A no-annual-fee card with unlimited 1.5% cash back.
- Get this card if you’re affiliated with the military and want to earn flat cash back on all purchases.
- Pick something else if you want higher cash back on select categories or if you want an intro APR period.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
|Product Name||USAA® Preferred Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||13.9% to 27.9% variable|
|Introductory Purchase APR|
|Balance Transfer APR||13.9% to 27.9% variable|
|Introductory Balance Transfer APR|
|Balance Transfer Fee||3%|
|Cash Advance Rate||13.9% to 27.9% variable|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
|Cash Advance Fee||3% of the cash advance amount|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 25 days|
|Late Payment Fee||Up to $35|
|Returned Payment Fee||Up to $35|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Reward Value per Dollar||1.5x points|
|Rewards Points Expiration||Never|
With the USAA® Preferred Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card you’ll get unlimited cash back on everything you buy. This can be a great choice if you don’t want to keep track of your spending categories.
Also, you’ll get a lower APR for 12 months if you’re deployed, in a permanent change of station or you enter active military duty. However, to get the card, you’ll need good to excellent credit and you must be eligible for USAA membership.
An alternative 1.5% cash back card
Chase Freedom Unlimited®Read more
- Cash back.
Earn unlimited 1.5% back on everything you buy. Redeem your cash back at any time through the USAA Rewards Center.
- No annual fee.
You’ll earn cash back without paying an annual fee.
How much cash back rewards can I earn with the USAA® Preferred Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card?
If you spend $15,000 on purchases annually with your card, you’ll earn $225 cash back.
You’ll also like …
- No foreign transaction fees.
You won’t pay extra when you travel outside of the US. Other cards charge up to 3% of the amount of each transaction you make abroad.
- No penalty APR.
Don’t worry about a APR spike for missing a payment. With other cards, the penalty APR can reach up to 31% and can last indefinitely.
- Deployment, PCS and SCRA rates.
Enjoy 4% APR on your existing balance when you enter active duty. Also, get 4% APR on all balances for up to 12 months during deployment or permanent change of station. After 12 months the regular APR, ranging from 13.9% to 27.9% variable, will apply.
- Card protection features.
Get support in case of identity theft, zero liability for unauthorized charges and secure logon options.
What to watch out for
- No intro APR period.
This card is not for you if you’re looking to transfer your balance from another account or to make a large purchase and carry the balance for months without paying an interest. Consider 0% intro APR cards for that.
- No signup bonus.
Similar cards offer bonuses up to $150 if you meet certain spending criteria during the first few months of card membership. Unfortunately, this card has no such offer.
Compare cash back credit cards
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the card, you must be a member of the military, a veteran who was honorably discharged or an eligible family member of military personnel. You also must be:
- A US citizen or permanent resident.
- At least 18 years old.
Additionally, you’ll need to provide:
- Your full name and residential address.
- Marital status and birthdate.
- Contact information.
- Proof of employment and income.
If you’re approved for the card, you can select your card design to show your military affiliation.
What credit score do I need?
You can apply for the card with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher. For a lower APR and a higher credit line, make sure to apply with a higher credit score and the income to support any potential debt you take on.
What do customers say about the USAA® Preferred Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card?
Customers who are happy with the card praise the USAA customer support. They also claim they received relatively high credit line compared to other cards they own.
USAA is rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), but they aren’t accredited yet. As of this writing there are just over 1,500 complaints on the BBB website, but none are unanswered or unresolved. This indicates that even if you have an issue with USAA, you should be able to get in contact with the credit union.
How to apply for the USAA® Preferred Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card
- Go to USAA website and find the USAA® Preferred Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card from the list of credit cards. Click Get started or Log on.
- Fill out your application form.
- Review your application and submit it.
How do I redeem rewards from the USAA® Preferred Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card?
Access the USAA Rewards Service Center at the USAA website or call 800-980-USAA (8722) to redeem your cash back.
I got the card. Now what?
- Download USAA Mobile app. With the app you can manage your account, redeem rewards, set up alerts, monitor your credit score for free and more.
- Enroll in Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Google Pay. Use your phone to make credit card payments.
- Customer service. Call USAA customer service at 210-531-USAA or 800-531-USAA for questions. Get the fastest service by calling from Tuesday through Friday, as recommended by USAA. You can also chat online with a customer support representative.
If you’re affiliated with the military and you want a card with unlimited cash back on all purchases, the USAA® Preferred Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card could be a decent choice. Also, if you’re deployed, in a permanent change of station or you enter active military duty — you’ll get to enjoy low APR for 12 months.
However, if you’re not sure whether this is the right card for you, check out similar credit cards to compare your options and find the best card for your financial needs.