Issued by USAA Bank, the USAA Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card is a credit card that lets you earn cash back rewards as you spend. The card is tailored to those affiliated with the military, and offers special interest rates for members in active military duty and deployment. The card includes a variety of security, travel and retail benefits.
|Product Name||USAA Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card|
|Balance Transfer Rate (not intro)||13.15% to 27.15% variable|
|APR for Purchases ( Purchase Rate )||13.15% to 27.15% variable|
|Cash Advance Rate||13.15% to 27.15% variable|
|Card Type||American Express|
|Returned Payment Fee||$35|
|Minimum Credit Score||Fair (660-699)|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Returned Payment Fee||$35|
|Over The Credit Line Fee||$0|
|Late Payment Fee||$35|
|Cash Advance Fee||3% of the amount of each cash advance (maximum fee for each convenience check: $200)|
|Rewards Program||American Express Rewards|
|Rewards Points per $ spent (AMEX)||0|
USAA Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card Review
If you have good or excellent credit and are looking for a card that will earn cash back rewards, the USAA Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card could be your answer. The main draw of this card is the ability to earn cash back rewards. You can earn 5% on up to $3,000 in military base and gas purchases per year. You can also earn 2% back on up to $3,000 in grocery and supermarket purchases each year. Every other purchase will get you 1% cash back. Earnings from the cash back rewards are paid to you annually, in January.
To be approved for this card, you must qualify for USAA membership and be affiliated with the military yourself, through your spouse, or by a family member. For added security, this card includes chip card technology.
Benefits of the USAA Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card
- No annual fee. You do not have to pay an annual fee to maintain services.
- Cash back rewards. Earn 5% cash back on up to $3,000 in gas and military base purchases annually on these categories combined. Earn 2% cash back on up to $3,000 in supermarket purchases per year. Earn 1% cash back on all other purchases with no cap. Redeem your cash rewards anytime using your mobile device or computer.
- Travel benefits. The card includes free concierge services anywhere, and anytime. Additionally, when you are traveling you never have to worry about foreign transaction fees.
- No penalty APR. If you go over the credit limit or make a late payment, you will not be charged a penalty APR, and your interest rate will not increase.
- Retail benefits. You can enjoy up to a one year extension on your manufacturers and US store brand warranties.
- Collision damage waiver. If your rental car becomes victim to physical damage or theft, the card’s included collision damage waiver coverage will pay.
USAA Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card Features
- APR. You can expect to pay a 13.15% to 27.15% variable APR. The rate is the same for purchases, cash and transfers.
- Military bonuses. If you are deployed or in a permanent change of station, you can enjoy an extra low APR of 4%. You can also qualify for this 4% APR if you are on active duty. This rate applies to all balances. Active service members who don’t qualify for the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) can get the 4% APR on current balances and new transactions.
- Balance transfers. You will have to pay a 3% fee for both balance transfers and cash advances.
- Penalty fee. Both late and returned payments can cost you a fee of up to $35.00.
- Secure. The card includes chip technology for added security. Identity theft resolution services also come with the card in case you become a victim of identity theft. This card is protected by the Zero Liability Policy, and you are not responsible for any unauthorized purchases.
- Accessible. You can manage your account online or through the mobile app. Additionally, you can send a text to view balance and transaction history. With the card, you can make purchases worldwide.
Compare other American Express credit cards
How to apply for the USAA Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card
Applying for this card is easy, and requires applicants to meet the following eligibility requirements:
- You are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.
- You are at least 18 years old
- You are a member of the military, a veteran who was honorably discharged, or an eligible family member of military personnel
Required documents & information:
- Full name
- Residential address
- Marital status
- Phone number
- Email address
- Proof of employment and income amount
If you are affiliated with the military and looking for a credit card that will earn cashback rewards, the USAA Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card could be a helpful solution. Before choosing this card, be sure to compare it with other credit card options.