Nationwide offers mobile phone insurance cover as part of its FlexPlus account. We looked at what the policy includes and how you go about making a claim.
Who is Nationwide?
Nationwide is the world’s largest building society, with over 15 million members. It offers a range of banking and financial services, as well as home and life insurance.
Mobile phone insurance from Nationwide is provided by Assurant General Insurance Limited, which is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and authorised and regulated by the Prudential Regulation Authority.
What are the types of cover available?
Mobile phone cover from Nationwide is available as a freebie with the bank’s FlexPlus account. The account also includes travel insurance and breakdown cover for a £13 monthly fee.
Nationwide’s FlexPlus mobile phone insurance includes cover for the following elements:
- Worldwide cover
- Breakdown (including faults)
- Unauthorised network charges up to £2,000 for pay-monthly contract phones, and up to £250 for pay-as-you-go phones in the event they are lost or stolen
- No limit on the number of phones you can register for cover
- A maximum of four successful claims in any 12-month period
- Cover for mobile phones up to a maximum value of £1,500
- Cover for accessories which are involved in the same incident as the handset, up to £250 per claim
To make a claim for mobile phone insurance with Nationwide, you’ll need to take the following steps:
- Go to the Nationwide website and log in to your account to start the claim process – you can create an account if you don’t already have one. You can also claim by calling 0800 11 88 55.
- You will need to register the phone details if you haven’t done so already.
- You will need to provide as much detail about what happened as you can.
- To claim for theft, you will need to obtain a crime reference number from the police.
- You will need to have a debit or credit card handy to pay your excess.
If you’re making a claim for a damaged or faulty iPhone, you’ll need to remove your Find My iPhone account from the handset as part of the claim process.
Managing your policy online
As a Nationwide customer, you get access to an online account where you can manage your policy, view your documents and make a claim.
How to contact
You can contact Nationwide’s customer service team by calling 0800 11 88 55. Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am-8pm, and Saturday and Sunday 9am–6pm.
You can also write to:
Lifestyle Services Group Limited
PO Box 98
Online customer reviews are for Nationwide as a bank.
On Trustpilot, Nationwide has 1.7 out of 5 stars and a rating of “Bad”, based on more than 2,000 reviews.
Things are a little brighter on Reviews.io, where Nationwide has 3.4 out of 5 stars based on more than 60 reviews, with 62% of customers saying they would recommend the bank.
Customers praise the helpful service, but many complain it takes a very long time to get through to customer service on the phone.
Pros and cons
- Included for free with a FlexPlus account.
- Loss and theft included as standard.
- Cover available worldwide.
- No limit on the number of phones you can register for cover (so you can add your family’s devices to the policy).
- Only available to existing Nationwide customers.
- A limit of four successful claims per year.
Mobile phone cover from Nationwide is fairly comprehensive – it includes loss and theft cover as standard and cover is available worldwide. However, you only get four successful claims per year.
The policy comes free with a FlexPlus account, so, if you have one of those, it’s a no brainer – the cover on offer should be sufficient.
If you don’t have an existing account and you’re only after insurance for your phone, you will probably be able to get better cover for less money elsewhere. However, as the FlexPlus account comes with additional benefits, such as travel insurance and breakdown cover, you should weigh up everything on offer and decide if the £13 monthly fee would be worth it for your needs.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Nationwide Member Credit Card Balance Transfer Offer – 2023 review
Nationwide thinks it’s time to take your membership to the next level – offering 0% interest (for a promotional period) on existing card debt that you transfer across from other card issuers.
Nationwide Member Credit Card All Rounder – 2023 review
Existing Nationwide members can enjoy 0% deals on purchases and balance transfers, plus fee-free spending overseas.