Take the time to compare your options so you can save money when sending funds to Romania.
Why we like: WorldRemit
Send money to 140+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.
Your first transfer is free with the code FINDER.
- Low upfront fees and exchange rates.
- Easy to use with round-the-clock help.
- Get cash to family and friends in minutes.
Compare money transfer services to Romania
Banks versus money transfer companies
Some major US banks may offer the option to send funds to Romania. But banks typically charge high transfer fees and offer exchange rates that are significantly lower than the mid-market rate — or the rate banks and transfer providers use when trading among themselves.
A reputable money transfer specialist can offer better exchange rates and also charge lower fees, saving you money and putting more Romanian leu into your recipient’s pocket. Some providers offer electronic transfers to bank accounts only, while others also provide cash pickups, mobile wallet payments and cash delivery services.
Case Study: Adrian sends money to RomaniaAdrian’s marriage may have broken down long before he moved to the US, but this Romanian expat remains in close contact with his ex-wife in Bucharest. When she asks him for an urgent transfer of $1,000, he’s happy to oblige. But before handing over his cash, he compares the services of two online transfer specialists to see which can save him the most money.
|Money Transfer Company A||Money Transfer Company B|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 3.761 RON||1 USD = 3.833 RON|
|Transfer speed||1 to 3 business days||1 to 3 business days|
|Transfer option||Bank transfer||Bank transfer|
|Total RON received||3,761 RON||3,833 RON|
Adrian discovers that he can send an extra 72 Romania leu using Money Transfer Company B — on top of saving $10 in transfer fees.
What are my options for sending money to Romania?
- Bank transfers. Many major US banks will allow you to wire money to banks in Romania.
- Money transfer providers. It’s simple and convenient to send an online money transfer to Romania from the comfort of your home.
- Providers with cash pickup. Companies like Western Union and MoneyGram offer the option of cash pickups from thousands of agent locations across Romania.
- PayPal. Electronic payment giant PayPal allows you to send money from the US to Romania.
- M-Pesa. M-Pesa is a safe, secure way to send, receive and store money through your mobile phone or an app. Top up your account at one of more than 287,000 agent locations and then send money to loved ones, who can visit an agent to withdraw their funds.
- Checks and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international check overseas. Your bank and the post office should have options for you.
Foreign exchange rates explainedExchange rate is used by banks and money transfer companies to determine how much one country’s currency is worth when converted to the currency of another country. The US dollar is strong against the Romanian leu, which means you’ll be able to send more leu for every dollar you spend. But when you make a transfer, keep an eye on it. Exchange rates fluctuate regularly, so you’ll want to make sure you’re getting a good one.
What are the steps to sending money to Romania?
- Compare your options in the money transfer table above.
- Select a provider and click Go to site.
- Create an account with the provider.
- Start a transaction and provide your recipient’s information.
- Enter the amount you want to send and pay for your transfer.
- Save your transaction number or receipt.
You can use your tracking number to keep up with the progress of your transfer, and if you run into any problems, you can use it to check in with your provider to have your questions answered.
Emergency cash transfers to Romania
Emergency cash transfers to Romania are possible, but you’ll need to be prepared to spend more money on fees to send less leu to your recipient. This is because money transfer companies often charge higher fees and offer less favorable exchange rates when you need to make an emergency transfer. Although it can be quick, it will cost extra. Take your time to compare your rates and find a company that won’t charge you an arm and a leg for the transfer. This way, your recipient gets the money they need and you save on fees.
Tips for picking up cash in Romania
If your recipient decides to pick up cash, share these tips to help keep them safe when they travel with large amounts of money.
- Call ahead. Learn the company’s business hours and choose a safe time to pick up your cash. Daylight hours are best.
- Bring a friend. Carrying money when alone can be dangerous. Ask a friend to come along.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money to theft or simple carelessness grows the longer you have it with you. Go straight to a bank and deposit your cash as soon as possible.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money in your purse or wallet before leaving the office. Carrying cash out in the open could make you a target.
Sending money to Romania doesn’t need to be frustrating, especially if you plan on making multiple transfers. By comparing your rates, you can get the money your recipient needs without spending too much on fees and sacrificing good exchange rates. Read our international money transfer guide to better understand the process and learn more ways you can send money to Romania.