OppFi Card review
A straightforward credit-building card with a huge APR.
- Get this card if you need to build credit but don’t want a secured credit card.
- Pick something else if you want a credit-building card without an annual fee.
- Apply with a poor credit score of 300 or higher.
Minimum Credit Score
Steven Dashiell is a writer at Finder specializing in all things credit cards. With more than 300 articles under his belt, he aims to help readers embrace credit cards and maximize their rewards. Steve is studying to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance, and is a frequent face on Finder’s YouTube channel, offering the latest in credit card hacks and advice. His expertise has been featured on numerous outlets, including U.S. News & World Report, Time, CBS, Fox Business, Lifehacker, Martha Stewart Living and more.
The OppFi Card is a credit-building card from OppFi marketed at those who don’t want to pay a security deposit. It’s rather barebones as far as features: you’ll pay an annual fee of $99, receive a starting credit line of $1,000 and you won’t receive a hard pull on your credit when you apply. However, the card has a very large APR of 35.99% variable, which is worrying.
The card’s APR is just about as high as you can get on a credit card. Even the most niche or egregious store credit cards on the market top out around 29%. As you might imagine, carrying a balance on this card will cost you a lot of extra cash. Even letting a single month float can result in massive interest charges, and they can snowball quickly if you’re not careful, putting you in a worse financial situation. The $99 annual fee doesn’t help either.
If used responsibly – that is you make your payments on time each month and pay your balance in full – this is a perfectly acceptable card for building your credit. But there are plenty of other credit-building cards on the market that either don’t charge an annual fee or carry much less risk overall.
How to apply for the OppFi Card
The OppFi Card isn’t yet available, though you can join the waitlist.
- Go to the provider's site and select Apply now.
- Select Join the waitlist.
- Fill out your name and email address and select Get updates.
- Wait to receive an email when more information is available.
OppFi Card benefits
- Build credit. OppFi will report your credit use to credit bureaus, though it’s unknown whether all three major credit bureaus will receive this report.
- Large starting credit limit. You’ll receive a $1,000 starting credit limit upon approval. This is higher than what you’d find on many secured credit cards.
- Immediate access. Once approved, you can start using your card right away through the card’s mobile app.
OppFi Card drawbacks
- Huge APR. This card’s APR is one of the highest you’ll find on the market at 35.99% variable. Carrying a balance on this card is a very bad idea.
- Annual fee. While the card doesn’t require a security deposit, you’ll still need to pay $99 annually to use the card.
Compare low credit cards
Explore your options by minimum deposit required, purchase APR, annual fee and minimum credit score. Select the Apply now button to start an application for a particular product.
While the OppFi Card can serve as a decent credit-building option in a pinch, the annual fee and high APR make it a potentially dangerous choice if you’re not confident in your financial management. There are other stronger, safer credit-building cards on the market to consider first.