Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure
How to get priority boarding with United Airlines
Settle in sooner and find a place for your carry-on bags.
Priority boarding on United Airlines will you get you on the plane before other passengers. Active US military members or families with children 2 years old or younger are entitled to preboarding. Otherwise, you can earn your spot in the first boarding groups with elite status, by purchasing priority boarding or by using an eligible United credit card with complimentary priority boarding.
How to get United Airlines priority boarding
You can get United priority boarding if you:
- Purchase a higher fare class. Flying on United Polaris, United First and United Business classes gets you Group 1 boarding.
- Earn elite status. Premier 1K members get preboarding, Premier Platinum and Gold members board Group 1, and Premier Silver members board with Group 2.
- Earn elite status with partner airlines. As a member of the Star Alliance, United grants priority boarding to frequent flyers on partner airlines. Once you reach elite status with a partner airline, that status converts to elite status with the alliance. Star Alliance Gold members board with Group 1, while Silver members board with Group 2.
- Get an eligible United credit card. The United℠ Explorer Card and the United MileagePlus® Club card let you board with Group 2. Companions traveling on your reservation also benefit from this perk.
- Being an active duty US military member. Carry your military ID to preboard your United flight.
- Purchase United priority boarding. If you don’t meet any of the conditions to earn United priority boarding, you can buy one starting from $15.
Who gets priority boarding?
A certain hierarchy is laid out to determine who boards the plane first. Check out the table below to find out where you might stand in the line.
|Group 3 – 5|
Compare credit cards with United Airlines priority boarding
Only two United credit cards let you board with Group 2 by simply being a card member.
How to get United Airlines priority boarding with your credit card
- Using an eligible credit card to snag priority boarding is simple:
- Get an eligible United Airlines credit card.
- Use your card to purchase United airfare and include your MileagePlus number on your reservation.
- You will automatically receive a Group 2 priority boarding.
If you don’t belong in any of the groups entitled to get United priority boarding, you can either purchase one for your flight or you can get an eligible United credit card and get priority boarding on United-operated flights. For more information on the MileagePlus program and its benefits, check out our full United MileagePlus guide.
However, if you prefer a different airline, check out other airline cards that offer priority boarding and compare your options.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Delta Medallion status: How does it work and why you should get it
Ascend through its ranks and Delta Medallion Status pays off with additional perks and benefits for SkyMiles members.
10 best travel credit cards of 2022
Here are our picks for the top travel cards on the market.
Radisson Rewards™ Visa® Card review
Earn rewards and up to three free nights with this Radisson card.
Wyndham Rewards® Earner℠ Plus Card review
Earn rewards on your Wyndham purchases and get complimentary elite status.
Emirates Skywards Rewards World Elite Mastercard® review
Earn Emirates miles on your purchases without paying a high annual fee.
Emirates Skywards Premium World Elite Mastercard® review
Earn Emirates miles on your purchases and enjoy premium benefits with this airline credit card.
Coronavirus coverage: Can I use my credit card travel insurance?
You’ll need a doctor’s confirmation to use your travel insurance.
Visa car rental insurance: How does it work?
Your Visa coverage depends on your credit card provider.
Mastercard car rental insurance: How does it work?
Mastercard offers car rental insurance depending on the issuer.
Compare travel credit cards for fair credit
Cashback cards are among your best options.
Ask an Expert