Accident-only pet insurance
Is your young, furry companion fit as a fiddle? Compare accident-only pet insurance for simple and affordable cover.
As the owner of a young and healthy pet, you may wish to avoid high pet insurance premiums, especially if there is very little risk of your companion developing an illness any time soon. But what about accidents that nobody can plan for? Read our guide to find out how accident-only pet insurance works and the pros and cons of getting it.
What does accident-only pet insurance cover?
As the name indicates, accident-only pet insurance typically only covers pet injuries caused by an accident that has occurred during the policy term. As it’s one of the cheapest policies available, this policy type tends to also have a limit on the amount that goes towards treatment carried out after an accident.
Some policies may include cover if emergency treatment is required when your pet is ill, but not all insurers will offer this. Some may also include cover if your pet is responsible for injuring someone else, but this can vary with insurers.
What is not covered by accident-only pet insurance?
Exclusions will vary between pet insurers, but an accident-only pet insurance policy generally won’t cover the following:
- Illnesses or conditions that your pet may develop not relating to any accident
- Pre-existing conditions diagnosed before your accident-only pet insurance policy started
- Any injuries or conditions due to an accident that happened before the pet insurance policy started
- Cosmetic treatment
- Routine dental or gum treatment
- Treatment for behavioural issues
- Regular checkups or vaccinations
Looking for different cover?
Accident-only pet insurance is only one type of pet insurance. If you’d like a little more cover for your pet, there are three other types of pet insurance available. These include the following:
- Lifetime pet insurance. This offers the most comprehensive cover for your pet throughout its lifetime, but usually comes at a high price. You will usually need to renew your policy each year.
- Time-limited pet insurance. This offers basic cover for eligible short-term health conditions or accidents within a certain period of time. After the period has ended, the policy will need to be renewed. But if you made a claim for a particular condition during the previous policy period, that same condition would then be excluded from the new policy.
- Maximum-benefit pet insurance. This offers cover for conditions and accidents up to a certain amount. Once that limit has been reached, the insurer won’t pay out any more and it’s the pet owner’s responsibility to cover any bills.
Pros and cons of accident-only pet insurance
- It is basic in nature but fairly cheap in premiums
- It is most suited to young and healthy pets
- It will typically only cover your pet if they are involved in an accident
- A policy term is usually 12 months, so if treatment for an accident continues into the next year, chances are, you might not be covered
- It is unlikely to suit older pets with growing health concerns
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Business gadget insurance
Find business gadget insurance to cover all your expensive items such as mobile phones and laptops.
Gadget insurance abroad
Find out whether you need gadget insurance for travel and what’s included in the cover, plus tips to keep your devices safe while travelling.
Modified motorcycle insurance
Find out what type of insurance you need if you’ve made additions or alterations to your motorbike.
Learner motorbike insurance
Find out what motorcycle insurance for learner riders includes, what affects the cost of premiums and how you can save money.
Courier van insurance
Find out what van insurance for courier drivers includes, who it’s for and how to save on your policy.
Peugeot 108 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot 108 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Multi bike insurance
Consider your options with multi motorcycle insurance and learn about ways to save on your insurance premiums.
Lexus IS200 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Lexus IS200 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
MG3 insurance group
Find out how much it could cost to insure the MG3 based on your age and location.
Daewoo Matiz insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Daewoo Matiz falls under and how much it costs to insure.