If you’re looking for ways to send money to Serbia, start by comparing exchange rates and transfer fees.
XE Money Transfer
XE specializes in a wide range of foreign currency solutions and offers an affordable solution when you need to send money overseas.
- Send money to 170+ countries.
- Competitive exchange rates that are often better than banks.
- Transfer up to $500,000 online.
- See exchange rates in real-time.
Compare money transfer services to Serbia
How do I compare transfer companies when sending money to Serbia?
- Exchange rates. Besides what you pay for the transfer service, it’s important to choose a service that offers a competitive exchange rate.
- Pick-up methods. Check with your recipient to see which pick-up method would suit them best, especially if they’re not mobile or far from a pick-up location.
- Fees. Even if a service offers a competitive exchange rate, make sure that you aren’t being charged service or conversion fees for the transfer. Sometimes a good exchange rate is negated by additional fees.
- Turnaround time. Depending on how urgently your recipient needs the money, you can choose between services that offer instantaneous delivery (Western Union, for example) or those that make money available within one to three working days.
- Transfer methods. The quickest way to send money is usually via online transfer, but you can also choose transactions handled over the phone, in person or through your bank.
- Transfer options. Besides just a one-time transfer, you can also choose to set up regular scheduled payments, forwards contracts (which allow you to lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later) and market orders (which allow you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met).
- Minimum transfer amounts. Some services require that you send a minimum amount, usually between $10 and $50. In some cases, fees are waived for transfers over a certain amount.
Comparing money transfer companiesAndrej’s parents decided to move back to Belgrade after 25 years in New York. They’ll be moving back to the family house, but it needs extensive renovations. Andrej, his sisters and their cousins want to help with expenses, so they’re looking for a quick, cheap way to send $500 back home to Serbia.
|Money transfer service 1||Money transfer service 2|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 101.22 RSD||1 USD = 100.51 RSD|
|Amount received for $500||50,610 RSD||50,775 RSD|
|Transfer time||1 to 3 business days||2 business days|
|Transfer options||By phone, online||Online|
They decide to go with the first money transfer option because it offers a better exchange rate on top of a lower fee, and the money might even get to Andrej’s parents sooner.
What are the steps to send money to Serbia?
Sending money to Serbia from the US is a relatively simple process. These instructions cover the basics, but remember, every provider may have slightly different steps.
- Compare your money transfer options in the table above.
- Click Go to site to be redirected to the provider’s website.
- Create an account and start a transfer.
- Provide your recipient’s information.
- Select the amount you want to send.
- Pay for your transfer and save your tracking number.
You can use your tracking number to follow up on the progress of your transfer.
Foreign exchange rates explainedExchange rate determines how much one currency will yield when traded for a different currency. The US dollar is strong against the Serbian dinar, which means you’ll be able to send more dinar for every dollar you spend. As of September 2018, the amount was about 101.49 SAR per 1 USD. Keep in mind that this amount can fluctuate due to inflation, interest rates and other economic factors.
Emergency cash transfers in Serbia
The SAR isn’t a widely traded currency, but you may still be able to complete a quick transfer if you find the right provider. However, it may mean you pay more in fees and receive a less-than-optimal exchange rate. If your recipient can wait, it may make more economic sense to use normal processing times so you can save on fees and your recipient can get more when the transfer does arrive.
Tips for picking up cash in Serbia
Whenever you pick up cash, you should follow a few simple tips to keep you and your money safe from theft.
- Visit the agent location during business hours
- Bring along a friend
- Know your route home ahead of time
- Deposit your cash as soon as possible
Sending money to Serbia doesn’t have to be a difficult process. Because you may only have a few options, it pays to compare exchange rates and find a provider that doesn’t charge huge fees for every transfer. And if you’re looking for more details before you make a final decision, our guide on money transfers may prove to be a useful resource as you navigate a relatelively complex process.