Compare exchange rates and transfer fees when you need to send money to Myanmar.
From bank transfers and online transactions to options that allow recipients to collect your funds within minutes, sending an international money transfer to Myanmar is easy. However, do your research and shop around for the best available deal.
World First International Money Transfers
Special $0 fee offer for finder.com readers
Because World First is a trusted partner of finder.com, you can send your money transfer overseas for free.
No fees: There is no online transfer fee for all finder.com customers.
- Enjoy competitive exchange rates.
- Spot contracts, forward contracts and limit orders are available.
- Receive weekly updates on market exchange rates.
Compare your wire transfer options to Myanmar
Use the international wire transfer calculator below to compare rates when you send money to Myanmar.
Save money on your personal or business international money transfer today. Fill in the form and you’ll be contacted by a foreign exchange expert to have an obligation-free discussion about your options. With over 17 years of foreign exchange expertise and over $100 billion transferred, OFX can help with all your currency exchange needs, including:
In 2013, the US eased its economic sanctions against Myanmar, allowing four Myanmar banks to do business with US companies: Asia Green Development Bank, Ayeyarwady Bank, Myanma Economic Bank and Myanma Investment & Commercial Bank.
Despite the lifting of sanctions, as of 2015 many major US banks have hesitated to begin offering money transfers to and from Myanmar. Until foreign banks establish a stronger presence in Myanmar, your easiest options are MoneyGram and Western Union.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Myanmar
- Exchange rates. Look at the exchange rates offered for turning US dollars into Burmese kyats. Use the published mid-market rate as a baseline to compare against the rates you’re being offered. The company that’s closest is offering you the best rate.
- Fees. Before you complete your transfer, confirm how much you’ll have to pay in transfer fees. What you’ll pay sometimes varies by payment option.
- Transfer methods. Can you place transfers online, or do you need to visit an agent location? Can you send your funds over the phone?
- Turnaround time. How long will you have to wait until your funds are available for your recipient? Processing times can vary depending by company and hours of operation at each cash pickup location.
- Minimum amount. Will you need to exceed a minimum transfer limit with each transaction?
- Pickup methods. Can your beneficiary pick up cash from their nearest transfer agent, or will the funds be deposited into their bank account?
- Customer service. Is customer support available by phone, email or live chat, and are the hours convenient for your needs?
For example, in December 2016 the US dollar was worth approximately 19 Mexican pesos. However, most countries’ exchange rates are flexible, which means it can change from moment to moment. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
How to send money to Myanmar from America
- Western Union. Western Union operates an extensive branch network throughout Myanmar. You can initiate a transfers online or by visiting an agent location worldwide.
- MoneyGram. MoneyGram has been offering its services in Myanmar since 2013. It offers 10-minute transfers that can be picked up from its locations throughout Myanmar.
Emergency cash transfers in Myanmar
Depending on your circumstances, you may find that you need to send an urgent transfer. For example, you might have a close relative traveling through Myanmar who has all their luggage, including their cash, stolen. Happily, both MoneyGram and Western Union offer rapid transfers to Myanmar, but just remember to double-check the exchange rate and fee that applies to your transaction to make sure you’re completely aware of how much the transfer will cost.
As for anyone who has been a victim of theft in Myanmar, their first move should be to report the matter to the local police. They may also be able to receive emergency assistance from their travel insurer or credit card issuer.Back to topFind a money transfer location near you
Tips for picking up cash in Myanmar
- Don’t visit a transfer agent in an area where you don’t feel safe.
- Don’t pick up cash alone — if possible, ask a friend to accompany you.
- Keep your cash concealed and don’t flash it around in public.
- Avoid any high-crime areas.
- Don’t carry cash around for any longer than you need to. Immediately deposit the funds in your bank account.
How to send money to Myanmar
Before you can send an international money transfer to Myanmar, you will need to provide:
- Your name and contact information.
- Proof of ID.
- Your recipient’s name, address and contact information.
- The details of your transaction, such as how much you wish to send and in what currency.
Once you’ve handed over your money, you’ll receive a transaction reference number. Use this reference number to track the progress of your funds.