The Credit People review
Month-to-month and flatrate credit repair memberships, but be wary of high fees with no guarantee of a better credit score.
What's in this review?
What is The Credit People?The Credit People is a credit repair service that was founded in 2001 and has headquarters in Cottonwood Heights, Utah. It’s processed over 310,000 credit reports and its team is trained in the laws that regulate credit repair, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act.The Credit People claims to be the only credit repair company that offers its customers free credit reports and credit scores when you sign up. It also offers an online platform that allows you to monitor the progress of your credit repair with along the way.
Features and benefits
On average, most customers see results with The Credit People within two months. The Credit People offers a seven-day trial for $19, along with several other benefits:
- Access to credit reports. Your credit reports are included in your monthly fee.
- Online account access. Monitor the progress made on the road to repairing your credit with an online dashboard.
- Cancel anytime. The Credit People claims it’s easy to cancel the service anytime with no questions.
How much does it cost?
|Initial set-up fee||$19|
|Monthly membership fee||$79|
|Six-month flatrate membership fee||$379|
|Couples discount||$20 off each spouse’s first monthly payment|
How long does it take for The Credit People to improve my credit?
Results vary depending on your situation, but The Credit People considers your individual credit score and the length of time it takes for your creditors to respond. The Credit People claims that most of their customers see results within 60 days.
Is there a guarantee to fix my credit report?
Unfortunately, no credit repair service can claim a guaranteed improvement of your credit score because of the Credit Repair Organizations Act.
This statute was enacted in 1996 by President Bill Clinton to stop the deceptive advertising and predatory business practices used by many credit repair companies.
The act requires credit repair services to provide potential clients with the information they need to make an informed decision. This means no credit repair service can claim a guaranteed improvement of your credit score.
What to watch out for
While The Credit People gives you access to your credit report and work to repair your credit, be on the lookout for the following potential drawbacks:
- No guarantees. The Credit People can’t guarantee results, which means you could pay for months of service for minimal results, if any.
- High monthly fees. After your trial period is up, expect to pay $79 a month for your credit repair service.
Compare The Credit People to other credit repair services
How do I sign up?
- Go to The Credit People‘s site and click Get Started.
- Enter your full name, address, phone number and email address. Click Next Step.
- Enter your payment information and select the membership type you’re interested in applying for. Read The Credit Peoples terms and conditions. Click Next Step.
- Confirm payment to complete the application.
How do I cancel with The Credit People?The Credit People‘s site states that you can cancel at any time and that it won’t charge you for the month of service when you cancel.
To cancel your service with The Credit People, send an email or call its customer service line and indicate that you’d like to close your account.
If you have questions or concerns, contact The Credit People‘s customer service by email at email@example.com or call 866-934-7633. Unfortunately, it doesn’t provide the hours its customer service is available or how long you can expect to wait to hear back from an online representative.
Once you pay your membership fee, you have 24-hour access to your online account to monitor your credit score and review progress to improve your rating.
There is also a FAQ section on The Credit People‘s site that helps answer questions about its service.
The Credit People reviews and complaints
Some credit repair services have been subject to criticism in the past for predatory business practices. If you’re going to invest your hard-earned money, you want the service you select to put your funds to good use.
As of October 2020, here’s what we found out about The Credit People’s online reputation:
- Better Business Bureau (BBB). It’s not accredited by the BBB and earns a C+ rating based on factors like transparency and complaint history. Most customers were frustrated that their credit didn’t improve after working with The Credit People after several months.
- Trustpilot. We found nothing about The Credit People on Trustpilot.
- Legal trouble. There isn’t much to report in terms of legal trouble for The Credit People, which is a good sign. But keep your eyes peeled for credit repair services in the headlines.
If you suspect there are incorrect entries on your credit report negatively impacting your score, a credit repair service might be able to help. The Credit People offers monthly or flatrate membership fees and will provide you with online access to your credit reports within the first week of service.
If you’d like to hire a credit repair service to improve your credit score, explore your options with additional providers to find a credit repair service that best fits your needs and budget.
Images: The Credit People