When you need to get money to a loved one overseas, the last thing you want to have to deal with is navigating a potentially complicated and expensive process. Sending money from the United States to Myanmar doesn’t have to be expensive. Compare the transfer fees and exchange rates of the many options available to you to get the most Burmese kyats for your dollar.
From bank transfers and online transactions to options that allow recipients to collect your funds within minutes, sending an international money transfer to Myanmar is easy. However, do your research and shop around for the best available deal.
Compare international wire transfer services
Use the international wire transfer calculator below to compare rates when you send money to Myanmar.
Save money on your personal or business international money transfer today. Fill in the form and you’ll be contacted by a foreign exchange expert to have an obligation-free discussion about your options.
With over 17 years of foreign exchange expertise and over $100 billion transferred, OFX can help with all your currency exchange needs, including:
- Buying property abroad
- Regular overseas payments
- Risk management
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Myanmar
- Exchange rates. Look at the exchange rates offered for turning U.S. dollars into Burmese kyats and see which company offers higher rates.
- Fees. Use a company’s price estimator tool to check the amount you will have to pay in transfer fees. You may find that some companies charge higher fees for different transfer methods.
- Transfer methods. Can you place transfers online or do you need to visit a branch location? Can you send your funds over the phone?
- Turnaround time. How long will you have to wait until your funds are available for your beneficiary? Processing times can vary depending on the company you choose and the hours of operation of the cash pickup location.
- Minimum amount. Will you need to exceed a minimum transfer limit with each transaction?
- Pickup methods. Can your beneficiary pick up the cash from their nearest transfer agent, or will the funds be deposited into their bank account?
- Customer service. In what forms (phone, email, online chat) is customer support available and during what hours?
How to send money to Myanmar from America
- Western Union. Western Union operates an extensive branch network throughout Myanmar. Transfers can be lodged online or by visiting a Western Union branch.
- MoneyGram. MoneyGram has been offering its services in Myanmar since mid-2013. It offers 10-minute transfers that can be picked up from its locations throughout Myanmar.
Emergency cash transfers in Myanmar
There are certain circumstances where you may find that you need to send an urgent transfer. For example, you might have a close relative traveling through Myanmar who has all their luggage, including their cash, stolen. Happily, both MoneyGram and Western Union offer rapid transfers to Myanmar, but just remember to double-check the exchange rate and fee that applies to your transaction to make sure you’re completely aware of how much the transfer will cost.
As for anyone who has been a victim of theft in Myanmar, their first move should be to report the matter to the local police. They may also be able to receive emergency assistance from their travel insurer or credit card issuer.Back to topFind a money transfer location near you
Tips for picking up cash in Myanmar
- Don’t visit a transfer agent in an area where you do not feel safe.
- Don’t pick up cash alone – if possible, ask a friend to accompany you.
- Keep your cash concealed and don’t flash it around in public.
- Avoid any high-crime areas.
- Don’t carry cash around for any longer than you need to – deposit the funds in your bank account.
How to send money to Myanmar
Before you can send an international money transfer to Myanmar, you will need to provide a range of details, including:
- Your name and address
- Your contact details
- Proof of ID
- Your recipient’s name, address and contact information
- The details of your transaction, such as the amount of money you wish to send and in what currency
Once you have handed over your money you will receive a transaction reference number – this can be used to monitor the progress of your funds.