Uber Visa is a great cash back card, whether you ride Uber often or not.
- Get this card if … you eat out or travel frequently — or ride Uber a lot.
- Pick something else if … you want travel rewards.
- Recommended credit score… good to excellent credit of 680 to 850.
|Product Name||Uber Visa Card|
|Balance Transfer Rate (not intro)||16.24%, 21.99% or 24.99% variable|
|APR for Purchases ( Purchase Rate )||16.24%, 21.99% or 24.99% variable|
|Cash Advance Rate||26.24%|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 23 days|
|Returned Payment Fee||$37|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (VISA)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|0% of transaction value|
|Minimum Credit Score||Fair (660-699)|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Returned Payment Fee||$37|
|Late Payment Fee||$37|
|Cash Advance Fee||$10 or 3% of each cash advance, whichever is greate|
Tiered point rewards
Uber is getting in on the credit card game with its Uber Visa card. This card isn’t just for Uber riders — you’ll find rewards for almost everything you buy.
With no annual fee, you’ll benefit from its robust rewards system:
- 4% back on dining. Restaurants, bars, takeout and UberEATS.
- 3% back on travel. Hotels, airfare and vacation home rentals.
- 2% back on online purchases. Uber rides, online shopping, and video and music streaming.
- 1% back on everything else.
Its high 4% and 3% back on dining and travel, respectively, is a stellar rewards rate. It lets the Uber Visa Card eclipse even fan-favorites like the Chase Sapphire Preferred — only offering 2x points on travel and dining.
If you like online shopping, you’ll love the 2% rewards rate you’ll get for purchases. Luckily, this rate extends to Uber rides too.
If you don’t dine out, travel or shop online much, you’ll still benefit from the Uber Visa’s 1% back on all purchases. However, you may earn better rewards from a card like the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite or the Citi Double Cash.
You’ll see that your rewards are expressed as cash-back percentages. Barclaycard actually awards you points for your spending to redeem as Uber credits, gift cards and cash back. One point is worth one cent, which is the industry average for rewards.
Redeem points for Uber credits in a snap
After you link your Uber Visa Card to your Uber account, you can redeem points quickly. Hop into your Uber app, open the menu and tap on your points balance. Credit redemptions usually complete within seconds.
- No annual fee or foreign transaction fees. Use the card as much or as little as you want when you’re traveling without paying extra fees for the privilege of using the card.
- Earn rewards for spending. The Uber Visa Card comes with a robust points system, with up to 4% points for travel spending and online purchases and 1% on everything else. Redeem points for cash back, Uber credits or gift cards.
- Signup cash bonus. If you spend at least $500 within the first 90 days, you’ll earn $100.
You’ll also like…
- Subscription credit. Each account year you spend at least $5,000 on your card, you’ll earn a $50 subscription services credit. Use this credit to pay for music or video streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Google Music and more.
- Mobile phone insurance. Your phone is covered for damage or theft — up to $600 — when you pay your phone bill with your card.
- Card member-only promotions. Get access to exclusive events and offers in some US cities.
- Complimentary FICO Score online access. Log in to your account to view your FICO Score and set up alerts to keep an eye on credit changes.
What to watch out for
- Potentially high APR. Depending on your credit, you could have a purchase and balance transfer APR as high as 24.99%.
- Higher APR for cash advances. Cash advances come with a 26.24% APR.
- Other fees. The card has no annual or foreign transaction fees, but you’ll pay fees for balance transfers and cash advances.
- Penalty fees. Late and returned payments can hurt: You’ll pay up to $37.
- Redemption requirements. You’ll need to redeem a minimum of 2,500 or $25 for any rewards except Uber credits, which have a lower minimum of 500 points for $5. You’re also limited to redeeming $500 per day.
Consider other cards if…
- You want more cash back. Consider other cash back cards like the Citi Double Cash and the Blue Cash Preferred from American Express.
- You want travel perks. While the Uber Visa offers no foreign transaction fees and rewards on travel purchases, you can also find cards with other travel perks. For example, the Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard® offers trip delay or cancellation insurance, international car rental protection and Mastercard World Elite travel perks.
Compare other Barclaycard credit cards
The Uber Visa isn’t the only card that rewards you for spending. Many Barclaycard credit cards offer excellent rewards if you have the credit score to qualify.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the Uber Visa Card, you must be at least 18 years old and a US resident.
Always consider your options and your financial situation before you apply for a credit card.
Information you’ll need
- Full name and contact information
- Residential status
- Annual income and employment information
- Social Security number, date of birth and mother’s maiden name
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of approval for the Uber Visa Card if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 680 or higher.
How to apply for the Uber Visa Card
Applying online is easy. Go to Uber’s website and click Apply Now. Complete the application with details like your name, contact information, annual income and Social Security number. Then click the Apply button to submit your application.
How long will it take to be approved?
Typically, you’ll receive an immediate decision on your application. In rare cases, you may need to wait a few days to a few weeks until Barclaycard manually approves your application.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make timely payments. Pay your bill online at the Barclaycard website, where you can also enroll in autopay.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 23 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $37. Balance transfers and cash advances also come with fees.
- Customer service. If you have questions, contact Barclaycard customer service at 866-928-8598.
The Uber Visa Card may seem like a product only for Uber diehards. However, it’s a surprisingly robust card that offers rewards for all kinds of spending. You’ll enjoy the stellar cash back rewards — and paying no annual fees. And if you ride Uber frequently, you’ll love the card’s easy credit redemption.