This account offers an impressive 2.35% APY — but only if you live in an eligible state.
finder.com’s rating: 4.7 / 5.0
Pittsburgh-based PNC Bank has a variety of savings products to choose from, including savings accounts, money market accounts, CDs and IRAs.
Its high-yield savings account offers high interest, free incoming wire transfers, and no monthly fees. But account availability, monthly transfers, and customer support are limited.
|Minimum deposit to open||$0|
|New account fee||$0|
|Minimum balance to earn interest||$1|
|Monthly transaction limit||6|
What are the benefits of a savings account with PNC?
- In addition to free account statements and incoming wire transfers, you’ll also get the following perks:
- High APY. The PNC High Yield Savings account offers a lofty 2.35% APY on all balances over $1 — among the highest on the market.
- No minimum deposit. Open a savings account with PNC without an initial deposit, but expect to fund it within 60 days or you’ll face account closure.
- No monthly fees. The high-yield savings account doesn’t come with any monthly fees, so your savings are free to grow.
What should I look out for?
- Limited availability. The PNC High Yield Savings account is only available in states without a PNC bank branch.
- Limited transfers. Like many other online savings accounts, the PNC high-yield account is limited to six withdrawals and deposits monthly. Exceeding this limit may result in your savings account being replaced with a PNC checking account.
- Limited support. Since this account is only available in states without a PNC bank branch, customer support for this account is limited to email and phone correspondence.
The PNC high-yield savings account is only offered in states without a PNC branch. Enter your ZIP code into PNC’s website to find out if your state is eligible.
States without a PNC branch include:
- New Hampshire
- New Mexico
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Dakota
Compare with other savings accounts
How do I open an account?
- First, go to PNC Bank’s website to verify that this account is available in your state by entering your ZIP code. If it is, click Apply Online.
- Enter your full name, date of birth, email address, home address, employment information and Social Security number. Click Continue.
- Enter the bank account and routing number of the external account you’d like to use to fund your account. Alternatively, you can use a credit card or debit card to fund your account.
- You can also choose to skip this step if you’d prefer to fund your account with a mobile check deposit after enrolling in PNC online banking. Make sure to fund your account within 60 days to avoid account closure.
- Be a US citizen
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a US residential address in an eligible state
- Have a Social Security number
- Primary home address
- Valid email address
- Valid phone number
- Social Security number
- Driver’s license or valid state ID
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
Access the funds within your PNC High Yield Savings account in two ways:
- Online deposit. Transfer funds electronically between your PNC savings account and an externally linked account.
- Mobile check deposit. Using the PNC mobile banking app for Android and iOS, deposit a check into your account using your mobile device.
How can I get in touch with customer service?
Customer support for the high-interest savings account is available in three ways:
- Phone. Call 888-762-2265 on weekdays from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. or Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET.
- Email. From your online account on PNC’s website, fill out a secure online form for an email reply from customer service.
- Social media. Reach out with a question on PNC’s Twitter account for a response from the customer support team.
The PNC High Yield Savings account offers an impressive 2.35% APY, no monthly fees and free incoming wire transfers. However, the account is only available in states without a PNC Bank branch.
Check out your options with other providers before you apply to make sure you get the account that’s right for your personal banking needs.
Frequently asked questions
Savings account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top savings accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: interest rates, monthly fees, minimum deposits, customer service and account features.