Flight Centre Mastercard
Earn Flight Centre Rewards and take advantage of long term finance deals for big-ticket purchases and your dream holiday.
What is Flight Centre Mastercard?
Flight Centre Mastercard serves as both a regular credit card and a long term finance card for bigger purchases at a variety of participating retailers.
You can earn Flight Centre Rewards when you use your card both at home and overseas, and redeem these on flights, cruises, rental cars and holiday packages at Flight Centre.
There are no international transaction fees and you can manage your card with a handy app for Android and iOS.
Lending criteria, fees, and Ts&Cs apply. The standard interest rate of 22.95% p.a. applies after the interest-free period.
|Product Name||Flight Centre Mastercard|
|Standard Interest Rate (p.a.)||22.95%|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 44 days on purchases|
|Minimum Monthly Payment||3% of transaction value or $10, whichever is greater|
|Late Payment Fee||$15|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||No|
|Available To Temporary Residents||No|
Benefits and features of Flight Centre Mastercard
- Globally accepted. Flight Centre Mastercard is accepted around the world wherever you see the Mastercard logo.
- Flight Centre Rewards. Earn Flight Centre Rewards on purchases including fuel top-ups, shopping and dining out. $100 = 1 Flight Centre Reward with double rewards when you use your card at Flight Centre (either in-store or online). You can redeem your rewards on travel bookings and deals at Flight Centre with any airline, hotel or tour package. Reward credit is valid for three years and is automatically deducted when you use your card at Flight Centre.
- No international transaction fees. No fees when you use your card for purchases overseas. With other credit cards, you typically incur international transaction fees of between 1.8-4.5% of the purchase value. Fees differ from bank to bank and are made up of a foreign currency margin for Visa or Mastercard, plus a currency conversion assessment fee.
- Boingo Wi-Fi. As a Mastercard holder, you get unlimited access to over one million Wi-Fi hotspots in New Zealand and worldwide. A dedicated app for iPhone and Android lets you find and connect to hotspots near you.
- Book now, pay later. Book your travel now and pay for it later with your Flight Centre Mastercard.
- Additional cardholders. You can add up to 4 additional cardholders and earn Flight Centre Rewards for all purchases.
- Contactless payments. Tap and go with contactless card payments.
- Interest-free days. You can get up to 44 days interest free on purchases if you pay your statement balance off in full each month.
- Apple Pay. Connect your Flight Centre Mastercard with Apple Pay for more convenient payments.
- Authorised person. You can nominate an authorised person to your account. This person can view the balance, due payments, transaction information and Flight Centre Rewards, plus make payment arrangements and report the card as lost or stolen.
Fees and charges
- Annual account fee. An account fee of $50 is charged each year, split into two payments of $25.
- Interest rate. The standard interest rate for Flight Centre Mastercard is 22.95% for purchases and 24.95% for cash advances. Long term finance deals may be subject to interest-free finance periods.
- Establishment fee. The first time you use your card for long term finance, an establishment fee of $55 is charged.
- Advance fee. For additional long term finance purchases, an advance fee of $35 is charged.
- Cash advance fee. Cash advances are subject to a $2 fee when withdrawing from a domestic ATM or $3 from an international ATM.
- Minimum monthly payment. A minimum monthly payment of 3% of the monthly closing balance or $10 (whichever is greater) is required. An additional minimum payment amount may also apply for long-term finance purchases.
Additional fees apply for replacement cards, paper statements, variation of payment terms, making withdrawals from a teller and defaulting on payments.
Flight Centre long term finance deals
You can use your Flight Centre Mastercard for large purchases at thousands of participating outlets across New Zealand.
These retailers include retail stores, dentists, optometrists and hearing clinics, and means that you can get those items or healthcare services that you need now and spread payments over time.
You can take advantage of interest-free payments or deferred payments during promotional periods.
Some retailers and healthcare providers that offer long term finance deals include:
- Michael Hill
- Bay Audiology
- Carpet Court
- Hunting & Fishing
At Flight Centre, you can use long term finance to travel now and pay later. So you can book that dream holiday when you see that tickets are on sale and pay the balance off over a period.
All long term finance purchases involve a $55 establishment fee on the first transaction. An advance fee of $35 will apply to all long term finance purchases after that.
How do I manage my Flight Centre Mastercard?
To manage your Flight Centre Mastercard, you can download the app from the App Store or Google Play.
This app allows you to:
- Activate your card and set up your PIN
- Check your account balance and available credit limit
- See the minimum payment due
- View your Flight Centre Rewards
- Download statements for the last six months
- Get your card number for easy online shopping
The preferred option to make payments is by direct debit. You can download a form from the website or set it up by phone. Alternatively, you can make automatic payments or bill payments from your online banking.
How to apply for Flight Centre Mastercard
If you are ready to apply for Flight Centre Mastercard, ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria and have the appropriate documentation. The process takes around five minutes, and you can start by applying through Flight Centre Mastercard’s website
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- Reside in New Zealand
- Have a valid email address and phone number
- Agree to a credit check
Additional cardholders need to:
- Be at least 16 years old
- Hold an NZ Driver’s Licence
- Have an email address and mobile number different to your own
Bear in mind that all applications are subject to the issuers lending and credit criteria.
When you apply, you must have a photo ID and proof of address.
- Photo ID. A New Zealand passport or driver’s licence, or an Australian passport.
- Proof of address. A bank statement, utility bill, IRD letter, or insurance policy must be dated within the last three months and have the correct printed address.
The bottom line
Flight Centre Mastercard does have a higher interest rate, but it does fall in the range offered by other reward cards. If you’re not in the habit of paying off your balance each month, you need to consider how much interest you’ll pay compared to a low rate card. The long term finance deals with Flight Centre Mastercard offering no interest and no payments are attractive, but they can be expensive. Once the deal period is over, you are charged 22.95% p.a. interest until you pay off the balance.
Unlike other banks, you won’t pay unnecessary foreign currency fees with Flight Centre Mastercard. While this is not important to someone who only makes NZD transactions, for someone who travels or makes purchases in foreign currency, this could save a bunch of cash. However, before you make a final decision, make sure you consider all the options there are.