The superbly priced wireless provider known for great prices — and a bad signal.
Long-standing customers of wireless giant T-Mobile appreciate its lower costs despite complaints of weak coverage in rural areas. But with recent T-Mobile marketing seemingly addressing these concerns, maybe we now can focus on its affordable unlimited wireless solutions on the fastest network around.
- If you switch to T-Mobile, they'll pay off your early termination fees
- Some prepaid plans include unlimited music streaming
- Good prices. Especially when compared with other major carriers.
- Taxes included. T-Mobile One plans prices include taxes, making it’s easier to predict what you’ll pay each month.
- Improving coverage. Recent reports on coverage improvements indicate that T-Mobile is catching up to the industry-leading Verizon quickly enough to potentially eliminate any gaps.
- Disconnects in support. T-Mobile has award-winning customer service, but in-store and phone support don’t often overlap.
- Poor signal areas. Despite improvements, rural areas of Montana, Wisconsin and West Virginia still get weak signals.
What is T-Mobile?
A major US carrier, T-Mobile offers wireless service for individuals, families and businesses. With 72.6 million customers, it’s among the top three wireless telco providers in the United States.
T-Mobile’s wireless voice and data services can be found throughout the US, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands under both the T-Mobile and MetroPCS brands. Its network also hosts many MVNOs. T-Mobile boasts that its network currently reaches 98% of Americans.
WHAT IS AN MVNO?
Short for mobile virtual network operator, an MVNO is a smaller companies without its own wireless network. Instead, it buys talk, text and data wholesale from big-name carriers to resell under its brand to customers. MVNOs are effectively one of the “big four” carriers — AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile or Verizon — running under a different name.
See T-Mobile's coverage map from T-Mobile
T-Mobile Extended LTE CoverageView details
What services does T-Mobile offer?
T-Mobile offers a wide array of services and wireless solutions to satisfy your personal, family and business needs.
Simply Prepaid Plans
These prepaid plans include unlimited music streaming, and you can add on international calling.
- $45 a month for unlimited talk, text and data with 4GB 4G LTE
- $55 a month for unlimited talk, text and data with 6GB 4G LTE
T-Mobile One Prepaid
Prepaid plans include unlimited service to Mexico and Canada and 3G mobile hotspots.
- $75 a month for unlimited talk, text and unlimited 4G LTE data
T-Mobile One Plan
Choose from four One Plans that reflect discounts for each new line added. A bonus is that this one price includes taxes, unlimited music and video streaming and mobile hotspot data.
- $70 a month for 1 line with unlimited talk and text and data
- $100 a month for 2 lines with unlimited talk, text and data
- $130 a month for 3 lines with unlimited talk, text and data
- $140 a month for 4 lines with unlimited talk, text and data
Are there any other features I should know about?
T-Mobile offers an excessive number of “extras.” So many, it’s hard to know them all before purchasing — or even as an active customer. Here are a few of their most popular.
- Free in-flight texting and data. T-Mobile users can enjoy unlimited texting and an hour of free data on Gogo-enabled flights.
- The Uncontract. T-Mobile One users are able to take advantage of the Uncontract — which means that you can change the price you pay for your service.
- International wireless service. Add T-Mobile One Plus International for $25 a line per month to get unlimited international calling to landlines in more than 70 countries and mobile devices in more than 30.
- T-Mobile Tuesdays. For T-Mobile users, Tuesdays are when they receive their “rewards.” Simply download the app and wait for T-Mobile to reward you.
What to watch out for
While T-Mobile appears to be taking a proactive approach to what some might call its “weaknesses,” it does have some work to do.
- So-so signal. While describing the T-Mobile coverage as “bad” or “poor” is exaggerating the issue, you could accurately say that it doesn’t offer the best coverage. Verify that you don’t live in one of the areas T-Mobile is still working to improve.
- Retail store–call center disconnect. If you sign up for a service at a T-Mobile retail store, you may be directed by the call center to return to the store if you have a problem.
How do I sign up for TMobile?
To sign up for T-Mobile, visit your nearest T-Mobile retail store or authorized dealer or sign up online.
T-Mobile is a solid option for wireless service, offering a wide variety of “unlimited” and prepaid plans on a leading network. If you have good T-Mobile service in your area and want to work with a major carrier, compare its options to your current provider.