Mint Mobile prepaid phone plans review
Get a free SIM card and mobile hotspot — but you'll need to commit at least 3 months.
Mint Mobile is a straightforward prepaid phone service. Customers purchase SIM card kits that you can continuously renew. Its service caters more towards customers who already have an unlocked smartphone since they don’t offer any spectacular deals on new phones.
Find out what Mint Mobile costs, the pros and cons of its service, and some important details we found in its fine print.
How much do Mint Mobile prepaid phone plans cost?
Mint Mobile prepaid options come with unlimited talk and text, and have no upfront cost. Here’s what the plans cost:
Mint Mobile prepaid plan features
- Wi-Fi calling
- Mobile hotspot
- Bring your own device
- Keep your phone number
- Visual voicemail
- International service add-on
- Rollover data
- No autopay discount
Are there other discounts available?
Mint Mobile offers an attractive referral program. Each referral that you sign up earns you more and more credit towards your next plan renewal. Here’s how the referral tiers work:
|Referral number||Account credit|
Your sixth referral resets to the first tier, earning you a $25 account credit. And each friend that signs up also gets a $15 renewal credit.
Is there a data cap or speed throttling?
Yes. Customers who use more than 35GB on its unlimited plan and users who exceed their monthly data allowance will experience lower speeds of 128 Kbps or 2GB speed until their cycle resets.
What carrier network does Mint Mobile use?
Mint Mobile piggybacks off T-Mobile’s network, whose 4G LTE network currently covers 99% of Americans.
Pros and cons of Mint Mobile prepaid phone plans
Check out the perks and drawbacks of Mint Mobile.
- Competitive pricing. Mint Mobile offers great monthly rates on its phone plans. But since it aims to keep costs low, you won’t see too many special deals like free phone incentives.
- Free mobile hotspot. Mint Mobile lets you use your data however you like at no extra charge. All data packages can share their data allowance, and unlimited plans get 5GB for mobile hotspot.
- Free sim card. While some providers, like T-Mobile, may charge for a sim card or activation, Mint Mobile doesn’t nickel and dime you.
- Seven-day money-back guarantee. Cancel your purchase within seven days for any reason and get a full refund, minus shipping fees.
- Feels like a long-term contract. If you want the best price, you’ll need to commit to Mint Mobile for a full year. And pricing varies significantly between three-month and 12-month plans. For example, the monthly cost for a three-month 12GB plan costs 80% more than its 12-month plan.
- Limited customer service. You won’t get in-person support because Mint Mobile doesn’t have any physical stores. Customer service is limited to phone, email or chat.
- Limited phone deals. While Mint Mobile lets you lease your phone at retail cost, you won’t find too many phone promotions. For example, bigger — and more expensive — providers like Verizon or AT&T may offer free phones when you switch or trade-in your phone.
- Signup process isn’t intuitive. Unlike other companies that ask questions about what phone you’ll use with its service, Mint Mobile doesn’t have these prompts during the checkout process. We almost forgot to purchase a phone with our prepaid plan because its plans and phones are separate products in your shopping cart.
Compare Mint Mobile with other prepaid plans
How do I sign up for a Mint Mobile prepaid plan?
You’ll need a compatible, unlocked phone to use Mint Mobile. If your phone doesn’t qualify, you can purchase a new one through Mint Mobile.
Here’s the signup process broken down step by step.
- Navigate to the Mint Mobile homepage.
- Click or tap Shop plans in the menu bar.
- Browse plans and select View details.
- When you’ve found the right plan, select Buy now.
- If you need to buy a phone, hover over Phones in the menu bar and choose Buy a new one. If you’re bringing your own phone that’s compatible and unlocked, skip to step 8.
- Find a phone and select View details.
- Select your phone configuration, including color and memory, and choose Add to cart.
- Go to your cart and choose Proceed to checkout.
- Complete your billing and shipping information and select Continue.
- Enter your payment information and place your order.
Is a Mint Mobile prepaid phone plan worth it?
Yes. Mint Mobile uses T-Mobile’s broad network and offers some of the best prices for high-speed data. But be ready to buy a phone at full retail price and commit at least three months to Mint Mobile. Head to our comparison guide if you’re looking for a prepaid phone plan that’s month-to-month.