Founded in 1971, Paychex is a popular payroll industry, claiming to hundreds of thousands of payroll clients in more than 100 locations.
Access Paychex tools anytime through the web and an app to pay employees and consistant contractors easily. Payments options include direct deposit, paper checks and prepaid debit cards. It even provides reporting options, 401(k) and retirement services and insurance options.
Pros and cons of Paychex
- Easy web and mobile access. With a single sign-in for easy management.
- Quality reporting capabilities. Import or export information from other services.
- Safe, secure services. Paychex protects your and your employees’ info.
- Higher costs. The $60 monthly fee for its cheapest plan is pricier than what you’d pay with Gusto at $25 monthly, or Patriot at $15 monthly.
- No one-time payments. Paychex is for regular payroll needs.
- Customer service is hit or miss. Some users have experienced difficulty getting a sales rep to call them back.
Paychex reviews and complaints
Paychex has an A+ rating with the BBB, but as of October 2020 it has an average of 2 out of 5 stars from customers on the site. Many of the negative reviews come from customers with benefits managed by Paychex, like 401(k), FSA and HSA accounts.
Most of the positive reviews name specific dedicated account specialists who offer great customer service, which suggests that it may be worth paying for an upgraded plan that offers dedicated support.
What I thought of Paychex’s customer service
I called Paychex to ask if there was a cancellation fee associated with its service. I found the phone number for the sales team by clicking the Contact tab at the top of the page. Here are the highlights of the call:
- Did I get an answer? Yes, the rep I spoke to confirmed that Paychex doesn’t charge cancellation fees.
- How long did it take? The call lasted 42 seconds.
- Was there an automated system? No, but there was a 10 second recorded message for Paychex members. After the message was over, I was connected with a live representative.
Go to site
What is Paychex Pay-on-Demand?
Pay-on-Demand is one of the additional payment options, along with paper checks and prepaid debit cards, included with the Flex Select and Flex Pro plans. It allows employees to access up to $500 of their paycheck before payday, though they may need to pay up to $5 in fees per pay period to use it.
Paychex is a payroll service that makes paying employees easier. Business owners register and pay for the service using its software before paying employees.Paychex payment services include:
- Direct deposit. Deposits payroll funds directly to your bank account to access your money on payday.
- Paper checks. Employer’s signature is laser-encoded on checks and inserted into envelopes. This saves time and costs between $2.87 to $3.15 a payment.
- Debit card. Employees that want the convenience of direct deposit but don’t have a bank account, it’s Skylight option deposits payday money onto a debit card.
Once a payment is made, you and your employee receive an email or notification on the mobile app. There is a 15-minute holding period before the scheduled funds are moved to the employee’s account.
In addition to standard payroll processing, here’s what Paychex brings to the table:
- Employee benefits. Offer 401(K) retirement plans, group health insurance, life insurance, or Section 125 plans such as Health Savings Accounts or Flexible Spending Accounts.
- Business insurance and workers compensation. Paychex can provide you with workers comp or business insurance, including payment and reports submittal.
- Payment processing. Accept more types of payment including debit, credit, ACH Payment and eChecks. Get the option of next-day funding and only pay for monthly billing, verses daily billing with some competitors.
- HR services. Stay on top of mandatory compliance for workers comp, unemployment insurance, and Cobra coverage. Make an easy online employee handbook and even recruit, track and screen new employees.
- Integrations. Paychex integrates with dozens of business software, including Oracle, Sage and Shoptech, along with insurance providers such as Aetna, TIAA and more. It also integrates with financial providers like PNC, Charles Schwab and Chase.
- Business loans. The Paychex Small Business Loan Center can connect you with funding through its partnership with Biz2Credit, featuring 24-hour pre-qualification.
- Tax services. Payroll tax administration and tax credit services are included in all Paychex plans. This can help you calculate and make timely tax payments, and take advantage of tax credit incentives that your business is eligible for.
- Incorporation services. Startups and first-time business owners can use Paychex to apply for an employer tax ID, register for a business license, obtain essential internal documents and more.
- Online marketing services. Paychex Digital Marketing Services can manage your company’s listings on Google, Facebook, Yelp and other popular business directories, solicit feedback from customers and publish location-optimized ads across the web.
Go to site
Paychex is a reliable and fully capable payment processing provider, with over 45 years in the biz and a wide range of extra features that you can take advantage of, if you can foot the bill. But if the monthly fee is too pricey, you may want to compare other payroll processors to find the best match.
How long is a contract with Paychex?
There are no contracts with Paychex. Use Paychex monthly, and cancel at any time.
What are the reviews for Paychex mobile app?
The Paychex app has a 4.4 out of 5 rating on the Apple Store, compiled from over 184,739 reviews. Likewise, it also has a 4.5 out of 5 rating on Google Play, compiled from over 15,280 reviews. In general, users praise it for being user-friendly, and a convenient way to view and manage direct deposits.