A solid, no-annual-fee travel card with a decent introductory balance transfer offer.
- Get this card if … you’re looking for a flexible rewards card with no annual fee.
- Pick something else if … you want strong point earnings for travel rewards or a signup bonus.
- Recommended good to excellent credit range of 680 to 850 to apply.
|Product Name||UBS Visa Signature credit card|
|Intro APR for Balance Transfer||0% Intro APR for 12 billing cycles (with whichever is greater, $2 - $10 or 2% - 3% balance transfer fee)|
|Balance Transfer Rate (not intro)||16.74% variable|
|APR for Purchases ( Purchase Rate )||16.74% variable|
|Cash Advance Rate||23.74% variable|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 23 days|
|Returned Payment Fee||$38|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (VISA)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|3% of transaction value|
|Minimum Credit Score||Fair (660-699)|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Returned Payment Fee||$38|
|Over The Credit Line Fee||$0|
|Late Payment Fee||$38|
|Cash Advance Fee||$2 - $10 or 2% - 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater|
At first glance, it’s difficult to see how the UBS Visa Signature holds a candle to other rewards cards: You get only 1x points on all purchases, for example. You also don’t get perks like point transfers to hotel and airline programs, like you do with the Chase Sapphire Preferred.
But everything changes when you consider the card’s $0 p.a. annual fee. This is a big benefit, especially when many travel cards charge a price for admission. Given this distinction, it’s more appropriate to group the UBS Visa Signature with a solid offering like the BankAmericard Travel Rewards.
You can collect points without the pressure to make an annual fee worthwhile. Afterward, redeem your points for travel, gift cards, merchandise and even statement credit. According to UBS, you can redeem a $350 plane ticket for 25,000 points (that’s a value of 1.4 cents per point) and a $900 ticket for 50,000 points (1.8 cents per point). That’s a good value compared to the industry standard of 1 point = 1 cent.
You’ll find a few more standout features with the UBS Visa Signature. First, through CashConnect, you pay no finance charges or cash advance fees when taking out cash with your credit card. Second, you can access UBS Concierge to make plans in travel, dining and entertainment. And finally, you’ll get a APR for 12 billing cycles on balance transfers you make within the first 90 days.
|Review Site||Reviewer||Star Rating|
|Value Penguin||Robert Harrow||95% or 5/5|
- POINTS: My Choice Rewards earnings. Earn 1 point for every dollar you spend. Redeem points for flights and hotels — with no blackout dates, car rentals, cruises, gift cards, merchandise and statement credit.
- CASH CONNECT: Get cash with no finance charges or cash advance fees. As long as you have enough money in your UBS Resource Management Account, you won’t be charged interest or cash advance fees when you take out cash. Your cash advance is automatically repaid the same night.
- FREE ATMS: ATM fee rebates. If you’re charged a fee for using an ATM in the US, you’ll be reimbursed up to $3 each time.
- NO FEES: No annual fee. Unlike other travel cards, this one comes with a $0 p.a. annual fee.
- Signup bonus. Earn 5,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 in the first three months.
You’ll also like …
- UBS Concierge. Call in for help with travel, event and dining plans.
- Travel protection. Get lost luggage reimbursement, delayed luggage coverage, emergency assistance, travel accident insurance, auto rental collision damage waivers and roadside assistance.
- Purchase protection. Purchases come with security, extended warranties and return protection.
What to watch out for
- Foreign transaction fees. The UBS Visa Signature is solid for travel rewards, but you’ll incur fees when using it abroad.
- It hurts to pay late. Making late or returned payments could result in fees as high as $38.
- Expiration on intro balance transfer APR. You’ll accrue no interest on your initial balance transfers for 12 billing cycles. Afterward, your transfers are subject to a 16.74% variable APR.
- No interest grace periods on cash advances or balance transfers. Outside of the introductory APR period, any cash advances and balance transfers accrue interest immediately.
Consider other cards if …
- You want cash back. The UBS Visa Signature offers points for your spending. For cash back, consider cards like the Citi Double Cash and Blue Cash Preferred.
How to apply for the UBS Visa Signature credit card
To apply for the UBS Visa Signature, you must be at least 18 years old. You can’t apply from the UBS website; instead, call 800-762-1000 to set up a UBS account and request the card.
Always consider your options and your financial situation before you apply for a credit card.
Here is some information you’ll need when you apply for the UBS Visa Signature:
- Your full name and contact information.
- Your residential status
- Your annual income, source of income and employment information
- Your Social Security number
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of being approved for the UBS Visa Signature credit card if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 680 or higher.
How long will it take to be approved?
Credit card approval depends on a variety of factors. It’s possible to find out whether you’ve been approved immediately, but approval could take up to a few weeks.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make timely payments. Pay your credit card bill online through the UBS website.
- Avoid interest payments. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 23 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $38. Balance transfers, cash advances and foreign transactions also come with fees.
- Customer service. If you have questions, contact UBS Client Relations at 800-354-9103.
Since there’s no annual fee to worry about, the UBS Visa Signature lets you earn rewards at a leisurely pace. The card is also a good choice if you want a balance transfer offer or if you want to take out cash from your card.