- Special 4% SCRA rate.
You’ll get a 4% fixed APR on your existing balance when you enter active duty. This applies until one year after you complete active duty. After that, your rate will revert to a variable APR of 11.65% to 27.65%.
- Deployment and PCS Rate.
Receive a 4% fixed APR on all balances for up to 12 months during deployment or permanent change of station. After 12 months the regular variable APR, currently ranging from 11.65% to 27.65%, applies.
- No annual fee.
You won’t pay any annual fees for the life of the card.
How much can I earn with the USAA® Rewards™ American Express® Card?
If your annual spending looks similar to our example, you would earn 37,000 points in one year.
The value of USAA points ranges between 0.8 and 0.1 cent depending on what you redeem them for, which makes your points worth up to $370.
- No foreign transaction fees.
When you travel abroad and use your card, you won’t pay any foreign transaction fees.
- No penalty APR.
Your APR won’t get raised because of a late or failed payment.
- Military affiliate credit card designs.
Choose a design that shows your military affiliation.
- Digital wallet.
Simplify how you pay with your credit card by using your smart device with Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay.
To apply for the USAA® Rewards™ American Express® Card you must be a member of the military, a veteran who was honorably discharged or an eligible family member of military personnel. You also must be:
- A US citizen or permanent resident.
- At least 18 years old.
In your application, provide your:
- Full name, address and contact information.
- Marital status and birthdate.
- Contact information and income.
Some credit card providers like USAA offer cards with perks for military service members and their families. Compare cards with benefits for service members, or take a look at similar rewards credit cards.
Customers are happy with the accelerated reward rates. They also love the low APR for active duty personnel. However, there are some complaints around poor customer support. One customer even claims USAA didn’t lower their APR when they were on permanent change of station.
USAA Credit Card Services earns a Better Business Bureau rating of B. The business isn’t BBB accredited despite being active for more than 30 years. Most customer complaints there also are about poor customer service for USAA in general.
- Visit the USAA website and find the USAA® Rewards™ American Express® Card from the list of credit cards. Click Get started or Log on.
- Enter the required information.
- Review your application and submit it.
How long will it take to get my USAA® Rewards™ American Express® Card?
Expect your credit card to arrive seven to 10 days after approval. When it arrives, you can activate the card online or over the phone.
- Download USAA Mobile app. Manage your account, set up alerts, redeem rewards and more with your mobile device.
- Enroll in Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Google Pay. Simplify your credit card payments once you set up a digital wallet.
- Customer service. If you have any questions, call 210-531-8722 or 800-531-8722 and USAA customer service will assist you. USAA recommends calling from Tuesday through Friday.
How do I redeem rewards with the USAA® Rewards™ American Express® Card?
Log in to your USAA account and click View and redeem rewards.
You can redeem your points for:
- Travel discounts
- Gift cards
- Charitable donations
If you’re affiliated with the military and looking to earn rewards on dining, gas and groceries, the USAA® Rewards™ American Express® Card could be a helpful solution.
However, if you’re still interested in shopping around, check out other reward credit cards and compare your options.Back to top