AeroMexico Visa® Secured Card review
Please note: This card has been discontinued, and it is not available on our site.
It’s hard to rebuild your credit when you’ve had a rocky financial history. If you’re ready to improve your financial health, a secured card could be a step in the right direction.
How to apply for AeroMexico Visa® Secured Card
Before you can apply for an AeroMexico Visa® Secured Card, you’ll need to open a U.S. Bank checking or savings account with at least $300.
To be approved for an AeroMexico Visa® Secured Card, you must be at least 18 years old, a US citizen or permanent resident and be able to provide a valid Social Security number or tax ID number. You’ll also need to provide:
- Your employment status.
- Your monthly income.
- Your monthly housing expense.
- Go to the AeroMexico Visa® Secured Card on the U.S Bank website and click Apply Now.
- Provide your personal contact, housing, income and employment information. Indicate whether you need additional cards.
- Finally, choose your deposit amount and decide how you will send the money, either by money order or cashier’s check. Supply your tax ID number, if applicable, and review and accept the card’s terms and conditions.
If you’re approved, you’ll be sent your secured card with a credit line that reflects your deposit. Your deposit will be used to open a U.S. Bank Secured Savings Account, which will earn interest over time and won’t be touched as long as your account is not in arrears.
Unlike debit or prepaid cards, the AeroMexico Visa® Secured Card comes with a rewards program and reports to the three major credit bureaus, helping you to rebuild your credit.
- Rewards program. Earn 2x miles for purchases on gas, groceries, AeroMexico airfare and vacation packages, and 1x miles on everyday spending.
- Graduate to an unsecured card. After 12 months of on-time payments, you may qualify for an unsecured credit card.
- Signup bonus. Get 3,500 bonus miles after you use the card for the first time plus a free round-trip companion ticket for travel from the US to Mexico.
- Travel bonuses. You won’t pay anything to check your bags. And after a year of use, you’re eligible for a $99 companion ticket on an AeroMexico flight. You’ll also enjoy car rental insurance and travel insurance.
What to watch out for
By using your AeroMexico Visa® Secured Card responsibly, you can build your credit to meet your financial goals. But before you apply, consider the drawbacks below.
- Plenty of fees. You’ll pay extra for cash advances, additional cards, foreign transactions and late payments.
- Required security deposit. Requires a minimum of $300, which then becomes your line of credit.
- No intro APR. Once approved, a high 25.24% variable applies to your purchases.
I got the card. Now what?
You’re on your way to rebuilding your overall credit history and financial health. Just keep in mind a few tips to successfully manage your spending.
- Manage your account online. Set up an online account to monitor your spending.
- Avoid unnecessary interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 24 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Returned payments come with fees of $35, so consider signing up for autopay for payments ahead of your due date.
- Customer service. For support, call 866-749-2136 or log in to your online account to send a secure email.
If you frequently fly with AeroMexico, this secured card could help you build or rebuild your credit while earning valuable miles toward future travel.
Common questions about AeroMexico Visa® Secured Card
Megan Horner is the credit cards publisher at Finder. She's passionate about helping you find the best credit cards to meet your financial needs — whether that's earning great rewards or improving your credit score. Megan's expertise has been spotlighted on Lifehacker, CreditCards.com, American Banker and featured on news broadcasts across the country.
The AeroMexico Visa® Secured Card is a secured card that reports to all three major credit bureaus, helping you to build your credit with on-time payments and responsible spending.
This Visa comes with no annual fee for the first year and 3,500 bonus miles after your first swipe. Because this is a secured card, you are required to put down a minimum deposit of $300, which then becomes your line of credit.