Review: UBS Visa Signature credit card
A solid, no-annual-fee travel card with a decent introductory balance transfer offer.
- Get this card if … you’re looking for a flexible rewards card with no annual fee.
- Pick something else if … you want strong point earnings for travel rewards or a signup bonus.
- Recommended good to excellent credit range of 740 to 850 to apply.
Up to 1x
Purchase APR (variable)
Intro balance transfer
for the first 12 billing cycles (then 15.24% variable)
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards, banking and investments writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Business.com, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order by expertly navigating cutting-edge financial tools — including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
But everything changes when you consider the card’s $0 annual fee. This is a big benefit, especially when many travel cards charge a price for admission. Given this distinction, it’s more appropriate to group the UBS Visa Signature credit card with a solid offering like the BankAmericard Travel Rewards.
You can collect points without the pressure to make an annual fee worthwhile. Afterward, redeem your points for travel, gift cards, merchandise and even statement credit. According to UBS, you can redeem a $350 plane ticket for 25,000 points (that’s a value of 1.4 cents per point) and a $900 ticket for 50,000 points (1.8 cents per point). That’s a good value compared to the industry standard of 1 point = 1 cent.
You’ll find a few more standout features with the UBS Visa Signature credit card. First, through CashConnect, you pay no finance charges or cash advance fees when taking out cash with your credit card. Second, you can access UBS Concierge to make plans in travel, dining and entertainment. And finally, you’ll get a 0% APR for 12 billing cycles on balance transfers you make within the first 90 days.
How to apply for the UBS Visa Signature credit card
To apply for the UBS Visa Signature credit card, you must be at least 18 years old. You can’t apply from the UBS website; instead, call 800-762-1000 to set up a UBS account and request the card.
Here is some information you’ll need when you apply for the UBS Visa Signature credit card:
- Your full name and contact information.
- Your residential status
- Your annual income, source of income and employment information
- Your Social Security number
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of being approved for the UBS Visa Signature credit card if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 740 or higher.
How long will it take to be approved?
Credit card approval depends on a variety of factors. It’s possible to find out whether you’ve been approved immediately, but approval could take up to a few weeks.
- POINTS: My Choice Rewards earnings. Earn 1 point for every dollar you spend. Redeem points for flights and hotels — with no blackout dates, car rentals, cruises, gift cards, merchandise and statement credit.
- CASH CONNECT: Get cash with no finance charges or cash advance fees. As long as you have enough money in your UBS Resource Management Account, you won’t be charged interest or cash advance fees when you take out cash. Your cash advance is automatically repaid the same night.
- FREE ATMS: ATM fee rebates. If you’re charged a fee for using an ATM in the US, you’ll be reimbursed up to $3 each time.
- NO FEES: No annual fee. Unlike other travel cards, this one comes with a $0 annual fee.
- Signup bonus. Earn 5,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 in the first three months.
You’ll also like …
- UBS Concierge. Call in for help with travel, event and dining plans.
- Travel protection. Get lost luggage reimbursement, delayed luggage coverage, emergency assistance, travel accident insurance, auto rental collision damage waivers and roadside assistance.
- Purchase protection. Purchases come with security, extended warranties and return protection.
Compare travel rewards cards
What to watch out for
- Foreign transaction fees. The UBS Visa Signature credit card is solid for travel rewards, but you’ll incur fees when using it abroad.
- It hurts to pay late. Making late or returned payments could result in fees as high as $38.
- Expiration on intro balance transfer APR. You’ll accrue no interest on your initial balance transfers for 12 billing cycles. Afterward, your transfers are subject to a 15.24% APR.
- No interest grace periods on cash advances or balance transfers. Outside of the introductory APR period, any cash advances and balance transfers accrue interest immediately.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make timely payments. Pay your credit card bill online through the UBS website.
- Avoid interest payments. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 23 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $38. Balance transfers, cash advances and foreign transactions also come with fees.
- Customer service. If you have questions, contact UBS Client Relations at 800-354-9103.
Since there’s no annual fee to worry about, the UBS Visa Signature credit card lets you earn travel rewards at a leisurely pace. The card is also a good choice if you want a balance transfer offer or if you want to take out cash from your card. If this card doesn’t fit your needs, check out UBS’s other card options or explore other travel reward cards.