Find the best way to send money to Trinidad and Tobago
Learn how to send money to Trinidad and Tobago from the US in our step-by-step guide.
Looking for the best way to send money from the United States to family, friends or businesses in Trinidad and Tobago (or even to your own overseas bank account)?
Don't head straight to your American bank – compare specialist money transfer services instead. They nearly always offer better TTD exchange rates and lower fees, so for the same amount of US dollars you send, your recipient will receive more Trinidad and Tobago dollars.
Of the companies we've compared, Remitly is among the cheapest, with competitive exchange rates and fees starting from $0. Need a really fast transfer? Remitly can get money to your recipient in Trinidad and Tobago within minutes.
Best ways to send money to Trinidad and Tobago from the USThe best way to send money to Trinidad and Tobago depends on your payment method, how you want your money to be received and how fast you need it to arrive.
- Online money transfer provider. When buying US dollars or Trinidad and Tobago dollars money transfer specialists typically offer better rates and cheaper fees than a local bank.
- Bank transfer. Bank transfers are an easy way to send money to Trinidad and Tobago but they charge extra for the convenience and are often slower than other methods. US banks generally add a 3% to 6% markup onto exchange rates.
- Cash pickup. If you need your money to arrive fast, cash pickup gives your recipient instant access to the money you've sent when they collect it from their agent location in Trinidad and Tobago.
- Mobile wallet. Essentially an electronic wallet service, mobile wallets allow users to store, send and receive eligible currencies using their phone, often with fees attached.
- Home delivery. If your recipient may struggle to get to a cash pickup location, you may be able to opt for door-to-door cash delivery.
Compare the best money transfer companies to send money to Trinidad and TobagoUse our table to compare the best money transfer companies to send money to Trinidad and Tobago. You can compare deposit and receiving options, fees and transfer speeds, then click the "Go to site" button when you've found the best one to get your money to Trinidad and Tobago.
Cheapest way to send money to Trinidad and Tobago
Bank transfers are typically the cheapest way to get your money to Trinidad and Tobago. Remitly and have some of the lowest bank transfer fees of the brands we've compared.
When you're hunting down the cheapest ways to send money to Trinidad and Tobago, it's more important to look at the overall cost of your transfer. This has a couple of elements:
- Transfer fees. While still cheaper than your American bank, some money transfer services charge either a fixed or percentage-based fee for making your transfer.
- Exchange rates. Another way money transfer providers make money is to add a margin to the mid-market USD/TTD exchange rate.
Some providers may charge the mid-market rate but add fees on top. Others may have very low fees but apply a markup on the exchange rate. This means it is important to compare exactly how many Trinidad and Tobago dollars your recipient will end up with.
Fastest way to send money to Trinidad and Tobago
Many online providers can offer transfers to Trinidad and Tobago within minutes, although you're likely to pay a premium for the convenience.Here are some of the fastest average transfer speeds to Trinidad and Tobago:
- Remitly — within minutes
Actual transfer times from the United States to Trinidad and Tobago can depend on several different factors including transfer amount, payment method and currency.
Safest way to send money to Trinidad and Tobago
The safest way to get your money to Trinidad and Tobago is to use a provider registered with the United States's industry regulator, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. All of the companies we've compared in our table are overseen by a local regulator and comply with the relevant laws and regulations in both the United States and Trinidad and Tobago.
A great way to dive deeper is by reading our extended reviews of each transfer service and researching first-hand customer feedback on Trustpilot and similar platforms.
Large money transfers to Trinidad and Tobago
If you need to make a sizable money transfer to Trinidad and Tobago, consider using a provider such as Xe to benefit from its expertise in handling larger transfer amounts.Using a large transfer specialist can have the following advantages:
- Tax guidance. Large transfers to Trinidad and Tobago may have tax implications for you or your recipient. A transfer specialist can help get you up to speed on IRS's latest advice.
- Foreign exchange (forex) tools. Advanced tools such as forward contracts, limit orders and stop-loss orders can help you lock in the TTD exchange rate you want.
- Account manager. Some money transfer providers assign a personal account manager who can help and advise you on your transfer needs.
- Phone service. If you want to talk your transfer through with someone, providers such as Remitly and Xe Money Transfer for Business can give you support over the phone.
How to send money to Trinidad and Tobago from the US
To send money to Trinidad and Tobago, you'll need the necessary documentation, your recipient's details and a way to pay.
- Compare your options.
Use our table to find a money transfer provider that sends funds to Trinidad and Tobago. One may be better for cash pickups while another may suit a bank transfer. Once you've found the best one for your requirements, click "Go to site".
- Create an account.
You'll need to give your name, address, contact details, proof of ID and method of payment.
- Provide your recipient's details.
Enter your recipient's name and contact information. If you're sending straight to their Trinidadian and Tobagonian bank account, you'll need the account number, SWIFT or IBAN plus their bank branch's address.
- Enter your transfer amount.
Check you're happy with the fees, exchange rates and transfer speed, then enter the amount you wish to send. Double-check the total Trinidad and Tobago dollars your recipient gets.
- Complete your transfer.
Send your money transfer to Trinidad and Tobago. Keep your transaction reference number safe so you can track your transfer. Your recipient may need it too.
How to choose the best money transfer companies to send money to Trinidad and Tobago
When choosing a money transfer provider to send money from the United States to Trinidad and Tobago, it's important to consider the cost, how you want your recipient to receive the funds and the turnaround time. Here are other features to review:
- Exchange rates. Banks and transfer services use the mid-market rate to trade with one another. It is the best rate you can get. However, not all money transfer providers offer you this mid-market rate so compare the TTD you're offered to the mid-market rate and look for the smallest difference.
- Transfer fees. Are you being charged a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer amount? For example, a provider offering to transfer your money to Trinidad and Tobago for a flat or low fee might work out better if you plan to send a large amount.
- Transfer type. Does your recipient have a Trinidadian and Tobagonian bank account or is cash or cell phone top-up a better option? Each transfer type will have different fees. For example, instant cash pickups tend to be more expensive than bank transfers.
- Transfer speed. If you need your transfer to arrive quickly, you can pay for an express delivery. Companies such as Remitly offer instant cash pickups but may charge more. If you're not in a rush, online money transfer services offer the best value and get your money to Trinidad and Tobago faster and cheaper than banks.
- Transfer limits. Find out how much you can send with each service. For example, Remitly allows transfers up to $2,999.
- Discounts. Some providers may offer you a free transfer simply for signing up. Others may offer a discount if you transfer more than a specific amount of Trinidad and Tobago dollars.