Revolut Junior card review
A free prepaid card for kids aged 12 to 17 — but you must have a Revolut personal account to be eligible.
The Revolut Junior card is a prepaid card for kids that comes with chore and allowance tracking, parental controls and budgeting tools to help your child learn to manage their money wisely. It’s free to use, but you must have a personal Revolut account to qualify.
Monthly maintenance fee
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and kids’ debit cards. She’s been featured on Legal Zoom, MSN, and Consolidated Credit and has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. When not writing, you can find her exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
The Revolut Junior card is best for kids ages 12 to 17 who are ready to develop good spending and saving habits. Parents can manage chores and allowances, set spending limits and get instant alerts through the mobile app. Kids can use it to track chores, create a budget and set savings goals.
Revolut is free, unlike most prepaid cards for kids. But you may still pay a monthly fee depending on the Revolut personal plan you choose. For example, the Standard plan is free, but only comes with one Junior account. The Premium plan comes with two Junior accounts but costs $9.99 a month. Lastly, the Metal plan costs $16.99 a month but comes with up to five kids’ accounts.
If you have more than one child, you may save more money by going with a card like Greenlight. It costs a flat $4.99 a month for up to five kids and has all the features of Revolut Junior and more.
How much does Revolut Junior cost?Revolut Junior is free, but you’ll pay a fee depending on your Revolut personal account. This table highlights how much each Revolut personal plan costs and the number of kids’ accounts included in each:
|Revolut personal account plan||Monthly cost||Number of Revolut Junior accounts included|
|Premium||$9.99||Up to two|
|Metal||$16.99||Up to five|
How do I get the Revolut Junior card?
Once you open your Revolut personal account, follow these steps to request your Revolut Junior card:
- Click Apply now.
- Launch the Revolut mobile app.
- Navigate to the Revolut Junior tab.
- Follow the steps to order your Revolut Junior card.
You must meet these requirements to open a Revolut Junior account:
- Active Revolut account
- Parent or legal guardian of a child between the ages of 12 and 17
You may have to give this information when requesting your Revolut Junior card:
- Kid’s full name and home address
- Kid’s date of birth and Social Security number
What you’ll like about the Revolut Junior card
The Revolut Junior card has these features:
- Tasks and goals. Together, parents and kids can manage chores, track allowances and set savings goals. The Junior app also has budgeting tools and spending analyzers to help your child manage their money.
- Parental controls. Adults receive instant spending alerts and can set controls for how their child shops online.
- Parents-paid bonuses. Award your child for a job well done by giving them a bonus when they complete specific tasks.
- Built-in safety. Revolut has made sure Junior cards can’t be used at most age-restricted merchants.
- Customizable designs. Your kid can choose their own card design from a range of colorful options.
What to watch out for
Despite Revolut Junior having quite a few perks, there are still a few drawbacks to consider:
- Children can’t load funds. The only way to add money is through the parent’s account. Kids can’t do it themselves — even if they’re old enough to have a job.
- No cash deposits. Unlike some prepaid cards, this one doesn’t support cash deposits.
- Not contactless. You can’t currently add the Revolut Junior card to a mobile wallet for contactless payments.
- Must have personal Revolut account. Parents and legal guardians must have a Revolut account before they can open a Revolut Junior account for their child, which could be a disadvantage if you’re not in the market for a digital bank account.
Is the Revolut Junior card safe?
Yes, the Revolut Junior card is safe. Revolut blocks merchants that aren’t age-appropriate, such as those registered as alcohol, cigarette and gambling companies. The card has an EMV chip in it to help keep your child’s data safe when they buy something and you can instantly freeze and unfreeze the card from the mobile app
Revolut Junior card reviews and complaints
Revolut has mixed reviews online. It has a 1 out of 5-star rating on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) based on one customer review and holds a B- BBB rating for responding to complaints — 19 complaints closed within the last year. On a brighter note, customers on Trustpilot are much happier with Revolut and give it a 4.3 out of 5-star Trustscore based on over 84,381 reviews.
Many customers rave about the Revolut Junior card for its ability to teach kids about earning money and budgeting. Parents comment that the app is easy to use, especially for creating tasks for children. The few complaints were mainly about delays in receiving the card.
Compare Revolut Junior with kids other debit cards
Use this table to compare Revolut Junior with other debit cards for kids by weighing account features and monthly and ATM fees.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
How do Revolut Junior‘s fees compare to the competition?
This table breaks down Revolut Junior‘s fees and limits and how they compare to the competition:
|Fee and Limit||Amount||How it compares to other kids’ cards|
|Monthly fee||Free||Revolut Junior is free, which is rare for a kids’ prepaid card. But you may pay a fee for the parent’s Revolut personal account.|
|ATM withdrawal||Free for first $60 in withdrawals a month, then 2% fee applies after that||Most kids’ cards don’t have an ATM withdrawal fee.|
|Cash reload fee||N/A||You can’t deposit cash onto your Revolut Junior card.|
|Maximum card balance||$4,000||This is average for most kids’ cards.|
|ATM withdrawal limit||$150 a day||This is average, but cards like FamZoo let your kid withdraw $510 a day.|
|Purchase limit||$600 and only 15 transactions a day||This limit is low compared to cards like Greenlight that let you spend at least $1,000 a day.|
How long will it take to get my card?
Your Revolut Junior card should arrive in the mail within 10 business days of opening the account.
I got the card. Now what?
Once you have the Revolut Junior card in hand, here’s how to make the most of it:
- Download the mobile app. You and your child will manage the card, monitor tasks and set savings goals through the Revolut Junior mobile app.
- Set up tasks and goals. Encourage your kid to create savings goals they can work toward as they earn allowances.
- Contact customer service with questions. Start a live chat in the mobile app if you have any questions about your new account. They’re available 24/7.
The only way to add money to the Revolut Junior card is through the parent or legal guardian’s Revolut account, which you can fund with a debit card or ACH transfer.
How can I contact Revolut?
Contact Revolut 24/7 by starting a live chat in the mobile app. Premium and Metal plan users get priority service.