Few cards offer 0% APR for 18 billing cycles on purchases and balance transfers. Even fewer offer rewards to boot.
- If you want a card with a market-leading 0% APR promotion and rewards, you’ve found a rare product in the Sphere® Credit Card.
- If you want a card with powerful rewards, try a different card. The Sphere® Credit Card offers decent rewards, but nothing truly exciting.
|Product Name||Sphere® Credit Card|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||14.24% to 24.24% variable|
|Introductory Purchase APR||0% for the first 18 billing cycles (then 14.24% to 24.24% variable)|
|Introductory Balance Transfer APR||0% for the first 18 billing cycles (then 14.24% to 24.24% variable)|
|Balance Transfer Fee||4% or $10 (whichever is greater)|
|Cash Advance Rate||26.24% variable|
|Cash Advance Fee||$10 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||3% of the transaction amount|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 21 days|
|Late Payment Fee||$35|
|Returned Payment Fee||$35|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Reward Value per Dollar||1 points|
|Rewards Points Expiry||Never|
If you’re looking for a strong interest rate, the Sphere® Credit Card is a natural pick. It offers 0% APR for a stellar 18 months on purchases and balance transfers.
That’s the same 0% APR period offered by its closest rivals, the Citi Simplicity® Card and U.S. Bank Visa® Platinum. But the Sphere® Credit Card pulls ahead of both with its rewards: 1x points on all purchases. It’s not the most powerful rewards scheme, but it’s a rarity among cards offering market-leading 0% APR promotions.
- ANNUAL FEE: $0 annual fee makes it easy to keep the Sphere® Credit Card long term.
- INTRO APR: 0% on purchases and balance transfers for 18 billing cycles.
This is an excellent 0% APR promotion, making the Sphere® Credit Card one of the top balance transfer cards you’ll find. For an even stronger introductory interest rate, consider the Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card. It offers 0% APR on balance transfers for 21 months. The tradeoff, however, is you’ll get 0% APR on purchases for only 12 months.
- REWARDS: Earn points on every purchase.
You’ll earn 1 point per dollar you spend on all purchases, which is equivalent to 1% cash back.Redeem points for cash back in the form of statement credit.It’s nice to have rewards, but you’ll earn more with other cards. For example, the Citi® Double Cash Card offers 1% cash back on everything you buy and another 1% as you pay for your purchases.
- No over-the-credit-limit fee.
- Get a Debit Mastercard from Santander Bank.
- No over-the-credit-limit fee.
- Instant Card Hold. If you think you’ve lost your card, call Santander to place a temporary hold on it. This will block most transactions on your card.
Great alternatives to the Sphere® Credit CardUpdated July 22nd, 2018
How does a balance transfer work with this card?
What to watch out for
- Potentially high APR.
If you have a weaker credit history, you may be given an interest rate up to 24.24%.
That’s high, considering the average APR is around 16%.
- Penalty APR.
Santander may apply a penalty APR of 31.74% variable to your account if you miss a payment, pay late or make a payment that is returned.
The penalty APR applies until you make six consecutive on-time payments.
A penalty APR is never fun, and it increases the consequences of slipping up on payments. Don’t be afraid to compare other credit cards, as there are plenty of banks that don’t charge penalty APRs.
What to know before you apply
To apply for the Sphere® Credit Card, you must be at least 18 years old. The card is available only to customers in these states:
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New York
- Rhode Island
Information you’ll need
- Your full name and contact information.
- Your residential status.
- Your annual income, source of income and employment information.
- Your Social Security number.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of being approved for this card if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 300 to 850.
What’s a good credit score?
How to apply for the Sphere® Credit Card
1. Go to the Santander website and click? Apply Now.
2. Select your state from the dropdown menu and enter your ZIP code.
3. Complete the application with details like your name, address, annual income and Social Security number.
4. Review and submit your application.
How long will it take to be approved?
Typically, a credit card provider will make a decision on your application within 10 days. In some cases, your application may be approved immediately.
If there are issues with your application, you may need to wait up to a few weeks to hear back.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make timely payments. Pay your card bill online at the Santander website, where you can enroll in autopay.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of at least 21 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late and returned payments come with fees of up to $35. Balance transfers and cash advances also come with fees.
- Contact customer service. If you have questions, call Santander at 877-768-2265.
The Sphere® Credit Card offers a top-of-the-line 0% APR period. A few other products give you a comparable introductory interest rate, but the Sphere® Credit Card offers the uncommon perk of rewards. This sweetener gives the card a leg up on the competition.
Still not convinced this card is for you? Compare your options with our comprehensive guide to credit cards.
Frequently asked questions