The Merit Platinum Card review
A store credit card with high monthly fees.
- Get this card if you want to shop at the Horizon Outlet website.
- Pick something else if you want a credit you can use anywhere.
- Apply with no credit history or with a poor credit score.
Recommended credit score
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
As a part of your membership program, you get access to My Privacy Protection, My Universal RX, My Roadside Protect and My Legal Assistance programs. If you use any of these, paying for the card may be worth it.
There’s a basic starter plan that costs $6.95 each month or $83.40 annually. But Merit Platinum only mentions you can enroll in this plan if you fail to pay the standard membership fee three months in a row. Consider reaching out to Merit Platinum and ask how you can switch plans if you don’t intend to use the standard membership program.
All things considered, the Merit Platinum Card is not a standard card you could use at a grocery store or a gas station, or to build credit. If that’s what you want, look for a other credit cards.
What to watch out for
- Not a standard credit card. You can only use this card for purchases made at the Horizon Outlet shopping site. Use it anywhere else and you’ll be declined.
- High monthly fee. You’ll pay $24.95 each month for the Horizon Card Service membership. This is almost $300 annually — expensive for a secured card. Even with benefits like free credit report, a discount on approved prescriptions, roadside assistance and access to some legal consultation — the fee might not be worth it.
- Reports to just one credit bureau. Merit Platinum Card reports to one credit bureau, and it doesn’t mention anywhere on its website which bureau. It’s best to use a credit-building card that reports to all three major credit bureaus — Experian, Equifax and TransUnion.
- No credit check. The card provider won’t do a credit check or employment check when you apply. This means you can be approved even if you have poor credit or no credit score at all.
- High credit limit. You start off with a $500 credit limit, which is decent for this type of card.
What are the membership programs you get with this card?
You get access to:
- My Universal RX. Get up to 40% off of covered prescriptions in local participating pharmacies.
- My Roadside Protect. Get up to three service calls or towing requests within a 12-month period for up to 15 miles that don’t exceed the $50 operator fee. Anything above that and you’re liable for the cost. Also, you can’t ask for more than one towing or service call within 30 days and no more than three service calls.
- My Legal Assistance. Get toll free and Internet access to legal resources. Get one free 30-minute consultation with a legal professional in your area specializing in the area you need counseling in.
How to apply for the Merit Platinum Card
- Click Apply now.
- Submit your email and ZIP code and click Continue activation.
- Fill out the application form.
- Review the form and submit.
What credit score do I need?
There’s no minimum credit score or credit history necessary.
Compare credit cards
The Merit Platinum Card may only be worth considering if you often shop at the Horizon Outlet store and you use the card’s membership programs. Otherwise, other cards for building credit or other store cards may be a better choice.