Marcus by Goldman Sachs CDs review
Open a CD with a competitive APY and low minimum deposit.
If you’re looking to grow your savings faster, consider a certificate of deposit from Marcus by Goldman Sachs. It’s an online bank that offers strong APYs, a low $500 opening deposit and flexible six-month to six-year terms. But if you need to access funds before maturity, you’ll have to withdraw your full balance.
|Minimum deposit to open||$500|
|Early withdrawal penalty||90 days interest for terms of 1 to 12 months |
270 days interest for terms of 13 to 60 months
365 days interest for terms of 61 + months
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards, banking and investments writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Business.com, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order by expertly navigating cutting-edge financial tools — including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
Marcus by Goldman Sachs is an online-only bank offering attractive CD rates across all terms. You can open any CD with a $500 minimum deposit, which is relatively low compared to other banks.
But watch out for early withdrawals. This bank doesn’t allow partial withdrawals, so you’ll have to withdraw your entire balance if you need to access your money before maturity.
How do I open a Marcus by Goldman Sachs CDs?
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the Marcus by Goldman Sachs CD website, click Open an Account.
- Complete the form by selecting your desired CD term, personal information, contact details and employment status.
- Enter a password of your choice and a password hint to create your account.
- Read the eSign Agreement, then check the box to indicate you agree to the terms.
- Read the Deposit Account Agreement, Privacy Notice and Electronic Signature Card. Then check the boxes to indicate you agree to the terms.
- Answer the tax certification questions and click Continue.
- Fund your CD through your external bank account, Marcus by Goldman Sach’s savings account or another method.
To open a CD with Marcus by Goldman Sachs, you’ll need to meet the following requirements:
- At least 18 years old
- US citizen or permanent resident
- Social Security number
- US mailing address
Have the following information on hand when submitting your application:
- Full name, date of birth, country of citizenship and Social Security number.
- Physical address, email address and primary phone number.
- Your employment status, occupation and annual income.
There are four ways you can fund your CD:
- External bank account linked to your Marcus by Goldman Sachs account
- Your Marcus by Goldman Sachs savings account
- Domestic wire transfer
Benefits of a Marcus by Goldman Sachs CD
With a quick online application, you can open a CD at this FDIC-insured bank. You’ll find the following advantages:
- High rates. CDs range from six months to six years and have competitive rates up to 0.7% APY.
- Compound interest. Funds are compounded daily, so you’ll earn a faster return.
- 10-day CD rate guarantee. If your CD term’s APY increases within 10 days of opening and funding your account, you’ll automatically receive the new rate.
- Relatively low minimum deposit. While you’ll find CDs with no minimum deposits, Marcus by Goldman Sachs’ minimum of $500 is relatively low compared to other CDs.
- No-penalty CDs available. You can open 7- to 13-month CDs that allow early withdrawals after seven days of funding with no penalties. You’ll also keep the interest you’ve earned.
What to watch out for
Similar to other CDs, Marcus by Goldman Sachs will automatically renew your CD for an additional term if the account is not closed within 10 days after its maturity rate. Other drawbacks include:
- No branches. Marcus by Goldman Sachs is an online-exclusive bank, so there’s no in-person assistance.
- No partial withdrawals. You must withdraw your full balance if you make a withdrawal prior to maturity.
But if you’re looking for a short-term CD with a higher interest rate, compare other CDs with potentially stronger yields.
Compare with other CDs
How do I cash in a CD?
After your CD matures, Marcus by Goldman Sachs will offer you a 10-day grace period to decide what you’d like to do with your funds. You’ll have three options:
- Withdraw the principal
- Renew the CD for the same term
- Close the CD and open a new one
If you don’t contact Marcus by Goldman Sachs by the end of the 10-day grace period, the bank will renew your CD for the same term.
What other savings products does Marcus by Goldman Sachs offer?
The bank offers an online savings account with 0.5% APY, no fees and no minimum deposit.