Issued by USAA Bank, the USAA® Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card lets you earn cashback rewards. The card is tailored to those affiliated with the military, and it offers special interest rates for members in active military duty and deployment.
|Product Name||USAA® Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card|
|Card Type||American Express|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||13.65% to 27.65% variable|
|Balance Transfer Fee||3%|
|Cash Advance Rate||13.65% to 27.65% variable|
|Cash Advance Fee||3% of the cash advance amount|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 25 days|
|Late Payment Fee||$35|
|Returned Payment Fee||$35|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
USAA® Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card Review
The main draw of the USAA® Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card is its rewards — at least 1% cash back on everything you buy and up to 5% cash back (on your first $3,000 in combined purchases annually, then 1%). You’ll also like its welcome offer — $150 after you spend $500 in purchases within the first 90 days of account opening — which is relatively easy to obtain. You’ll likely need good to excellent credit to qualify for the card, and you must be eligible for USAA membership.
The USAA® Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card is a great companion while traveling, as it has no foreign transaction fees.
Benefits of the USAA® Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card
- No annual fee. You don’t have to pay an annual fee to maintain services.
- $150 welcome offer. When you make $500 in purchases within the first 90 days of opening your account, you’ll earn a $150 bonus.
- Cashback rewards. Earn 5% cash back on your first $3,000 in combined gas and military base purchases each year (1% thereafter). Earn 2% cash back on your first $3,000 in supermarket purchases each year (1% thereafter). On everything else, you’ll earn an unlimited 1% cash back. Redeem your cash rewards anytime using your mobile device or computer.
- No foreign transaction fees. You won’t incur a fee when you use your card abroad or on foreign websites.
- No penalty APR. You won’t be charged a higher APR if you go over the credit limit or make a late payment.
- Military bonuses. If you’re deployed or in a permanent change of station, you’ll enjoy a low 4% fixed APR on all balances for 12 months. And if you enter active military duty, you’ll receive 4% fixed APR on all current balances until one year after you complete active duty.
USAA® Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card features
- APR. You’ll receive a 13.65% to 27.65% variable APR on purchases, cash advances and transfers.
- Transaction fees. When you make a balance transfer or cash advance, you’ll pay a fee of 3% of each transaction (up to $200 maximum).
- Penalty fees. Late and returned payments can cost up to $35 each.
- Security. The card includes chip technology for added security. It’s also covered by USAA’s Zero Liability Policy, which means you’re not responsible for any unauthorized purchases.
- Easy access to your account. You can manage your account online through the USAA mobile app or website. Additionally, you can view your balance and transaction history by sending a text to USAA.
Compare other American Express credit cards
How to apply for the USAA® Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card
To apply for this card, you must be:
- A US citizen or permanent resident.
- At least 18 years old.
- A member of the military, a veteran who was honorably discharged or an eligible family member of military personnel.
Required documents & information
- Full name
- Residential address
- Marital status
- Phone number
- Email address
- Proof of employment and income amount
If you’re affiliated with the military and looking for a credit card that earns cashback rewards, the USAA® Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card could be helpful. Before choosing this card, compare it with other credit cards.