Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
2degrees mobile plans
Thanks to carryover data and minute plans, what you pay for doesn’t go to waste when you join 2degrees.
Is 2degrees right for me?
- What does 2degrees offer?: Flexible pay monthly and prepay plans with a range of add-ons.
- The highlights: Carryover data; Kiwi Hero discounts; Data Clock; data sharing; free hot-spotting.
- Watch out for: Fair Use policies for unlimited data and minutes; daily roaming rates apply in most cases.
First launching in 2009, 2degrees aimed to provide Kiwis with a fairer deal and cheaper calls than they received from existing telecommunication companies. Fast forward to over 10 years later, this provider has built its own national mobile network and also offers fixed broadband and business services.
So far 2degrees has invested over $964 million in its mobile network and infrastructure to provide coverage to 98.5% of New Zealanders. 4G is now live and available to 96% of New Zealanders, and the network is continuously being improved to extend its service and capability.
Read on to find out more about 2degree mobile phone plans and if this provider is right for you.
Types of plans offered by 2degrees
2degrees offers both pay monthly and prepay plans for different budgets and data needs.
2degrees pay monthly plans allow you to enjoy the benefits of a contract but with the flexibility to cancel at any time. Rather than topping up your phone yourself, your monthly bill is automatically deducted, saving you the hassle.
To be eligible for a pay monthly account, you need to be 18 years or over, have a New Zealand driver’s licence or accepted form of identification and be able to pass a credit check. You can also purchase a new phone with interest-free payments but you need to commit to a longer-term contract to do so.
Some of 2degrees pay monthly plans can be utilised by up to four people, with the allocation of data, minutes and texts pooled together for everyone to use. Each person pays the same amount each month and it works out cheaper than an individual plan.
All plans include carryover data, which means that if you don’t use all your allowance in the billing period, it rolls over to the next month. Data and minutes can keep rolling over for up to 12 months.
If you’re on any plan other than the unlimited plan, you can share your data with up to five friends and family who are also 2degrees customers.
All plans allow for data hot-spotting, even the unlimited plan, which is often something that other providers charge for.
Kiwi Hero discounts
If you are a nurse, first responder, teacher or work in the Defence Force, 2degrees has specially discounted pay monthly plans. Plans come with unlimited minutes and texts and you can opt for 4GB with carryover data or 12GB and 40GB with capped data at max speed, then endless data at reduced speeds. Depending on the plan you choose, you can save between $6 and $12 each month.
If you don’t qualify for a pay monthly plan or just want greater flexibility, 2degrees has both 14-day and monthly prepay plans. Each plan comes with voicemail and carryover data, and you can easily switch between plans based on your estimated usage for the weeks or month ahead. Your plan keeps renewing as long as you have credit on your account, but you can stop this at any time. All plans also include unlimited texts to NZ and Aussie, free calls to any New Zealand landline or mobile and data hot-spotting.
2degrees add-ons and rewards
Whether you need extra minutes, more data or are heading overseas, 2degrees has got you covered with a range of add-ons.
- Data Clock: Data Clock is an app (separate to the 2degrees app) that allows you to purchase bursts of unlimited data at any time of day. Plus, everyone that downloads the app now receives a free hour of data each day, if you have an eligible prepay plan or the latest monthly plan. The app is useful if you need to spend a lot of time online and don’t want to eat into your normal data allowance, or if you don’t have enough credit to buy a plan but need to get online to order Uber Eats. There are seven options to choose from, ranging from 15 minutes through to 24 hours. 15 minutes cost you 40c, 1 hour is $1, 4 hours is $2 and 12 hours costs $4.
- Data packs: 2degrees has data only packs that are valid for one month. 500MB costs you $10, 1GB is $20, and 3GB is $50. Prepay customers also have access to a 12GB pack for $99, which auto renews when you have 30MB of data or less.
- Minute packs: If you’re on prepay, you can purchase 300 international minutes to landlines and selected mobiles in over 20 countries for $10, or unlimited call to NZ landlines for $12. Pay monthly customers can also purchase the international minute pack, and also an extra 60 NZ/Aussie minutes for $8 or 200 minutes for $19.
- Roaming Data Add-on: Whether you are on prepay or pay monthly plan, if you head overseas, you may be able to purchase a 500MB data roaming add-on. However, if you are traveling to a Daily Roaming destination, you’ll have to pay a daily rate to use your 2degrees plan for roaming.
- Wi-Fi Calling: If you’ve got bad reception when trying to make a call, 2degrees lets you use Wi-Fi instead. It is the only network in New Zealand that currently offers this.
- Carryover data and minutes: Unused data and minutes keep rolling over each month for up to one year.
- Unlimited 2degrees calls: If you’re on a plan that doesn’t have unlimited minutes, you still get unlimited minutes to use for friends and family that are also with 2degrees in New Zealand and Australia.
- Hotspotting: 2degrees allows for hotspotting on all plans, even when you have unlimited data.
- Share data: Share data with your mates by accessing the Sharing Controls function in the 2degrees app. You can choose to have open sharing so it’s first come first served, give a monthly allowance to each person, or share a one-off amount of data.
- No contracts. Have the flexibility to cancel or change your plan whenever your situation changes.
- Mobile app. Manage your account through the 2degrees mobile app. You can check your balance, monitor your data usage, top up your account, purchase add-ons and much more.
What to be aware of
- If you don’t have enough credit on the renewal date of your plan, any carryover minutes or data are put on hold until you top up and renew your plan.
- Interest-free payment plans are a good way to spread the cost of your new phone but do be aware that you need to pass a credit check and commit to either a $40 or $55 pay monthly plan.
- 2degrees has a Fair Use Policy for plans with unlimited data. When you reach 40GB, you won’t be cut off, but your speed is reduced to just 1Mbps. This policy also applies to Data Clock.
- Unlimited call plans are also subject to a Fair Use policy. While it is not clear exactly what is classed as fair use, 2degrees states that usage is considered excessive when it exceeds average use patterns over a day, week or month.
- If you use all your minutes or data on a prepay plan and you don’t purchase an add-on, you are charged prepay rates of 49c per minute and 50c per MB.
- Standard roaming rates can be as expensive as $7.39 per minute if you are using your phone in countries like Mexico, UAE, Egypt or Brazil. As there is no roaming pack that covers these regions, you should consider getting a local or international SIM for your stay.
With a range of affordable plans and useful add-ons, 2degrees has a lot to offer and is worth considering for your mobile phone plan if you are looking for fair pricing and flexibility, but make sure to compare your options to check you are getting the right deal for your needs and budget.
More guides on Finder
Finder Broadband Awards 2021
Find out which broadband providers Kiwis are most likely to recommend in the inaugural Finder Broadband Awards.
Migrant banking: Opening a bank account in Australia
Having an Australian bank account is crucial in order to access and manage your funds in your new home country.
11 ideas for romantic getaways in Tasmania that will sweep you off your feet
From glass cabins that overlook forests to luxurious seaside escapes, these Tasmanian getaways offer the perfect romantic adventure.
Credit cards vs buy now pay later
Both buy now pay later plans and credit cards give you ways to pay off purchases over time – here’s how they compare.
How Kiwis can become $15,000 richer in 2021
Kiwis can boost their annual earnings by thousands of dollars by making use of their assets, time or skills, according to new research by Finder, a financial research and comparison site in New Zealand.
8 ways to pocket $15,000 in 2021
Want to make more money in 2021? From a new side hustle to shopping around for the best deal, we show you how you can make up to $15,000.
Online course platforms
Learn about some of the top online course platforms that make it easy to create, deliver and sell your lessons.
InMotion discount code November 2021
InMotion offers 5 types of web hosting, so you can scale up easily when your site expands. Save with our promos.
Outgrow discount code November 2021
Outgrow can help your website convert with easy-to-create quizzes, calculators and more. No code required. Save with our promos.
Mint Finance business loans
Need to purchase equipment, manage cashflow or expand your business? Borrow up to $2,000,000 with a loan from Mint Finance.