Michigan Farm Bureau car insurance review
Michiganders can get auto protection from over 450 local agents statewide, with lots of member perks to boot.
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you want access to a long list of discounts and personalized care.
- Pick something else if you’re hoping for quick and easy online coverage.
- Farm Bureau members and business owners can get covered.
No info available
New car protection
|New car protection||No info available|
|Pay schedule||No info available|
|Anti-theft device discount||No|
|Defensive driving discount||No|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Amy Stoltenberg writes about lifestyle and money for Finder, researching the best options for shopping, banking, insurance and authentic travel experiences. After studying writing and fashion at Savannah College of Art and Design, she worked designing apparel at a corporate behemoth before opting for a career with unlimited travel time. When her laptop’s closed, she can be found wandering the streets looking for happy hour and hole-in-the-wall eateries.
If you’re a Michigander looking for one-on-one help from an agent, Michigan Farm Bureau might be for you.
It offers a variety of different insurance products, so you can bundle any policies you need — including business, crop, farm, health, home, life and retirement insurance. And while it offers special deals for farmers, discounts are available for city-dwellers, too.
But if you’re not from Michigan, you’ll need to pick another provider. And if you prefer a provider that offers online quotes, you’ll want to compare other insurers.
What insurance coverage does MIFB cover?
You can build your own policy with an agent, picking and choosing from protection in the following areas:
- Property damage liability
- Comprehensive coverage
- Collision coverage
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist
What extra benefits and add-ons does Michigan Farm Bureau offer?
Like most Farm Bureau insurance companies, Michigan Farm Bureau offers extra benefits to members, including:
- Emergency roadside service
- Rental reimbursement coverage
- Electronic equipment coverage
- Custom equipment
- Travel interruption coverage
- Farmer replacement labor
- Replacement cost coverage
In addition to car insurance perks, members enjoy discounts on medical services, entertainment, car rentals, farm equipment and more. MIFB has partnered with more than 1,000 local spots to offer additional discounts, which you can find by searching its benefits map on the website.
What types of discounts can I get with Michigan Farm Bureau?
Save on car insurance with MIFB’s available discounts, including:
- SmartPay Bill Discount. Save cash by paying your premium all at once, or paying with an electronic transfer.
- Multi-Car Credit. Bundle two or more policies for extra savings.
- Safe Drivers Credit. If you’ve got a record free of citations and accidents — and keep it that way — you’ll be rewarded with lower rates.
- Multi-Policy Credit. Get a better deal if you insure more than one piece of property, like a house or mobile home, on top of your auto policy.
- Vehicle Safety Features Credit. Modern safety features, like airbags and antilock bags, will lend a lower monthly price.
Pros and cons of MIFB car insurance
- Regional expertise. It was founded in 1949 by farmers for farmers, and stays true to that philosophy. Since it only services Michigan residents, you can likely expect niche expertise in the state’s insurance requirements from over 450 agents available to assist you statewide.
- Great deals for members. It has a long list of savings on products specifically meant for farmers, from an Amerigas propane discount to Ford bonus cash.
- Comprehensive product offering. Auto insurance is really just the beginning. With Michigan Farm Bureau, you can get business, crop, farm, health, home, life and retirement policies.
- Top-rated company. National Underwriter ranks MIFB as one of the top 100 companies by net premiums. MIFB also lists as a Property and Casualty Top Performer with Ward Group, which analyzes financial performance, safety and consistency.
- No mobile app. If you’re a digital creature and like managing life via your cell phone, you might find Michigan Farm Bureau’s lack of app inconvenient.
- No online quote. It’s hard to know what you’re in for without talking to an agent, which might be too much too soon for hesitant shoppers.
- You’ve gotta live in Michigan. This may seem obvious, but if relocating is in your not-so-distant future — or if you want to keep the possibility open — you may want to go with a more national service.
Alternatives to Michigan Farm Bureau
How to apply for Michigan Farm Bureau car insurance
To apply for MIFB car insurance or to get a quote, you’ll need to contact a local agent. Call 800-292-2680 to get connected.
What info do I need to apply?
When you call to inquire about a policy, it’s typically best to have the following on hand:
- Driver info and driver’s license
- Driving history including records of any violations or accidents
- Vehicle info, including the VIN, make, model and license plate number
How do I make a claim with MIFB?
With Michigan Farm Bureau, you can either go online or call to make a claim.
- Online. Submit a form online by going to REPORT A CLAIM and selecting Auto as your claim type.
- Call. Get help throughout the process by calling 877-324-6764.
Frequently asked questions about Michigan Farm Bureau
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.