and choose from an unlimited plan or choose from 1GB, 3GB or 10GB. Mix and match data options with multiple lines, and get unlimited talk and text and Wi-Fi calling. But you’ll pay with data to stream in HD.
Pros and cons
- Wi-Fi calling makes calls to the US while you’re abroad less expensive and helps when cell service is spotty.
- Bring your own phone or choose from an Apple, Google or Samsung phone.
- No contract required and you can adjust line types and data amounts as you go.
- Access to Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots gives you more chances to use less data.
- Unlimited calls to Canada and Mexico cost an additional $10 a month per line.
- Tablets and smartwatches cost an extra $10 each per month and count towards the five-line limit.
- Unlimited data lines cost $20 extra monthly for HD streaming on data.
- Data slows down on any line that goes over 20GB of usage.
- You have to be an Xfinity Internet subscriber to sign up for Mobile.
What is Xfinity Mobile?Xfinity Mobile is a contract-free cell phone service available to Xfinity Internet customers, with monthly billing. Use your online account to adjust your service without using customer support.Xfinity Mobile is on the Verizon LTE network and works with the 18 million Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots providing nationwide coverage. Use international roaming to call the US from abroad, and skirt long-distance fees when you use Wi-Fi.
What services does Xfinity Mobile offer?
Lines can be broken up into two types: pay by the gig or Unlimited. Depending on your usage and how many people are in your group, you can mix and match plans.
You can get up to 5 lines total, each with unlimited talk and text. Phones, tablets and smartwatches all count toward line usage.
By the Gig
- $12 monthly for 1GB
- $30 monthly for 3GB
- $60 monthly for 10GB
Lines that you pay for by the gig shares data. That means two phone lines that share 10GB of data costs $60 per month total — minus taxes and fees.
You’ll get HD streaming for phones and tablets, and LTE hotspots. To save data limit streaming resolution and hotspot usage by turning on the Data Saver feature.
- $45 monthly per line for unlimited data
Choose the Unlimited data plan for any of your lines, and you won’t share data.
Phones and tablets are both eligible for unlimited data, but it comes with a caveat — you’re stuck with the standard streaming resolution unless you buy an add-on. HD streaming with an Unlimited plan costs an additional $20 a month per line.
What other features should I know about?
Both line types come with built-in features and add-ons you can purchase.
- Wi-Fi calling. Make and receive calls using Wi-Fi when cell service is sketchy, or to save money when you call the US from abroad.
- Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots. As an Xfinity Internet customer you get access to Wi-Fi hotspots located across the country. Save data by auto connecting with your phone.
- Mexico and Canada Call Pass. Add unlimited calls to Mexico and Canada to a line for $10 a month. Each additional line you want to add costs another $10 a month.
- Phone selection. Choose from top new models of Apple, Google and Samsung phones or bring your own.
What to watch out for
A couple of downsides come with the Xfinity Mobile plan to consider before getting started.
- Tablet and smartwatch fees. Smartwatches and tablets both count towards your line usage and come with extra monthly fees. Each smartwatch and tablet tacks on $10 to your monthly bill.
- Data slowdowns. You could see your speed slow for each line that exceeds 20GB monthly. The max upload speed becomes 750Kbps and max download is 1.5Mbps.
- HD costs extra for unlimited. If you want to watch HD streams while using data on an unlimited line, you’ll pay $20 a month extra. You can still watch HD streams without the pass on Wi-Fi.
- You have to be an Xfinity Internet customer. To sign up, you need to be an Xfinity Internet customer. Not maintaining TV, Internet or Voice after you are on Xfinity Mobile costs an extra $20 per line each month.
How do I sign up for Xfinity Mobile?
Get Xfinity Mobile by signing up online or by going into select Xfinity stores. To sign up online:
- Go to the Xfinity Mobile site.
- Click My account.
- Enter your Xfinity username and password and select Sign in.
- Select a phone or choose Bring your phone.
- Pick the data plan for your first line and click Continue.
- Fill out Who uses this phone? and select Add to cart.
- Add more lines or click Checkout to complete your purchase.
- Any phones you ordered or new SIM cards for phones you bring over will be shipped to you.
Compare cell phone plan providers
Before you make the switch compare cell phone plans using our guide to find the right fit for you, your family or your friend group.
Frequently asked questions
Rhys Subitch is a writer and editor at finder.com who tackles topics across the site. With half a decade of experience researching, editing and writing for a Fortune 500 company, university and several independent publications, Rhys brings readers the most up-to-date and curated info on all things finance.
Existing Xfinity customers may find Xfinity Mobile a less expensive alternative to other big-name providers, with decent features and wide coverage. Being able to choose from By the Gig or Unlimited plans provides options for a variety of budgets too. If you’re looking for a bundle package, it could be an option to consider.