Green Dot primor® Visa® Classic Secured Credit Card review
A decent secured card that reports to all three major credit bureaus.
- Get this card if you want a secured card to help you build your credit.
- Pick something else if you don’t want to pay an annual fee or you want an unsecured card.
- Apply with no credit history or with a poor credit score.
Discontinued productThis card has been discontinued, and it is not available on our site. Compare other credit cards or take Finder's credit card quiz to find one that fits your needs.
How to apply for the Green Dot primor® Visa® Classic Secured Credit Card
- Go to the provider's site and click Apply now.
- Enter your personal information.
- Review and submit the application.
How long will it take to get my Green Dot primor® Visa® Classic Secured Credit Card?
It usually takes less than a minute to get a decision, but it may take longer in some cases.
Once approved, you’ll have your card within 7 to 10 business days.
- Build your credit. The card reports to all three major credit bureaus — TransUnion, Experian and Equifax. Responsible use and on-time payments can help you build your credit, and eventually get a better card.
- Easy application. Your application only takes minutes to fill out, and won’t come with any application fees or a credit check.
- No minimum credit score. You can apply with no credit history or a poor credit score.
- Fixed APR. You get a fixed APR of 13.99%. This is relatively low considering the average APR for most cards is 16%. Some cards even have APRs of up to 26% variable.
- Credit limit. Your deposit in a Green Dot savings account will determine your credit line. You can deposit from $200 up to $5,000, but you can’t use this sum to pay your balance.
- FDIC insured. The money you deposit at Green Dot is FDIC-insured.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. The card comes with an annual fee of $39. If you want to get an additional card, you’ll have to pay another $29.
- Foreign transaction fee. Each purchase made outside of the US will cost you 3% of the transaction. This means, if you spend $1,000 when traveling abroad, you’ll pay $30, which is almost equal to your annual fee.
- Cash advance limit. If you’re making cash advances, you can only use half of your credit line. For example, for a $400 credit line you can only use $200 for cash advances.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply, you need to be at least 18 years old, 19 in Alabama and Nebraska and 21 in Mississippi. You must also have no more than one open credit card with Green Dot Bank.
You’ll also need to provide information, such as:
- Your name and contact information.
- Your Social Security number and date of birth.
- Your monthly income and expenses.
- The amount you want to deposit.
Green Dot primor® Visa® Classic Secured Credit Card reviews and complaints
Some customers claim that it takes up to 10 days for their payments to process, which hurts their credit-building efforts. Others claim that by using the Green Dot Credit website, their payments were processed way faster — in two days or less. Customers also complain about Green Dot’s customer support.
I got the card. Now what?
- Download the Green Dot app on your mobile device. With the app, you can pay your bills, send money, set up alerts and more.
- Pay on time. Late payments come with a fee of up to $29. You’ll also find it hard to build your credit.
- Customer support. Call Green Dot customer support at 1-866-795-7597 for any issues or questions you may have.
Compare secured cards
The Green Dot primor® Visa® Classic Secured Credit Card could be a decent choice for those looking to build their credit. With its additional fees and so many other stronger secured card options available, however, the Green Dot primor® Visa® Classic Secured Credit Card doesn’t quite offer enough to make it a must pick.
Frequently asked questions
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The Green Dot primor® Visa® Classic Secured Credit Card has a $39 annual fee but a relatively low purchase APR of 13.99% fixed. Like many other secured cards, it doesn’t offer rewards.
This product may be a serviceable — though not the best — option if you’ve had trouble getting approved for a credit card. With a monthly income of at least $100 higher than your monthly expenses, you have a good chance of being approved — even with poor or no credit. Furthermore, your card activity will be reported to all three major credit bureaus. With responsible use and on-time payments, you can build a positive credit history.
Take care to read the card’s fine print before you apply. You’ll find a number of fees, including a credit limit increase fee, an automated account information fee and a card replacement fee. With so many fees, you may want to consider other credit-building card options instead.