Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to Barbados
Use an online provider to get the most affordable transfer.
Barbados is not a popular transfer destination, which means there are limited options for sending money there. While your bank may offer transfer services, an online money transfer company will generally offer better rates.
Compare international money transfers to Barbados
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Best ways to send money to Barbados
Online money transfer providers typically offer the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees on money transfers to Barbados. Some offer cash pickup in as little as a few minutes, while others transfer to bank accounts.
1. Digital money transfer servicesCompanies like XE and PayPal specialize in foreign currencies, making them some of the most cost-effective ways to send money to Barbados. Most offer transfers directly to your recipient's bank account in Barbados, often in as little as a day or two.
- Why? Digital money transfer services are cheaper because they exist online and don't have as many employees or physical locations.
2. Cash transfersServices like WorldRemit and Western Union allow you to transfer cash for pickup at a local branch in Barbados— often in 15 minutes. While it's a fast way to send money, you'll pay for the convenience in weak exchange rates and high fees.
- Why? Picking up cash is more expensive because more people are involved.
3. BanksThe Barbados dollar may be offered by your bank, but beware of high fees and wide margins on the exchange rate. Compare bank transfers to digital services and other options before sending a wire transfer to Barbados.
- Why? Banks offer money transfers as a secondary service so don't strive to offer competitive prices.
Let's crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to BarbadosLet's say you need to send $1,000 to family in Barbados. Here's what you might face as far as fees and exchange rates as of April 2, 2021.
|Digital money transfer service||Cash transfer||Bank transfer|
|Fee||$0||$4||$25 + additional correspondent bank fees|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 1.984 BBD||1 USD = 1.990 BBD||1 USD = 1.966 BBD|
|Transfer speed||1-2 days||Minutes||2-5 days|
The bank option ends up being the slowest and gets the smallest amount of money to your recipient in Barbados. A digital transfer sends the most, which is BBD$67 more than the bank. For speed, a cash transfer can typically have your transfer to Barbados in as little as 15 minutes. Make sure there's a cash pickup location near your recipient before sending.
How to send money to Barbados online
Sign up and send money to Barbados with a digital money transfer specialist in four steps:
- Sign up for a free account. Compare and pick a provider before signing up for a free online account using your contact information, proof of ID and preferred payment method.
- Provide transfer details. Submit your recipient's contact information and pick a delivery method. If transferring to a bank, you'll need their bank account details in Barbados.
- Confirm transfer details. Double-check your payment method, expected fees and destination.
- Save your receipt. Record your receipt's confirmation number to track the progress of your transfer to Barbados. Some money transfer providers send a text or email when your transfer is complete.
Get the most out of your money transfer to Barbados
Weigh costs and fees against convenience to best compare money transfer providers that send to Barbados. Consider:
- Exchange rates. The USD–BBD relationship fluctuates, so using a service that allows you to lock in exchange prices may help you save money down the line if the Barbados dollar rises against the US dollar.
- Transfer fees. Transferring money overseas nearly always requires fees, but they might be hidden in the exchange rate. When sending large amounts, it may be cheaper to pay a flat fee to secure a stronger USD–BBD exchange rate.
- Transfer limits. How much you can send varies by company, and different amounts can attract higher or lower fees. Shop around for the best deal on the amount of Barbados dollars you're sending to Barbados.
- Turnaround. Transferring money through a local bank can take a business week or longer. If you need the funds delivered quickly, seek out a digital specialist that offers instant transfers to Barbados.
- Sending limits. Comparing prices for one large transfer instead of many small transfers is typically easier, so picking the service you use based on how much you're sending is a valid strategy for saving money.
- Transfer methods. Whether you want money sent to a bank account in Barbados or picked up as cash at a local agent, narrow down a company that matches your preferred delivery method.
Emergency cash transferWhen urgency trumps cost to get your money to Barbados quickly, look for money transfer companies that support cash pickup in minutes. You can pay with a credit or debit card for fast pickup, but fees are higher than other methods.
Barbados' exchange rates explained
Banks and money transfer companies use exchange rate to calculate how much Barbados' currency is worth when converted to USD. The USD-BBD relationship can change daily based on global economic stability, interest rates, inflation and more.Today's exchange rate USD to BBD
What to watch out for
Sending money to relatives or family members in Barbados may be subject to taxes on the money transfer and certain documents may be required.
Taxes on transfers to Barbados
In general, any large transfers being sent from the US to Barbados should be filed with the IRS to avoid any penalties.
Receiving money in Barbados:
- Transfer confirmation details like a transfer number, an MTCN, a reference number or a tracking number, depending on the company.
- Government-issued ID like a passport or similar official ID may be required to pick up your transfer.
- Sender's information. Take along your sender's full name, the sending country and their address, if known.
Sending to Barbados from the US:
- Proof of identification like a government-issued ID or your SSN number.
- Recipient information like their name, address and bank account information in Barbados.
Sending your hard-earned money to Barbados shouldn't cost a fortune. Compare money transfer companies that specialize in foreign transactions for the strongest rates, lowest fees and flexible delivery. For transfers to other countries, rely on our country-specific guides the next time you need to make a transfer.
More guides on Finder
M&T Starter Savings account review
A kids savings account with an interest rate that compounds daily but has long hold times for customer service.
Garden Savings FCU Kids Club Savings account review
A kids’ savings account with a generous interest rate that transitions to a lackluster regular savings account when your child turns 18.
Axie Infinity guide: How to play and earn
Axie Infinity is an RPG game that is currently dominating the NFT sector. Discover what Axies are, what makes them unique and how you can earn money simply by playing.
Quontic Bank High Yield Savings account review
A savings account with a competitive interest rate and comes with an ATM card.
Clearwater Credit Union Primary Savings Account review
Clearwater Credit Union’s primary savings account offers the convenience of online and in-person banking — but lacks a high APY rate.
Key4Kids Savings account review
Key4Kids Savings account is best for kids wanting more access to their money.
Coinbase vs Robinhood
Discover which exchange is better suited to cryptocurrency trading after comparing things like fees, security and features.
UBS Resource Management account review
The UBS Resource Management account offers nationwide ATM rebates, but its annual fee is comparatively expensive.
Rising Bank High Yield Savings Account review
Rising Bank offers competitive interest rates on it’s savings accounts— 7 times higher than the national average. But it’s not compounded.
Review: FTX US cryptocurrency exchange
What you need to know about using FTX US, including fees, available cryptocurrencies and what payment methods are available.