We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
How to send money to Thailand
Send international transfers to Thailand quickly and cheaply.
Our pick: OFX
OFX offers flexible transfer options, 24/7 customer support and no maximum limit. Send a minimum of $1,000 per year.
$0 transfer fees. Send fee-free transfers to over 195 countries worldwide.
Transfers in 55 currencies. OFX supports major, minor and exotic currencies.
Flexible options. Choose from forward contracts to scheduled transfers for convenience and flexibility.
Customer support. Larger transfers get personalized service over the phone.
Compare international money transfers to Thailand
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Thailand with our money transfer partners.
Banks versus money transfer services
We use our banks to take care of all our other financial needs, so surely we should use them when we need to send an international money transfer, right? Not necessarily. While major US banks offer money transfer services, they usually present less competitive exchange rates coupled with high transfer fees.
You can often save money by using the services of a dedicated money transfer company. These providers specialize in handling overseas money transfers, offering attractive exchange rates and affordable transfer fees.
Case Study: Carl sends money to Thailand
Carl’s son Jim is spending a year studying abroad in Bangkok, and Carl needs to find an easy and affordable way to transfer $1,000 to Jim to help him pay his rent. Rather than ask his bank to take care of the transfer, Carl decides to compare the features of a couple of money transfer companies to see if he can find a better deal.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 35.05 THB||1 USD = 34.27 THB|
|Transfer options||Bank account deposit||Cash pickup|
|Transfer speed||5 business days||10 minutes|
|Total THB received||35,050 THB||34,270 THB|
As you can see, Carl can send almost 780 THB more and also save $11 in fees by using the first transfer company.
Find the best provider for your transfer
Answer three quick questions and we'll give you an instant recommendation for a money transfer service based on your needs.
Question 1 of 2
Based on your answers, check out:
How to compare transfer companies for Thailand Baht
By comparing a few elements of your transfer, you can ensure that you get the best deal for your needs.
- Exchange rates. Nearly all providers skew exchange rates for a profit. Compare the rate you’re offered to the mid-market rate — the rate banks and transfer services use when they trade among themselves — and look for the smallest margin between them.
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large amount, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- Payment and delivery options. Some transfer companies allow you to pay with a credit card online, by phone or through an app. Others offer agent locations for cash payments and pickups. Also ask how your recipient can receive your funds: bank account, cash pickup, mobile wallet and more.
- Transfer speeds. If it needs to be there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pickups, often in minutes. If you have more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- Transfer limits. Your best option might depend on how much you want to send. For large transfers, weigh the best exchange rate — especially since providers encourage large transfers by offering low fees. For smaller amounts, consider the fees you’ll pay on top of the exchange rate.
- Flexible transfer options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Customer support. Most companies offer customer service by Internet chat, phone, in person or by email. Make sure help will be available if you need it.
Foreign exchange rates explained
Exchange rates shift on a daily basis depending on a number of political and economic factors. If a currency is strong, you can get more money when exchanging it with a weaker currency. This means for every dollar you transfer to Thailand, you’ll get almost 33 Baht in return.
Options for sending money to Thailand from the US
- Bank transfers. Many major US banks can safely wire your funds to countries around the world. Banks rely on existing links between banks and banking systems worldwide. However, a downside is the frustratingly high fees and weaker exchange rates you’ll receive by going through your bank.
- Online money transfer services. These specialists offer more affordable transfers than banks do, allowing you to quickly and easily manage your transactions from home. With competitive exchange rates and lower fees, you can send funds from your bank account. Many also allow you to pay with a credit or debit card.
- Providers with cash pickup. Trusted providers like Western Union and MoneyGram offer the key advantage of giving your recipient fast access to the cash you send — sometimes within minutes. You can often pay online or at one of the thousands of agent locations worldwide. However, services typically cost more than an online transfer specialist and vary by where you’re transferring your money and how you’re paying for it.
- PayPal transfers. Not just for online purchases, PayPal offers transfers to more than 100 countries and supports multiple currencies. Its exchange rates are often better than those you’ll get from a bank but not quite as strong as rates from money transfer companies. PayPal calculates its transfer fee as a percentage of the amount you’re sending — meaning it’s often better for sending smaller amounts of money.
- International money order. You can get this type of money order from your bank and send it overseas to your recipient, who then cashes it in with their own bank. While more secure than a personal check, it’s a slower option than using an electronic transfer. It also costs a little more — you’ll have to purchase the check, and your recipient may be charged a fee by their own bank cashed.
What are the ways that I can send money to Thailand?
- Bank transfers. Many major US banks will allow you to send money to Thailand.
- Money transfer providers. Providers like Ria and XE can help you quickly and easily transfer your money online.
- Providers with cash pickup. Western Union and MoneyGram allow you to send funds for cash pickup at agent locations.
- PayPal. Electronic payment giant PayPal allows you to send money from the US to Thailand.
- Checks and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international check overseas, obtained from your bank or US Postal Service.
How to send money to Thailand
- Choose a provider from our comparison table above.
- Check the rates and transfer time.
- Click Go to Site and register for an account with the provider.
- Keep a record of any transaction reference numbers you receive.
- Review the progress of your transfer.
Tips for picking up cash
Whether picking up funds in Bangkok or anywhere else in the country, a few simple safety precautions will prevent you from becoming a target for thieves.
- Call ahead. Knowing the company’s business hours and going during daylight hours will help prevent theft.
- Deposit your money immediately. The sooner you get your money in the bank, the safer it is, so determine your path ahead of time and go straight there.
- Bring a friend. Having a friend accompany you will deter others from approaching and trying to scam you.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money in your wallet before leaving the office or keep it inside a hidden pocket in your clothes.
Emergency transfers to Thailand
You might need to send an emergency cash transfer to Thailand— for example, if a friend traveling through the country loses their wallet. When you need to transfer funds urgently, your fastest possible transfer will often be your most expensive option. Carefully review the exchange rate and transfer fee against your needs so that you understand exactly how much it will cost you.
Overseas money transfers are easy, no matter which method you choose. But knowing how to compare your options gives you a leg up in terms of cost, rates and transfer speeds. An informed choice is your better choice.
Frequently asked questions
Cash pickup locations in Thailand
Ask an Expert