Sphere® Credit Card review
One of the best intro APR offers on the market, letting you earn rewards when competitors don’t.
- Get this card if you want a market-leading intro APR with rewards.
- Pick something else if you want stronger rewards.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Discontinued productThis card has been discontinued, and it is not available on our site. Compare other credit cards or take Finder's credit card quiz to find one that fits your needs.
How to apply for the Sphere® Credit Card
- On the Santander website, find the Sphere® Credit Card and click Apply now.
- Select your state and enter your ZIP code.
- Complete the application with details like your name, address, annual income and Social Security number.
- Review and submit your application.
- Annual fee: None. A $0 annual fee is a great combination with the card’s topnotch intro APR.
- Intro APR: 0% on purchases and balance transfers for 18 billing cycles following your account opening. After that, your purchase and balance transfer APR will be 14.74% to 24.74% variable. This is an excellent intro APR, and it’s the card’s best feature. If you want one of the top balance transfer cards on the market, this product is a great choice. This intro rate applies only to balances you transfer within the first 90 days of card membership.
- Rewards: A flat rate on every purchase. Earn 1x points on all purchases, with no cap. This isn’t a great rate, but it’s rare among cards that offer such strong intro APRs. Redeem your points for gift cards, merchandise, electronic certificates or cash back via statement credit.
You’ll also like …
- Santander Instant Card Hold. Make sure your account stays safe in the event that your card is lost or stolen by using the Santander Instant Hold. This keeps third parties from making unauthorized purchases on your card while you locate or cancel it.
What to watch out for
- Potentially high APR. If you have a weaker credit history, you may be given a purchase and balance transfer APR as high as 24.74% variable. That’s pretty high, considering the average APR is around 16%.
- Penalty APR. Santander may apply a penalty APR of variable to all of your balances if you miss a payment, pay late or make a payment that’s returned. The penalty APR applies until you make six consecutive on-time payments of at least the minimum amount due. After that, Santander may remove the penalty rate at its discretion. A penalty APR is never fun, and it increases the consequences of slipping up on payments. Don’t be afraid to compare other credit cards, as there are a few banks that don’t charge penalty APRs.
How does a balance transfer work with this card?
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the Sphere® Credit Card, you must be at least 18 years old. The card is also only available to customers in these states:
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New York
- Rhode Island
Information you’ll need
- Your full name and contact information.
- Your residential status.
- Your annual income, source of income and employment information.
- Your Social Security number.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of being approved for this card if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 to 850.
Here are a few other factors that might affect your odds of approval:
- Hard pulls on your credit report. If you have several hard inquiries — or hard pulls — on your report, it could imply you’re having trouble managing your debt. Santander might think you’re desperate for credit and may be less likely to take you on as a customer.
- Factors that tie into your credit score. Your credit utilization is a major factor Santander considers. The bank prefers a customer with low balances relative to their credit limit. Having many new card accounts may be a red flag too, as it could indicate you’re desperate for credit. It may also give the impression that you’re a flighty customer who’s just hunting for signup bonuses.
Sphere® Credit Card reviews and complaints
Santander Bank is not accredited with the Better Business Bureau, but it earns an A rating from the agency as of October 2020. Currently, 88% of its reviews are negative and it has over 200 customer complaints. Santander customers report difficulty opening accounts, signup bonuses that aren’t honored and unresponsive customer support.
The company earns a Trustpilot score of 1.6 out of 5 as of October 2020. Many negative reviews cite extremely slow customer service, difficulty getting fees reversed and inflexible company policies.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make payments on time. Register your account on the Santander website to pay your balance online. You can also enroll in automatic recurring payments.
- Avoid the penalty APR. If you miss a payment, pay late or make a payment that’s returned, Santander may assess a penalty APR of variable to all of your balances. This could last indefinitely, so make sure to keep on top of your payments.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of at least 21 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. For each late payment, you’ll incur a fee of up to $35. Balance transfers and cash advances also come with fees.
- Contact customer service. If you have questions about your account, call the number on the back of your card. Alternatively, call 1-877-768-2265 to speak with a Personal Banking Representative.
Compare intro APR credit cards
The Sphere® Credit Card is one of the top cards on the market for its excellent intro APR on both purchases and balance transfers. Unlike its closest competitors, it also offers rewards — a nice sweetener if you’re on the fence between a few cards.
Before you decide if the Sphere® Credit Card is right for you, compare other balance transfer credit cards to make sure you’re getting the one that best fits your spending habits and financial needs.
Frequently asked questions
Images: santanderbank.comBack to top
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards, banking and investments writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Business.com, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order by expertly navigating cutting-edge financial tools — including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
For a card with a market-leading intro APR, the Sphere® Credit Card is a top choice. It offers an excellent intro APR on both purchases and balance transfers, which can be a godsend if you’re struggling with debt or preparing to make a major purchase. And it does one better than many of its competitors by offering rewards — all while charging no annual fee.