Fly in style with United Airlines’ flagship credit card.
- Get this card if… you’re a hardcore United flyer.
- Pick something else if… you only fly United once in a while or you don’t fly with the carrier at all.
- Recommended good to excellent credit score of 680 or higher.
|Product Name||United MileagePlus® Club card|
|Balance Transfer Rate (not intro)||17.49% to 24.49% variable|
|APR for Purchases ( Purchase Rate )||17.49% to 24.49% variable|
|Cash Advance Rate||26.49% variable|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 21 days|
|Returned Payment Fee||$37|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (VISA)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|0% of transaction value|
|Minimum Credit Score||Fair (660-699)|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Returned Payment Fee||$37|
|Late Payment Fee||$37|
|Cash Advance Fee||$10 or 5% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater|
The United MileagePlus card might be worth getting even if you’re not a frequent United flyer. But the Club card is best recommended for United loyalists, especially given it’s fee of $450 p.a. a year.
Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United. And unlike other United cards, you’ll earn 1.5x miles on everything else you buy, instead of just 1x. You’ll also get two checked bags free for you and a companion on each flight. Add in complimentary Premier Access that gives you priority check-in, dedicated security screening and more, and you’ll really start liking your expanded privileges on United flights.
One of the biggest benefits you’ll receive is the card’s complimentary United Club membership. It’s a significant value that gives you access to the carrier’s airport lounges, which costs non-cardholders $59 a day or $550 a year.
You’ll also get a complimentary bump to Discoverist status in the World of Hyatt loyalty program. Benefits include free premium internet and room upgrades.
United MileagePlus® Club Card vs. Delta Reserve
The Delta Reserve Credit Card is Delta’s top-tier card, which will also set you back $450 a year. Similarly to the United MileagePlus Club card, it offers perks like priority boarding and complimentary access to its respective airport lounges. However, it ups the ante with a free annual round-trip companion certificate for a first-class or main cabin flight. This certificate can easily be worth a few hundred dollars a year.
To be fair, the United MileagePlus Club card has better hotel perks, like complimentary Discoverist status in World of Hyatt. It also offers more free checked bags — two versus one for the Delta Reserve.
In the end, it’s tough to pick a winner: It all comes down to what you value in an airline card. Of course, your decision is a no-brainer if you fly one airline much more than the other.
Chase United Airlines cards compared
|United MileagePlus Explorer||United MileagePlus Explorer Business||United MileagePlus® Club card|
|Annual fee||$95||$0 for the first year, then $95||$450 p.a.|
|Signup bonus||50,000 miles after you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months||$100 statement credit after your first purchase|
|Hotel benefits||Yes — room upgrades, complimentary breakfast, etc.||Yes — room upgrades, complimentary breakfast, etc.||Yes — room upgrades, complimentary breakfast, etc.|
|Hotel loyalty program upgrade||No||No||Discoverist tier in World of Hyatt|
|United Club membership||No — 2 United Club passes each year||No — 2 United Club passes each year||Yes|
- SIGNUP BONUS: Statement credit.
You’ll receive a $100 statement credit after you make your first purchase.
- MILES: More miles on United ticket purchases.
Earn 2x miles on tickets you purchase from United. Earn 1.5x miles on everything else you buy.
- Complimentary United Club membership.
You and your travel companions will receive complimentary entry to all United Club locations and select Star Alliance lounges. (A one-time pass costs $59.)
- Premier Access benefits.
The United MileagePlus Club card offers complimentary Premier Access. This includes priority boarding, exclusive airport check-in lines, dedicated security lines and priority baggage handling.
- United perks.
On each flight, you and one companion can each check two bags free. Enjoy no close-in fees when you use miles to book flights.
- Complimentary status upgrade in the World of Hyatt program.
You can receive a free upgrade to the Discoverist tier in the World of Hyatt program. Perks include complimentary premium internet, late checkout and room upgrades.
- Hotel benefits.
Enjoy room upgrades, complimentary breakfast and other amenities at select resorts around the world.
You’ll also like …
- Miles boost. Each year you spend $25,000 or more on your card, you’ll receive 10,000 miles.
- No foreign transaction fees. Use your United MileagePlus Club Ccrd internationally with no transaction fees.
- Travel and purchase coverage. Enjoy benefits like baggage delay insurance, lost luggage reimbursement, trip cancellation insurance, trip delay reimbursement and auto rental collision damage waiver. Also get purchase, return and price protection — on top of extended warranties — on your purchases.
- Chase Inside Access. You’ll have access to special events such as private culinary events and celebrity meet-and-greets.
- Access to Visa Concierge. Use the Visa Signature Concierge to make plans for dining and entertainment.
What to watch out for
- It hurts to pay late. Making late or returned payments could result in fees as high as $37.
Consider other cards if …
- You want cash back. Look for excellent cash back cards like Citi Double Cash and Blue Cash Preferred.
- You don’t fly on United. If you don’t fly United, consider another airline-branded card — or pick a general travel card like the Chase Sapphire Preferred or the Barclaycard Arrival Plus.
Compare other Chase credit cards
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the United MileagePlus Club card, you must be at least 18 years old (or 19 in Alabama and Nebraska).
Always consider your options and your financial situation before you apply for a credit card.
Information you’ll need
- Full name
- Address and residential status
- Annual income, source of income and employment information
- Contact information
- Social Security number and mother’s maiden name
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of being approved for the United MileagePlus Club card if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 680 or higher.
How to apply for the United MileagePlus Club card
1. Go to the Chase website and click Apply Now.
2. Complete the application with information like your name, address, annual income and Social Security number. Then review your application and submit it.
How long will it take to be approved?
Because conditional approval is automated on the Chase website, you’ll often get a decision immediately. In some cases, you’ll need to wait a few days to a few weeks to receive a response.
I got the card. Now what?
- Making payments. You can pay your card bill online at the Chase website. You can also enroll in auto pay.
- Avoiding interest payments. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 21 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoiding fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $37.00. Balance transfers and cash advances also come with fees.
- Customer service. If you have questions, you can contact Chase support at 1-800-432-3117, log in to your account to send a secure email or find support on Twitter @ChaseSupport.
The MileagePlus Club card is for frequent United flyers, offering perks to help you fly in style.