Earn unlimited 2x points on dining and gas and 1x points on all other purchases. Plus, get 2,500 bonus points when you make your first purchase. Redeem points for an airline or cruise ticket, merchandise and gift cards, get cash credited to your account or deposited to your USAA checking or savings account, or donate to a participating charity or military affiliate group.
Deployment and PCS rate.
Get a 4% fixed APR on all balances for up to 12 months during deployment or PCS. After that, an APR of 11.65% to 27.65% will apply.
Special SCRA rate.
Receive a 4% fixed APR on your existing balance when you enter active duty until one year after you complete active duty.
Military Campaign Benefit.
Get a rebate on all finance charges accrued while you serve in a qualified military campaign.
No annual fee.
As a cardholder, you don’t have to worry about paying an annual fee.
No penalty APR.
You won’t have your APR raised for late or missed payments. Other cards have up to 30% penalty APR that can last indefinitely.
No foreign transaction fees.
You won’t pay transaction fees when you travel outside of the US. Other cards have up to 3% fee for each transaction.
Get added security and worldwide acceptance with a chip card. Additionally, get $0 fraud liability and increased security measures such as biometrics, Quick Logon, Cyber Code text and computer recognition.
Travel assistance and roadside assistance.
Get travel assistance in case of medical, legal or other emergency needs you may have. Plus, if your car breaks down, you can call 866-200-9866 and USAA will send help.
Visa® Signature benefits.
Get price protection, extended warranty, identity theft resolution services, concierge service, travel accident insurance, baggage coverage and trip cancellation insurance with your Visa® Signature card.
Will I get the Visa Signature card or the Visa Platinum card?
It depends on the credit limit that USAA assigns to you.
- If your credit limit is less than $5,000 — you’ll get the Visa Platinum card.
- If your credit limit is more than $5,000 — you’ll get the Visa Signature card.
No signup bonus.
Most cards come with a signup bonus once you meet certain spending criteria, but not this one.
No intro APR period.
The card has a relatively low APR, especially if you’re on PCS or deployment. But you won’t get an intro APR period on balance transfers or purchases.
Compare credit cards with similar rewards, or consider other cards with perks for service members. Some credit card providers offer benefits for military service members and their families, such as waived annual fees or reduced APRs.
Updated November 14th, 2019
You can transfer balances of up to 95% of your available credit limit. USAA may refuse balances that exceed your credit limit. Balances that come from other USAA accounts will be denied.
It may take up to four business days for USAA to process balance transfers electronically. All other business transfers will likely take between seven to 10 business days.
The fee for each transfer is 3% of the transaction, with a maximum of $200. This makes balance transfers a bargain if your requested amount is more than $7,000.
In order to apply for the card, you must be a USAA member, US citizen or permanent resident and at least 18 years old.
You’ll also need to provide:
- Full name and contact information
- Marital status
- Proof of employment and income
Who is eligible for a USAA membership?
- Active military personnel. Individuals serving in the U.S. Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines or Navy.
- Former military personnel. Retired or separated from the US military with an honorable discharge.
- Family members. Widows, widowers and unremarried former spouses of USAA members who joined USAA prior to or during the marriage and individuals whose parents joined USAA.
- Cadets and midshipmen. Cadets and midshipmen at US service academies, advanced ROTC or on ROTC scholarship and officer candidates within 24 months of commissioning.
What credit score do I need?
Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 680 or higher. Applying with a better credit score will likely get you a higher credit limit and a lower APR.
The Better Business Bureau rates USAA with an A+, but it hasn’t accredited the financial institution yet. Most customer complaints at BBB have been about false advertising and issues with the insurance department.
As for the card, some complained about poor customer support, while others praised the low APR.
- Visit USAA’s website and find the USAA® Rewards™ Visa Signature® Card from the list of credit cards, then click Get started or Log on.
- Log in to your USAA membership account and fill out your application form.
- Review your application and submit it.
How long will it take to get my USAA® Rewards™ Visa Signature® Card?
USAA can approve your application within a minute. In some cases when more information is needed, it may take a few business days to a few weeks for USAA to make a decision.
Upon approval, you’ll get your card within seven to 10 business days.
- Download the USAA Mobile app. Use it to manage your account, pay your bills, find a nearby ATM and more.
- Enroll in Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Google Pay. Make payments through your phone.
- Pay on time. You’ll pay up to a $35 fee for late payments.
- Customer service. If you need help, call 210-531-USAA (8722) or 800-531-USAA, or chat online with a customer support representative.
If you’re affiliated with the military and looking for a card that earns rewards points on every purchase, the USAA® Rewards™ Visa Signature® Card could be an ideal solution. Aside from earning rewards, you’ll get a low APR on all balances during deployment or PCS, and you’ll get a special SCRA rate on all existing balances when you enter active duty.
You can also check out similar low APR or balance transfer credit cards to find the right one.