Uber Visa is a great cash back card, whether you ride Uber often or not.
- Get this card if … you eat out or travel frequently — or ride Uber a lot.
- Pick something else if … you want travel rewards.
- Recommended credit score … good to excellent credit of 680 to 850.
|Product Name||Uber Visa Card|
|Annual Fee||$0 annual fee for the first year ( thereafter)|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||16.74%, 22.49% or 25.49% variable|
|Balance Transfer Fee||3% or $10 of the transaction, whichever is greater|
|Cash Advance Rate||26.74% variable|
|Cash Advance Fee||$10 or 3% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 23 days|
|Late Payment Fee||Up to $37|
|Returned Payment Fee||Up to $37|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Welcome Bonus||Earn 10,000 cash back after spending $500 in the first 90 days|
|Reward Value per Dollar||1% cash back|
|Rewards Points Expiry||Never|
Tiered point rewards
Uber is getting in on the credit card game with its Uber Visa Card. This card isn’t just for Uber riders — you’ll find rewards for almost everything you buy.
With no annual fee, you’ll benefit from its robust rewards system:
- 4% back on dining. Restaurants, bars, takeout and UberEATS.
- 3% back on travel. Hotels, airfare and vacation home rentals.
- 2% back on online purchases. Uber rides, online shopping, and video and music streaming.
- 2% back on everything else.
Its high 4% and 3% back on dining and travel, respectively, is a stellar rewards rate. It lets the Uber Visa Card eclipse even fan-favorites like the Chase Sapphire Preferred® credit card — only offering 2x points on travel and dining.
If you like online shopping, you’ll love the 2% rewards rate you’ll get for purchases. Luckily, this rate extends to Uber rides too.
If you don’t dine out, travel or shop online much, you’ll still benefit from the Uber Visa Card’s 1% back on all purchases. However, you may earn better rewards from a card like the Barclaycard Arrival® Plus World Elite Mastercard® or the Citi® Double Cash Card.
You’ll see that your rewards are expressed as cash-back percentages. Barclaycard actually awards you points for your spending to redeem as Uber credits, gift cards and cash back. One point is worth one cent, which is the industry average for rewards.
Redeem points for Uber credits in a snap
After you link your Uber Visa Card to your Uber account, you can redeem points quickly. Hop into your Uber app, open the menu and tap on your points balance. Credit redemptions usually complete within seconds.
- No annual fee or foreign transaction fees. Use the card as much or as little as you want when you’re traveling without paying extra fees for the privilege of using the card.
- Earn rewards for spending. The Uber Visa Card comes with a robust points system, with up to 3% back for travel spending and online purchases and on everything else. Redeem points for cash back, Uber credits or gift cards.
- Signup cash bonus. If you spend at least $500 within the first 90 days, you'll earn $100.
You’ll also like …
- Subscription credit. Each account year you spend at least $5,000 on your card, you’ll earn a $50 subscription services credit. Use this credit to pay for music or video streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Google Music and more.
- Mobile phone insurance. Your phone is covered for damage or theft — up to $600 — when you pay your phone bill with your card.
- Card member-only promotions. Get access to exclusive events and offers in some US cities.
- Complimentary FICO Score online access. Log in to your account to view your FICO Score and set up alerts to keep an eye on credit changes.
What to watch out for
- Potentially high APR. Depending on your credit, you could have a purchase and balance transfer APR as high as 25.49% variable.
- Higher APR for cash advances. Cash advances come with a 26.74% variable APR.
- Other fees. The card has no annual or foreign transaction fees, but you’ll pay fees for balance transfers and cash advances.
- Penalty fees. Late and returned payments can hurt: You’ll pay up to $37
- Redemption requirements. You’ll need to redeem a minimum of 2,500 or $25 for any rewards except Uber credits, which have a lower minimum of 500 points for $5. You’re also limited to redeeming $500 per day.
Consider other cards if…
- You want more cash back. Consider other cash back cards like the Citi® Double Cash Card and the Blue Cash Preferred® Card.
- You want travel perks. While the Uber Visa Card offers no foreign transaction fees and rewards on travel purchases, you can also find cards with other travel perks. For example, the Barclaycard Arrival® Plus World Elite Mastercard® offers trip delay or cancellation insurance, international car rental protection and Mastercard World Elite travel perks.
Compare other Barclaycard credit cards
The Uber Visa Card isn’t the only card that rewards you for spending. Many Barclaycard credit cards offer excellent rewards if you have the credit score to qualify.
Is the Uber Visa Card worth getting?
Since the Uber Visa Card has no annual fee, you don’t need to worry about earning enough rewards to make the card worth it. However, you’ll get the most rewards if you’re a certain type of spender.
If you’re a foodie, the Uber Visa Card will be your best friend. 4% cash back eclipses the earnings from the Chase Sapphire Preferred® credit card, which offers 2x points on dining. It even outshines the 3% cash back you’ll earn from the Savor® from Capital One®.
The Uber Visa Card brings more good news for travel purchases, as its 3% cash back beats the 2x points you’ll earn from the Chase Sapphire Preferred® credit card. For travel rewards, the Uber Visa Card is an excellent pick — even if you won’t get many travel benefits.
If you don’t travel or eat out much, you might get more out of a card that offers accelerated cash back on all purchases. The Citi® Double Cash Card, for example, offers an effective 1% cash back on everything you buy.
How the Uber Visa Card stacks up against other cards
The Uber Visa Card is an excellent choice compared to many specialized cards, so long as you have the right mix of spending.
$3,000 in dining, $3,000 in travel, $10,000 in everyday purchases
Go for the Uber Visa Card if you travel often and love eating out.
|Uber Visa Card||Chase Sapphire Preferred|
|Eating out||$3,000 x 4% cash back = $120 cash back||$3,000 x 2x points = 6,000 points ($75 value toward Chase Ultimate Rewards)|
|Travel||$3,000 x 4% cash back = $120 cash back||$3,000 x 2x points = 6,000 points ($75 value toward Chase Ultimate Rewards)|
|Everyday purchases||$10,000 x 1% cash back = $100 cash back||$10,000 x 1x points = 10,000 points ($125 value toward Chase Ultimate Rewards)|
|Effective value of rewards||$340 cash back||$180 in points|
$500 in dining, $500 in travel, $10,000 in everyday expenses
If most of your spending consists of everyday purchases like gas, convenience stores or gym membership , you may get more out of a general cash back card.
|Uber Visa Card||Citi Double Cash|
|Eating out||$500 x 4% cash back = $20 cash back||$500 x 2% cash back = $10 cash back|
|Travel||$500 x 3% cash back = $15 cash back||$500 x 2% cash back = $10 cash back|
|Everyday purchases||$10,000 x 1% cash back = $100 cash back||$10,000 x 2% cash back = $200 cash back|
|Effective value of rewards||$135 cash back||$220 cash back|
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the Uber Visa Card, you must be at least 18 years old and a US resident.
Information you’ll need
- Full name and contact information
- Residential status
- Annual income and employment information
- Social Security number, date of birth and mother’s maiden name
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of approval for the Uber Visa Card if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 680 or higher.
How to apply for the Uber Visa Card
How long will it take to be approved?
Typically, you’ll receive an immediate decision on your application. In rare cases, you may need to wait a few days to a few weeks until Barclaycard manually approves your application.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make timely payments. Pay your bill online at the Barclaycard website, where you can also enroll in autopay.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of Up to 23 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to Up to $37. Balance transfers and cash advances also come with fees.
- Customer service. If you have questions, contact Barclaycard customer service at 866-928-8598.
The Uber Visa Card may seem like a product only for Uber diehards. However, it’s a surprisingly robust card that offers rewards for all kinds of spending. You’ll enjoy the stellar cash back rewards — and paying no annual fees. And if you ride Uber frequently, you’ll love the card’s easy credit redemption.