Taking time to compare your options and save money when sending funds to Romania.
World First International Money Transfers
Most Convenient money transfers with excellent customer service. Send to 140+ currencies in 45 countries.
Special $0 fee offer for finder.com readers:
Because World First is a trusted partner of finder.com, you can send your money transfer overseas for free.
- Enjoy competitive exchange rates.
- Get even better exchange rates with forward contracts and limit orders.
- Receive weekly updates on market exchange rates.
Compare money transfer services to Romania
Use our interactive table to compare transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Romania with our money transfer partners.
Banks vs. money transfer companies
Your major US banks may offer the option to send funds to Romania. But banks typically charge high transfer fees and offer exchange rates that are significantly lower than the mid-market rate — or the rate banks and transfer providers use when trading among themselves.
A reputable money transfer specialist can offer better exchange rates and also charge lower fees, saving you money and putting more Romanian leu into your recipient’s pocket. Some providers offer electronic transfers to bank accounts only, while others also provide cash pickups, mobile wallet payments and cash delivery services.
Adrian’s marriage may have broken down long before he moved to the US, but this Romanian expat remains in close contact with his ex-wife in Bucharest. When she asks him for an urgent transfer of $1,000, he’s happy to oblige. But before handing over his cash, he compares the services of two online transfer specialists to see which can save him the most money.
|Money Transfer Company A||Money Transfer Company B|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 2.761 RON||1 USD = 2.833 RON|
|Transfer speed||1–3 business days||1–3 business days|
|Transfer option||Bank transfer||Bank transfer|
|Total RON received||2,761 RON||2,833 RON|
Adrian discovers that he can send an extra 72 Romania leu using Money Transfer Company B — and can also save $10 in transfer fees.
How do I compare transfer companies when sending money to Romania?
- Exchange rates. Nearly all providers skew exchange rates for a profit. Compare the rate you’re offered to the mid-market rate — the rate banks and transfer services use when they trade among themselves — and look for the smallest margin between them.
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large amount, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- “Hedging” options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Transfer limits. Your best option might depend on how much you want to send. For large transfers, weigh the best exchange rate — especially since providers encourage large transfers by offering low fees. For smaller amounts, consider the fees you’ll pay on top of the exchange rate.
- Transfer speed. If it needs to be there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pickups, often in minutes. If you’ve more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- Pickup options. Will the funds you send be deposited into a bank account or mobile wallet, or will your recipient be able to collect the transfer in cash within minutes?
- Customer service. Most companies offer customer service by Internet chat, phone, in person or by email. Make sure help will be available if you need it.
The exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency. Most countries’ exchange rates are flexible, which means they can change from moment to moment. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
What are my options for sending money to Romania?
- Bank transfers. Many major US banks will allow you to wire money to banks in Romania.
- Money transfer providers. It’s simple and convenient to send an online money transfer to Romania from the comfort of your home.
- Providers with cash pickup. Companies like Western Union and MoneyGram offer the option of cash pickups from thousands of agent locations across Romania.
- PayPal. Electronic payment giant PayPal allows you to send money from the US to Romania.
- M-Pesa. M-Pesa is a safe, secure way to send, receive and store money through your mobile phone or an app. Top up your account at one of more than 287,000 agent locations and then send money to loved ones, who can visit an agent to withdraw their funds.
- Checks and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international check overseas, obtained from your bank or US Postal Service.
Emergency cash transfers in Romania
You might need to send an emergency cash transfer to Romania — for example, if a friend traveling through the country loses their wallet. When you need to transfer funds urgently, your fastest possible transfer will often be your most expensive option. Carefully review the exchange rate and transfer fee against your needs so that you understand exactly how much it will cost you.
Find a money transfer location near you
Tips for picking up cash in Romania
Whether picking up funds in Romania or anywhere else around the world, take a few simple safety precautions to prevent yourself becoming a target for thieves.
- Call ahead. Learn the company’s business hours and choose a safe time to pick up your cash. Daylight hours are best.
- Bring a friend. Carrying money when alone can be dangerous. Ask a friend to come along.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money to theft or simple carelessness grows the longer you have it with you. Go straight to a bank and deposit your cash as soon as possible.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money in your purse or wallet before leaving the office. Carrying cash out in the open could make you a target.
What are the steps to sending money to Romania?
You will most likely need to follow these steps when you want to send money to Romania:
- Sign up for an account. It’s typically free to sign up for an account online by providing your name, contact information and a valid photo ID.
- Enter your transaction details. Provide information about how much money you’re sending, in which currency and where to. You’ll also need to provide your recipient’s bank account info or details of where they will collect the cash.
- Complete your transaction. Review the exchange rate and fee that will apply to your transaction to determine the full cost of the transfer. Once you’ve paid for the transaction, hold on to any receipt you are given so that you can track your funds.