RCI Elite Rewards® Mastercard®
A no-frills card for time-share travelers.
- Get this card if you stay at RCI timeshare properties often.
- Pick something else if you want a general travel rewards card.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 580 or higher.
Up to 5x
14.99%, 19.99% or 24.99%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Welcome Offer||2,500 points after your first purchase|
|Rewards||5x points RCI purchases and 1x points on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||14.99%, 19.99% or 24.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first fifteen billing cycles (then 14.99%, 19.99% or 24.99% variable)|
|Recommended minimum credit score||580|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards and investments writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The RCI Elite Rewards® Mastercard® is a straightforward no-frills credit card, aimed at those who often stay at RCI timeshare properties.
One of its perks is an easy-to-obtain, yet small signup bonus worth between $20 and $31 depending on what you redeem your rewards for. You’ll earn double the rewards for RCI purchases, worth between 0.7 and 0.8 cents each — though the industry average is 1 cent.
What is RCI?
RCI is a timeshare exchange network that allows timeshare owners to exchange or rent their timeshare vacation destinations. RCI has more than 4,300 affiliated resorts across 110 countries.
How to apply for the RCI Elite Rewards® Mastercard®
- Go to the Barclays website and select the RCI Elite Rewards® Mastercard® from the list of cards, then click Apply now.
- Complete the application form with the required data.
- Review your application and submit it.
How long will it take to get my RCI Elite Rewards® Mastercard®?
Barclays can make an immediate decision on your application. But sometimes it may take a few business days to a few weeks if additional information is needed.
Once approved, you’ll have your card within seven to 10 business days. If you want to get your card sooner, Barclays has an expedited shipping option you can choose for a $15 fee.
- Signup bonus.
After you make your first purchase, you’ll earn 2,500 bonus rewards that equals about $31. It may not seem like much, but it’s easy to get.
- Earn rewards.
Earn 5x rewards per dollar spent for eligible RCI purchases. Earn 1x rewards on all other purchases. Redeem rewards for travel, gift cards, merchandise, event tickets and more.
- No annual fee.
You get the card’s benefits without paying an annual fee.
What can I get with my RCI rewards?
You can redeem RCI rewards for:
- Travel. Flights, car rentals, hotels and more.
- RCI Resort Dollars cards. Expenses at RCI properties.
- RCI Member Rewards credits. Fees and your RCI membership renewal.
What is the value of RCI rewards?
Here are a few items you can get with your rewards, along with the corresponding value.
- Amazon Echo Dot worth $49 for 12,825 rewards — value 0.3 cents.
- Sears $25 gift card for 3,500 rewards — value 0.7 cents.
- $250 RCI Rewards dollars for 31,000 — value 0.8 cents.
- $100 RCI Member Rewards for 10,000 rewards — value 1 cent.
RCI occasionally runs reward discounts, letting you buy Member Rewards at a lower cost. For example, you could buy $400 Member Rewards for 20,000 rewards, giving your rewards a value of 2 cents apiece. If you’re not in a hurry to redeem your rewards, it may be best to wait for a discount.
You’ll also like …
- Intro APR period on balance transfers.
Get 0% intro APR for the fifteen billing cycles on balance transfers when you post your transfers within 45 days of card membership. After that, a variable APR of 14.99%, 19.99% or 24.99% will apply.
- Concierge service.
Call Mastercard for assistance with dining, travel and entertainment reservations.
- Fraud liability protection.
You’re not responsible for unauthorized charges you report to Mastercard.
Compare similar travel credit cards
What to watch out for
- Potentially high APR.
Depending on your credit, you can get a purchase and balance transfer APR of 14.99%, 19.99% or 24.99% variable. This is one of the highest APRs when compared to other cards.
Late and returned payments have a fee of up to $37. And for each transfer you make, you’ll pay either $5 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater. However, the card won’t stick you with a penalty APR.
- Foreign transaction fees.
If you’re often traveling abroad, try to refrain from using this card to avoid the foreign transaction fee of 3% of the transaction. This may not seem like much, but it can add up quickly over a trip spanning several days.
How does a balance transfer work with this card?
Enjoy the 0% intro APR period for fifteen billing cycles following your account opening if your balance transfers post within 45 days of card membership. After that, the rate reverts to a variable 14.99%, 19.99% or 24.99%.
For each balance transfer you make, you’ll pay a fee of either $5 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater. That’s $30 fee for a $1,000 balance transfer.
If it happens that your requested transfer amount exceeds your credit limit, Barclays may either decline or accept a partial amount. However, no matter the size of your balance transfer, Barclays won’t accept it if it comes from another Barclays account.
You can cancel all balance transfers within 10 days from the day your credit card was approved by calling the number on the back of your card.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply, you must be at least 18 years old and a US resident. Residents of Puerto Rico and US territories are not eligible.
You’ll need to provide the following information:
- Full name and contact information
- Residential status
- Annual income and employment information
- Social Security number, date of birth and mother’s maiden name
What credit score do I need?
To increase your chances of approval and get a higher credit line and a low APR, apply with a good to excellent credit score of 580 or higher.
Also know that Barclays usually pulls your credit report from TransUnion.
I got the card. Now what?
- Download the Barclays and RCI® mobile apps. And set up automatic payments and alerts, or search and manage your vacations.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 23 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Customer service. Call Barclays customer service at 866-928-8598.
If you often stay at RCI vacation properties, the RCI Elite Rewards® Mastercard® is worth a serious look. You’ll regularly earn rewards on your spending, and you can scoop up cheap Member Rewards.
However, if you stay at RCI timeshares only occasionally, you may be better off with a card that offers larger and more consistent rewards. Check out other travel rewards cards and find the one that works best for your spending habits.
Frequently asked questions
- Does this card have a signup bonus?
Yes, once you make your first purchase, get 2,500 bonus rewards.
- If I qualify for the signup bonus, when will I receive my rewards?
Your rewards will post to your account within 60 days of your first purchase.
- Do rewards expire?
Yes. Your rewards will expire four years after the end of the calendar quarter you earned them.
- What is a timeshare?
Timeshare, also known as vacation ownership, is a property with multiple owners. Mostly, they are resort condominium units where each owner is allotted a certain period of use, which can be rented or exchanged with other timeshare owners.
- Are RCI Points® and RCI Elite Rewards® the same thing?
No. RCI Points and RCI Rewards are two separate programs. With the RCI Mastercard you earn RCI Rewards, not RCI Points.
- Does this card have an annual fee?
No, the card has no annual fee.