Compare lifetime pet insurance
Compare pet insurance policies for your furry friend to find the right cover today.
Pet owners can tell you how much their furry friend improves their quality of life. Owning a pet can reduce depression, stress and anxiety as well as provide companionship. That said, being a pet owner can also lead to unexpected medical bills should the pet get injured or fall ill. Find out more about lifetime pet insurance to avoid huge veterinary bills.
What is lifetime pet insurance?
A lifetime pet insurance policy provides coverage for any medical treatment your pet might need throughout its lifetime. It’s the most expensive form of pet insurance, but it also provides the most coverage.
However, this doesn’t mean it provides for unlimited cover, which is why it’s important to read the terms and conditions of your policy.
Another feature you must keep in mind is lifetime pet insurance policies must be renewed every year as each policy only covers a 12-month period.
What does lifetime pet insurance cover?
- Accidental injury
- Illness, including behavioural illnesses if referred by your vet
- Physiotherapy if referred by your vet
Some policies may even offer coverage for extra treatment your pet may need following an accident and injury. This could include things like:
Again, it’s always a good idea to check the terms of your policy as some insurers may not cover your pet after it passes a certain age. For example, with cats and dogs, eight years old is the age at which most insurers don’t cover pets.
However, you must report your pet is missing to the police and most insurers then pay out if they’re not found within 30 days of being reported.
If someone is seriously injured or killed by your dog and you’re taken to court it could cost you hundreds of thousands of pounds so look for policies with a high level of cover.
Different types of lifetime pet insurance cover
Lifetime pet insurance policies come in two different types:
- Annual limit per condition. In this version of coverage the insurer sets a limit to the amount you can claim for each condition. For example, the insurer sets the annual condition limit to £5,000. This means if your dog develops arthritis, the maximum you could claim for medical treatment for the disease in any single year would be £5,000.
- Overall lifetime limit. This version of coverage sets a lifetime limit on the amount you can claim for each condition. For example, if the lifetime limit is £30,000, the maximum you can claim for treatment of your arthritic dog during its lifespan is £30,000. Any extra costs incurred for its treatment would have to be covered by you.
What affects the cost of lifetime pet insurance?
The cost of your lifetime pet insurance policy depends on a number of factors:
- The age of your pet. The older your pet is the more they’ll cost to insure as older animals are more likely to have medical issues.
- Pre-existing medical conditions. If your pet has any medical ailments at the time of buying insurance, they’re likely to cost more to insure.
- Cost of your pet. Pedigree pets cost more to cover than crossbreeds, because they’re more expensive to buy and can suffer from hereditary conditions.
- Type of pet. Smaller pets such as rabbits or guinea pigs are cheaper to cover as veterinary bills are also lower than those for dogs or cats.
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
Cat insurance Find out how you could lower your pet insurance premiums and be the cat that got the cream.
Animal Friends discount codes Our Animal Friends discount codes can help you save on pet insurance. Apply now.
How much does pet insurance cost? In this guide we look at how much pet insurance typically costs and offer tips on lowering your prices.
Legal & General Pet Insurance Review Need pet insurance? Read our review and check out what Legal & General offers.
LV= pet insurance review In need of pet insurance? Read our review of LV= and find out what options it offers.
Argos Pet Insurance review Compare and review Argos' pet insurance policies. Find out if it has the right cover for you and your pet, and how to save on your policy.
Best pet insurance Pets can end up costing you a pretty penny if they're not covered. See how to get the best pet insurance for your furry family members here.
Browse pet insurance providers: A to Z listing A list of popular pet insurers, A to Z.
Cat statistics As lifelong friends, cats can offer you the perfect companionship, so it's no wonder that cats are the UK's second favourite pet!
Pet Protect insurance Looking for affordable pet insurance for your dog or cat? Find out if Pet Protect has a policy for you.