World of Hyatt Credit Card review
Earn accelerated points on a variety of purchases and get up to two bonus nights each year.
finder.com’s rating: 3.8 / 5
- Get this card if you frequently stay at Hyatt hotels.
- Pick something else if you don’t want to pay an annual fee, or if you want better reward redemption flexibility.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Points as welcome offer
Up to 9x
15.99% to 22.99%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Welcome Offer||30,000 points after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months. Plus 2x instead of 1x points on up to $15,000 (up to 30,000 more points) in the first 6 months|
|Rewards||9x total points at Hyatt hotels as a World of Hyatt member, 2x on gyms, commuting, dining and airlines and 1x on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||15.99% to 22.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||15.99% to 22.99% variable|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards and investments writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
Expert reviewWorld of Hyatt Credit Card costs $95 annually, but its benefits are comparable to even more expensive cards. For starters, you get a rewards night at a category 1 to 4 Hyatt hotel or resort each year on your card anniversary. This alone is enough to offset the annual fee and make everything else you earn a bonus.
As far as rewards go, you get to earn a generous signup bonus of up to 60,000 bonus points, which can be worth 10 stays at a category 1 Hyatt hotel; you also participate in one of the more generous rewards programs where you earn 9x total bonus points at all Hyatt hotels and resorts, and 2x points on fitness club and gym memberships, local transit and commuting, restaurant purchases and airline tickets purchased directly at the airline.
It’s not an exaggeration to say that World of Hyatt Credit Card is one of the most rewarding credit cards and an ideal choice for those who often stay at Hyatt hotels and resorts.
How to apply for World of Hyatt Credit Card.
- Learn more about how to apply for World of Hyatt Credit Card.
- Fill out the application form.
- Review your application and submit.
How long will it take to get World of Hyatt Credit Card?
More often than not, Chase can make a decision on your application within seconds. Applications that require additional information may have you waiting up to 30 days.
Upon approval, expect your card to arrive within seven to 10 business days.
- Rewards points. Earn 4x bonus points at all Hyatt hotels when using your card — and get an additional 5x base points just by being a World of Hyatt member for a total of 9x points. With a value of 1.7 cents per point when redeemed for World of Hyatt stays, your 9x points come as a 15% back. You also earn 2x points on fitness club and gym memberships, local transit and commuting purchases, at restaurants and on airline tickets purchased directly from the airline. On all other purchases, earn 1x points.
- Signup bonus. Spend $3,000 on purchases in the 3 months following your account opening and get 30,000 bonus points. If you spend an additional $3,000 on purchases that typically earn 1x points in the first 6 months, you’ll earn another 30,000 bonus points — for a total of 60,000. As of August 2020, the Hyatt rewards website lists that point redemption for hotel stays starts at 5,000 points for a category 1 hotel and up to 30,000 points for a category 7 hotel.
- Earn a reward night each year. Get one night at a category 1 to 4 Hyatt hotel or resort on every card anniversary. And if you spend $15,000 on purchases within a year, you get an additional night in the same category hotels.
- Elite status. Enjoy Elite Discoverist status just by being a card member. This gives you additional perks like daily complimentary bottled water, room upgrades when available, late checkout at participating locations and more. Learn more about elite status with our World of Hyatt guide.
- No foreign transaction fee. When you travel abroad you won’t pay any foreign transaction fees for using your card. Other cards have fees up to 3% of each transaction.
- Visa concierge. The card comes with a complimentary Visa Signature concierge service available 24/7. This can help you get the perfect gift for a loved one, dinner reservations, tickets to sports and entertainment events and more.
- High minimum credit line. Chase determines your credit line based on several factors — but with this card, you won’t get a lower credit line than $5,000.
How much rewards can I earn with World of Hyatt Credit Card?
|Where you spend||How much you spend||Total points|
|Hyatt hotels and resorts||$15,000||54,000|
|Local transit and commuting||$500||1,000|
|Fitness and gym membership||$800||1,600|
Let’s say your annual spending is similar to our example. If you clear the entire signup bonus, you would earn a total of 125,600 Hyatt points for your first year. Points are generally worth 1.7 cents. This means your points earned during your first year minus the annual fee can be worth up to $2,040. Or if you redeem at a category 1 hotel, you can get up to 25 nights.
If your spending continues this way, from the second year, after you pay your annual fee you’ll earn points valued at up to $1,285. Also, you’ll get two nights at a hotel worth between $100 and $200, depending on the property you redeem your points for.
For even more information about earning World of Hyatt points, check out our full World of Hyatt earning guide.
Compare travel rewards credit cards
Getting the World of Hyatt Credit Card is a great choice for those who often stay at IHG hotels and resorts. Travelers that want better reward redemption flexibility may find other general travel cards more useful.
Compare World of Hyatt Credit Card with other cards
What to watch out for
- Signup bonus eligibility. You’re not eligible to get the signup bonus if you already own a Hyatt Credit Card, or if you owned a Hyatt Credit Card and received a signup bonus in the last two years.
- No intro APR period. Travel rewards credit cards usually have high APR and have no intro APR period. You may want to look for a 0% intro APR card if you want to consolidate your debt.
- Chase 5/24 rule. The World of Hyatt Credit Card is subject to the Chase 5/24 rule. This means your credit card application will be automatically rejected if you have opened five credit cards in the past 24 months.
- Annual fee. The card costs $95 annually. However, the annual reward night you get on your card anniversary can be worth between $100 and $300. This alone offsets the fee and makes every other feature an additional reward.
How much do I have to spend to make the annual fee worth it?
Technically, you don’t need to spend anything to make the annual fee worth it because of the annual reward night perk. However, you’ll need to spend around $650 at Hyatt hotels to cover the $95 annual fee.
World of Hyatt Credit Card alternatives
The World of Hyatt Credit Card is an excellent choice for anyone who frequently stays at the World of Hyatt hotels. However, this card may not be for you if you only occasionally visit these hotels.
Consider the Chase Sapphire Preferred or the Chase Sapphire Reserve instead. Granted, you won’t earn as many World of Hyatt points with these cards as you would with the hotel’s cobranded card. However, you get to earn accelerated points on a variety of hotel brands and airlines. Plus, you can always transfer your Chase Ultimate Rewards points to World of Hyatt points in a 1:1 ratio should you wish to do so.
What should I know before I apply?
You must be a US citizen and at least 18 years old to apply for the card.
When filling out the application form, you need to provide:
- Your name, phone number and address.
- Date of birth and Social Security number.
- Annual income and source of income.
What credit score do I need?
To increase your chances of approval, apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
World of Hyatt Credit Card reviews and complaints.
As of October 2020, the Better Business Bureau rates JP Morgan Chase credit card division with an A+, though the company is not accredited. Most complaints on the BBB website revolve around the bank and include dissatisfaction with the poor customer service and high interest rates.
As for the card, users love the annual bonus night and the rewards rates. To get the most out of your rewards, you may want to try and pay off your balance each month and avoid interest payments.
I got the card. Now what?
- Download Chase Mobile app. With the Chase mobile app you can monitor your account, keep track of your rewards, pay your bills, send money with Zelle, send wire transfers and more.
- Download Hyatt Hotels app. Use the app to make reservations, request items to your room, call an Uber and more.
- Avoid interest. Your due date is at least 21 days after the close of each billing cycle. Try to make your payments by then to avoid paying fees and a high APR.
- Customer service. Call 800-432-3117 for questions.
How do I redeem rewards from World of Hyatt Credit Card?
Log in to your World of Hyatt account to redeem your rewards. You can either use your full points to book your stay or use 50% points and 50% cash.
The table below is based on the point redemption values listed on the World of Hyatt website as of August 2020.
|Hotel category||Standard room points per night||Regency/Grand Club points per night||Standard Suite points per night||Premium Suite points per night|
Also, you can:
- Redeem points for dining, exhale classes and spa therapies.
- Share points to any World of Hyatt member.
- Convert points to airline miles.
For more information about redeeming World of Hyatt points, check out our World of Hyatt redemption guide.
Bottom lineWorld of Hyatt Credit Card has a great value if you frequently stay at Hyatt hotels. You get to earn accelerated points on your stays, and every year on your card anniversary you receive a reward night at a Hyatt property. If you spend more than $15,000 annually, you get a second night.
You can also check out other travel credit cards if this one doesn’t suit you. Take your time, compare your options and find the best card for your needs.
Frequently asked questions
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.